Posted to alt.home.repair
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Drywall/painting question

"Nancy Young" wrote

Quick question: I have just finished scraping wallpaper off
a wall that the previous bozos ... I mean, homeowners ... hadn't bothered
to prime, paint or size. The other walls had
been painted, luckily. I scraped off a gouge before I realized this wall
was different, also I used a paper tiger and was a little zealous in a few
spots and left dings in the drywall paper.

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

Thank you! to everyone who responded. Being the holiday
weekend, I wasn't able to find the Gardz. I bought something that
I hoped would do the job, an oil based primer. I got a spray can of
Kilz original interior oil-base primer-sealer-stainblocker. I sprayed
the areas where I'd inadvertently scraped off the drywall paper.

Let that dry, then put on a coat of primer. Cleaned up the rough
areas with drywall compound. It turned out great, just a little sanding
and I'm ready for my finish coat of paint. I did that a little out of
order,
but all's well than ends well.

Just wanted to let you know I appreciated the advice.

nancy