Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall/painting question

Quick question: I have just finished scraping wallpaper off
a wall that the previous bozos ... I mean, homeowners ...
hadn't bothered to prime, paint or size. The other walls had
been painted, luckily. I scraped off a gouge before I realized
this wall was different, also I used a paper tiger and was a
little zealous in a few spots and left dings in the drywall paper.

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

After all this work, I don't want to make more work for myself
by skipping a step. Thanks for any help you can give me.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

Quick question: I have just finished scraping wallpaper off
a wall that the previous bozos ... I mean, homeowners ...
hadn't bothered to prime, paint or size. The other walls had
been painted, luckily. I scraped off a gouge before I realized
this wall was different, also I used a paper tiger and was a
little zealous in a few spots and left dings in the drywall paper.

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

After all this work, I don't want to make more work for myself
by skipping a step. Thanks for any help you can give me.

nancy

If the dings are small I'd just mud over 'em. Larger, maybe use some
tape and a larger mud patch, feathered of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote:

Quick question: I have just finished scraping wallpaper off
a wall that the previous bozos ... I mean, homeowners ...
hadn't bothered to prime, paint or size. The other walls had
been painted, luckily. I scraped off a gouge before I realized
this wall was different, also I used a paper tiger and was a
little zealous in a few spots and left dings in the drywall paper.

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

After all this work, I don't want to make more work for myself
by skipping a step. Thanks for any help you can give me.

If the dings are small I'd just mud over 'em. Larger, maybe use some
tape and a larger mud patch, feathered of course.

Thanks! That's what I would have thought to do, but something
I read made me worry I'd be making another problem, bigger than
the one I had before.

Heh, I had just painted over the wallpaper years ago. It's not a
room I really use so it was easy to ignore. Now I'm getting new
carpet and decided I should paint the room first. Brought back
those famous words, Nothing's Ever Easy.

nancy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:
Quick question: I have just finished scraping wallpaper off
a wall that the previous bozos ... I mean, homeowners ... hadn't
bothered to prime, paint or size. The other walls had
been painted, luckily. I scraped off a gouge before I realized this
wall was different, also I used a paper tiger and was a little zealous
in a few spots and left dings in the drywall paper.

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

After all this work, I don't want to make more work for myself
by skipping a step. Thanks for any help you can give me.

nancy

Zinsser Gardz primer.

http://zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=27
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Paulsen" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

Zinsser Gardz primer.

http://zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=27

Oh! What do you know. Thanks! I have to prime anyway, that's
the stuff to use.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:

Quick question: I have just finished scraping wallpaper off
a wall that the previous bozos ... I mean, homeowners ... hadn't
bothered to prime, paint or size. The other walls had
been painted, luckily. I scraped off a gouge before I realized this
wall was different, also I used a paper tiger and was a little zealous
in a few spots and left dings in the drywall paper.

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

After all this work, I don't want to make more work for myself
by skipping a step. Thanks for any help you can give me.

nancy

I've used spackle on dings in drywall numerous times and never had a
problem with it. Just
be sure you allow plenty of drying time, especially if using alkyd paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

I've used spackle on dings in drywall numerous times and never had a
problem with it. Just
be sure you allow plenty of drying time, especially if using alkyd paint.

Now that I've called around and can't find the Gardz, I've decided
to give the one larger scrape a coat of BIN before spackling. Then
the whole room will get a coat of BIN.

Thanks for the post. I'll remember about the drying, appreciate the
heads up.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:

"Norminn" wrote
Nancy Young wrote:

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

I've used spackle on dings in drywall numerous times and never had a
problem with it. Just
be sure you allow plenty of drying time, especially if using alkyd paint.

Now that I've called around and can't find the Gardz, I've decided
to give the one larger scrape a coat of BIN before spackling. Then
the whole room will get a coat of BIN.
Thanks for the post. I'll remember about the drying, appreciate the
heads up.

nancy

Just been there, done that, as they say.
The wallpaper, vinyl cloth, came
off pretty easy, however, there were
some spots where the drywall surface
was damaged. The problem arises when
you put wet mud in these spots.
The moisture soaks into the paper and
causes bubbling just beyond the
damage spot. If you scape and remud
these spots, you might get bubbles
a little further out .... and so on and
so on!. My wife searched on the net
and found, as someone suggested, Zinzer
Gardz. We rolled it on in a very
thin coat. There was only one spot
where additional bubbling occurred.
We probably put too much Gardz on that
spot. Once Gardz dries, it is
no longer water soluble. So, mudding
over this doesn't seem to cause
additional bubbles. After the mudding
and sanding, I put a coat of Gardz
on the mud areas. Later I primed with
Zinzer tinted water based primer
and then painted. It looks pretty good.

BTW, Gardz, from what I can guess, is
acrylic varnish .... looks like the MinWax
acrylic varnish product ... even smells
like it. I would think that shellac would
probably work similarly. After the
frustrations of brute force patching in
another
room, I am a Gardz believer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:

"Norminn" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

I've used spackle on dings in drywall numerous times and never had a
problem with it. Just
be sure you allow plenty of drying time, especially if using alkyd
paint.

Now that I've called around and can't find the Gardz, I've decided
to give the one larger scrape a coat of BIN before spackling. Then
the whole room will get a coat of BIN.
Thanks for the post. I'll remember about the drying, appreciate the
heads up.

nancy

How large is the "large scrape"? Your method will probably be fine, but
sounds like overkill.
Pin holes from the paper tiger need only spackle, at most. Probably
would fill with primer. Since
you said one wall had never had primer, I would buy a latex primer that
can be used on new drywall,
and spot prime the patches too. Then prime the whole wall. A good
paint store will have the right
primer and paint for you. Gouges in drywall are standard stuff. When I
have torn dryeall paper, it
got a little messy because the paper stuck out through spackle. A ball
peen hammer fixed that. Spackle
the dent and go on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 10:25*am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
Quick question: *I have just finished scraping wallpaper off
a wall that the previous bozos ... I mean, homeowners ...
hadn't bothered to prime, paint or size. *The other walls had
been painted, luckily. *I scraped off a gouge before I realized
this wall was different, also I used a paper tiger and was a
little zealous in a few spots and left dings in the drywall paper.

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

After all this work, I don't want to make more work for myself
by skipping a step. *Thanks for any help you can give me.

nancy * *

If you mud over the scrapes and dings, the moisture in the mud will
seep into the gypsum core of the drywall and you'll have more
problems.

FIRST -- seal the dings and scrapes -- there's a Zinser product, I
think it's called Gardz or something like that. It's basically a
varnish that seals the surface to which it's applied so moisture won't
penetrate.

-- Seal with Zinser Gardz, let it dry according to package directions.
-- Mud over the dings and scrapes -- use a light application of mud,
even if you have to put on 2-3 layers. Light application will dry
quickly and saves you from having to sand down a big lump of mud.
-- When you have a smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom surface, let it dry 48
hours or so until you detect no moisture in the mud.
-- Prime with a good quality primer.
-- Paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hugh Glass wrote:
On Sat, 24 May 2008 15:49:39 -0500, Art Todesco
wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:
"Norminn" wrote
Nancy Young wrote:

BTW, Gardz, from what I can guess, is
acrylic varnish .... looks like the MinWax
acrylic varnish product ... even smells
like it. I would think that shellac would
probably work similarly. After the
frustrations of brute force patching in
another
room, I am a Gardz believer.

Partially correct- Gardz will seal like a shellac. But it
(and this is the beauty of it) 'penetrates' and will bind unsound
surfaces together like a glue.

After 30 years of hanging wallpaper and running into many types of
wall conditions, I'm a HUGE Gardz believer.
I don't know what we ever did without it.

You're correct, I left that out in my
original answer. You can see the
penetrating action because all the
drywall carboard turns darker in color.
As I said, you have to be careful to not
saturate the area too much,
or the bubbles will likely appear. But
my experience shows that it
doesn't happen too often.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote

Quick question: I have just finished scraping wallpaper off
a wall that the previous bozos ... I mean, homeowners ... hadn't bothered
to prime, paint or size. The other walls had
been painted, luckily. I scraped off a gouge before I realized this wall
was different, also I used a paper tiger and was a little zealous in a few
spots and left dings in the drywall paper.

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

Thank you! to everyone who responded. Being the holiday
weekend, I wasn't able to find the Gardz. I bought something that
I hoped would do the job, an oil based primer. I got a spray can of
Kilz original interior oil-base primer-sealer-stainblocker. I sprayed
the areas where I'd inadvertently scraped off the drywall paper.

Let that dry, then put on a coat of primer. Cleaned up the rough
areas with drywall compound. It turned out great, just a little sanding
and I'm ready for my finish coat of paint. I did that a little out of
order,
but all's well than ends well.

Just wanted to let you know I appreciated the advice.

nancy

Painting drywall big e lewis Home Repair 22 November 16th 07 06:58 PM
What to use for drywall repair/painting prep [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 23rd 05 12:18 PM
New Drywall Question C Home Repair 5 January 16th 05 03:21 PM
Drywall Painting Question Ed Mana Home Repair 2 June 27th 04 05:17 AM