Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Basement receptacles GFI ... what about broken receptacles to controllighting ?

If I wire the basement with GFI receptacles, is there anyway that the
receptacle can be broken so that one half of the duplex could be used
to control lighting in the room ?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
If I wire the basement with GFI receptacles, is there anyway that the
receptacle can be broken so that one half of the duplex could be used
to control lighting in the room ?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking here. There is a combination device made
which is half GFI receptacle and half single pole switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 31 May 2008 18:25:06 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

"sid" wrote in message
If I wire the basement with GFI receptacles, is there anyway that the
receptacle can be broken so that one half of the duplex could be used
to control lighting in the room ?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking here. There is a combination device made
which is half GFI receptacle and half single pole switch.

He wants one which is half GFI and half controlled by a switch. He
probably wants that half to be GFI also. Like a normal receptacle
can be split into two halves.

OP, I think the word "broken" is misleading. You mean split into to,
not "inoperable".
Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On May 31, 5:25*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

If I wire the basement with GFI receptacles, is there anyway that the
receptacle can be broken so that one half of the duplex could be used
to control lighting in the room ?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking here. *There is a combination device made
which is half GFI receptacle and half single pole switch.

Typical duplex receptacles can be broken to provide one receptacle
that is hot all the time and anther controlled by a remote switch.
(common practice). Now can I do that with a GFI duplex receptacle ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
If I wire the basement with GFI receptacles, is there anyway that the
receptacle can be broken so that one half of the duplex could be used
to control lighting in the room ?

Thanks

Assuming you want to split the tops from bottoms and have wall switch
control of half of each outlet, no, GFCI outlets are not made that way. If
it's a finished basement, there is no NEC requirement to use GFCI outlets.
You can however use GFCI protection for the entire circuit or circuits, then
split standard duplex outlets and switches

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

If I wire the basement with GFI receptacles, is there anyway that the
receptacle can be broken so that one half of the duplex could be used
to control lighting in the room ?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking here. There is a combination device made
which is half GFI receptacle and half single pole switch.

Typical duplex receptacles can be broken to provide one receptacle
that is hot all the time and anther controlled by a remote switch.
(common practice). Now can I do that with a GFI duplex receptacle ?

No, but you can have a switch and a split receptacle downstream of a GFI to
give you what you want. As RBM mentioned, GFI receptacles are not required
in finished basements. The unfinished part must have at least one GFI
receptacle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

"sid" wrote in message

If I wire the basement with GFI receptacles, is there anyway that the
receptacle can be broken so that one half of the duplex could be used
to control lighting in the room ?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking here. There is a combination device made
which is half GFI receptacle and half single pole switch.

Typical duplex receptacles can be broken to provide one receptacle
that is hot all the time and anther controlled by a remote switch.
(common practice). *Now can I do that with a GFI duplex receptacle ?

No, but you can have a switch and a split receptacle downstream of a GFI to
give you what you want. *As RBM mentioned, GFI receptacles are not required
in finished basements. *The unfinished part must have at least one GFI
receptacle.

I like that option, probably save a lot on all those GFI(s). If I
use a GFI breaker, do I still need to have GFI receptacles in the
unfinished portions of the basement if the circuit is protected by a
GFI breaker ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

[...]

Nec requires unfinished parts of basements to have at least one GFCI
protected outlet. The method of GFCI protection is your choice

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

[...]

No, but you should label them as being GFI protected. If you haven't
considered this already, it might be a good idea to separate ceiling
lighting from the GFI protected outlet circuit in case the GFI trips.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

"sid" wrote in message

[...]

protected outlet. The method of GFCI protection is your choice- Hide quoted text -

When splitting a receptacle, is there a standard as to which side is
switched; Left or Right for horizontal mounted and top or bottom for
vertically mounted ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

"sid" wrote in message

[...]

Your choice

30A duplex receptacles possible? [email protected] Home Repair 20 December 7th 07 01:20 PM
Kitchen receptacles Sammy bin Snoozin Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 September 23rd 07 05:50 PM
Switch/Receptacles? Toller Home Repair 5 August 22nd 07 04:03 AM
Drywall & Receptacles Kitep Home Repair 20 June 29th 07 07:45 PM
Weak Receptacles-Cause? CooSer Home Repair 13 March 11th 04 10:28 PM