Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC pipe glue question

Yesterday I was running a small amount of pvc pipe for another faucet. I was
using an older can of pipe cement(glue) and after getting abot 80% of the
job done, I for some reason looked at the bottom of the can. The use by date
is '06', but the glue seemed to be fine. I'm wondering now if I should get a
new can and start over and re-do what I've got done or if the glue will hold
just fine. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 7:42 am, "Paul O." wrote:
Yesterday I was running a small amount of pvc pipe for another faucet. I was
using an older can of pipe cement(glue) and after getting abot 80% of the
job done, I for some reason looked at the bottom of the can. The use by date
is '06', but the glue seemed to be fine. I'm wondering now if I should get a
new can and start over and re-do what I've got done or if the glue will hold
just fine. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

If the consistency seemed fine and it doesn't leak...don't worry about
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 7:42 am, "Paul O." wrote:
Yesterday I was running a small amount of pvc pipe for another faucet. I was
using an older can of pipe cement(glue) and after getting abot 80% of the
job done, I for some reason looked at the bottom of the can. The use by date
is '06', but the glue seemed to be fine. I'm wondering now if I should get a
new can and start over and re-do what I've got done or if the glue will hold
just fine. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

As long as it was useable I think you'll find it will work just fine.
I've used it years old and when it got thick I thinned it with lacquer
thinner and all went well.. I think they put those dates on so people
will spend more money. You know the usual American, RIP OFF
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul O." wrote in message
Yesterday I was running a small amount of pvc pipe for another faucet. I
was using an older can of pipe cement(glue) and after getting abot 80% of
the job done, I for some reason looked at the bottom of the can. The use
by date is '06', but the glue seemed to be fine. I'm wondering now if I
should get a new can and start over and re-do what I've got done or if the
glue will hold just fine. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

I used some partially set (gummy) glue to do a non-essential oudoor project
under my deck and it did just fine. Yours should be no problem at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul,

Yesterday I was running a small amount of pvc pipe for another faucet.
I was using an older can of pipe cement(glue) and after getting abot
80% of the job done, I for some reason looked at the bottom of the
can. The use by date is '06', but the glue seemed to be fine. I'm
wondering now if I should get a new can and start over and re-do what
I've got done or if the glue will hold just fine. Thanks.

As long as the cement was still fluid (not gelled) it should work as good
as new. I recommend tossing the cement when it starts to gel, but I have
used partially gelled cement in a pinch without any noticeable issues.

Generally, the cement will keep a long time unless you open the can. Then
the air in the can lets it start gelling. That's why I prefer to buy
several smaller cans instead of a single large one. I can use the small can
for the occasional odd job, and use a new can the next time I need to do
something. The larger cans only make sense if you have a big project, like
plumbing a whole house, or if you do plumbing work frequently.

Anthony

Glue for foam pipe insulation jeffc Home Repair 14 March 31st 18 05:14 AM
Glue Question Robert11 Home Repair 8 August 8th 07 08:34 PM
Plumbing question: getting piece of broken pipe out of drain pipe Joe Home Repair 2 October 22nd 06 03:53 AM
different glue for PVC pipe with long shelf life? autonut843 Home Repair 4 May 31st 06 04:13 PM
glue question [email protected] Woodworking 6 May 6th 06 12:01 AM