Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall & Receptacles

I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of the
holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too large, so
that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going till it's flush
with the box, which of course if flush with the stud. So, the plug sits
about 1/2 inch too deep.

What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of is to
buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:49:52 -0400, "Kitep" wrote:

I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of the
holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too large, so
that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going till it's flush
with the box, which of course if flush with the stud. So, the plug sits
about 1/2 inch too deep.

What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of is to
buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any suggestions?

Buy longer screws. I have never tried to buy any, but what we used on
the job was some very small diameter pneumatic tubing cut to length
for the spacers.

You should also consider getting some insulated gaskets for the
outlets. Using them on the outer walls are great power savers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Caddy makes something for this:
http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcDvcLvlrRetnr.asp
You will probably have to go to an electrical supply company to get them.
Make sure that you have the part number.

You could also try using oversized metal wall plates to provide support.

I have used 6/32 hex nuts behind the device strap to keep the device from
being pushed back. I have also seen other electricians use a piece of solid

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kitep wrote:
I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of the
holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too large, so
that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going till it's flush
with the box, which of course if flush with the stud. So, the plug sits
about 1/2 inch too deep.

What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of is to
buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any suggestions?

I swear I saw metal support plates for just this problem in the dale
electric catalog but I can't seem to come up with the right combination
of search terms to find you a link to their web site. I was going to
order a couple next time I had to order any electrical supplies and I
haven't had to order anything in a while.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Kitep wrote:

I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of
the holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too
large, so that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going
till it's flush with the box, which of course if flush with the stud.
So, the plug sits about 1/2 inch too deep.

What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of
is to buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any
suggestions?

I swear I saw metal support plates for just this problem in the dale
electric catalog but I can't seem to come up with the right combination
of search terms to find you a link to their web site. I was going to
order a couple next time I had to order any electrical supplies and I
haven't had to order anything in a while.

nate

found what I was thinking of

http://dale-electric.com/search.php?...ultsPerPage=25

does this help?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Nate Nagel wrote:
Kitep wrote:

[...]

Nope, that ain't it- those are clips to retain a floating box. What OP
wants, and I'm suprised nobody mentioned it, since they are discussed on
here regularly, are box extension rings. All the big-boxes carry them,
2-packs for about three bucks. Usually plastic these days. I had to install
several here, because previous owner was an idiot, and didn't reposition
boxes when he added T&G in living room and rocked garage, badly. Code does
NOT allow just using standoffs or washers- no flammable materials can face
the installed device.

aem sends.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Nate Nagel wrote:

Kitep wrote:

[...]

Nope, I know what you're thinking of...

http://minerallac.com/minerallac%20catalog.pdf

this actually is intended for just this application. I need some
because the plaster in my walls is busted away around some receptacles
just around the plaster ears for some reason. scroll down to pages 27
and 155 and you'll see what I mean.

Oddly enough, the Madison hangers are on the very previous pages of the
catalog

nate

dammit, ya made me look

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just referbed (sp?) a 1907 and rewired completely. A lot of the outlets
and switches had been spaced out with short pieces of some sort of 3/16"
rubber hose product. Seems to have worked pretty well. As you mentioned,
you'll (possibly) need longer screws.

--
Steve Barker

"Kitep" wrote in message
I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of the
holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too large, so
that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going till it's flush
with the box, which of course if flush with the stud. So, the plug sits
about 1/2 inch too deep.

What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of is
to buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any
suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Something an electrician always has:

Strip some #12 solid. Wrap it around your Phillips screwdriver in
a tight coil. Slide it off the screwdriver. Cut the coils to the
appropriate length, and slide the recep screw through the coil.
Yes, you may need a longer screw.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Nate Nagel wrote:
Kitep wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the tips guys. I knew someone would have a solution somewhere,
but my attempt to Google a solution was stymied by my word choices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 22:58:09 -0400, "Kitep" wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys. I knew someone would have a solution somewhere,
but my attempt to Google a solution was stymied by my word choices.

another solution nobodies mentioned is to go to your local big box
store and go the isle of the electrical section where all the
electrical doodads in little plastic bags are hung on hooks. You know,
where the wirenuts are. There you will find stackable green plastic
spacers made just for this. They're aout 1/16 inch think and have
interlocking snaps to stack them up as thick as you want.

dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dicko" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 22:58:09 -0400, "Kitep" wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys. I knew someone would have a solution somewhere,
but my attempt to Google a solution was stymied by my word choices.

another solution nobodies mentioned is to go to your local big box
store and go the isle of the electrical section where all the
electrical doodads in little plastic bags are hung on hooks. You know,
where the wirenuts are. There you will find stackable green plastic
spacers made just for this. They're aout 1/16 inch think and have
interlocking snaps to stack them up as thick as you want.

dickm

As luck would have it, before I posted my question I did go to that very
aisle looking for something just like that. I obviously missed it, just
like I missed the box extenders when I was in the box aisle. I think I was
seriously distracted by the store closing in 5 minutes and needing to get a
few other things that I knew for sure existed (which is also why I didn't
track down somebody to ask). I'm looking forward to finding the things I
missed next time I go there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 4:56 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I have used 6/32 hex nuts behind the device strap to keep the device from
being pushed back.

I think this is the best solution - there's just one nut, no worrying
about 3-4 washers; it attaches the outlet solidly to the box which is
itself attached to the stud, so everything is robust; and if the box
is metal, the outlet or switch body is solidly grounded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nexus7" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 1, 4:56 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I have used 6/32 hex nuts behind the device strap to keep the device from
being pushed back.

I think this is the best solution - there's just one nut, no worrying
about 3-4 washers; it attaches the outlet solidly to the box which is
itself attached to the stud, so everything is robust; and if the box
is metal, the outlet or switch body is solidly grounded.

Again, code sez that if the box edge isn't flush with wall surface, you need
something between the device and any combustible materials, in case of
sparking. I agree, a fire actually starting that way is a one-in-a-million
shot, but when it comes time to sell, if the inspector actually pulls that
particular outlet cover, you;ll have to redo it anyway. As cheap as
extension rings are, may as well do it that way in the first place.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"Nexus7" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Just so you know, I do plan to use the box extenders. I do like to follow
code just to avoid problems in the future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kitep" wrote in message
I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of the
holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too large, so
that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going till it's flush
with the box, which of course if flush with the stud. So, the plug sits
about 1/2 inch too deep.

Finally picked up some box extenders, so I thought I'd give an update.

The extenders didn't work. They depend on fins catching the drywall, and
the people who put in the drywall didn't unscrew the plugs, they just cut a
bigger hole. So here's what I did:

I bought a regular box. Set my table saw for 3/8" and cut. Put the
rectangle in the hole, and found I really needed 3/8" on 1 corner and 1/8"
on the opposite corner. So I marked it with a permanent marker. Then
pulled out my angle grinder and grinded away. Now it extends the box flush
with the wall and is code-compliant. Cheap too, if you don't count my time
Now I just have to do it again & again & again (about 12 times total).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kitep wrote:
"Kitep" wrote in message
[...]

The mark of a true home-owner; lots of things to work on g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Jun, 17:57, (DT) wrote:
In article ,
says...

I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of the
holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too large, so
that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going till it's flush
with the box, which of course if flush with the stud. So, the plug sits
about 1/2 inch too deep.

What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of is to
buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any suggestions?

-- Well, the first problem is that the boxes are not installed
correctly. They are
-- not supposed to be flush with the stud, they are supposed to stick
out 1/2" and
-- be flush with the drywall. The mounting strap on the receptacles
should rest on
-- the box and the drywall at the same time.

Paraphrasing Sam Torrance, and said with my best Scottish accent,
"Useful post that, useful."