Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Drywall/painting question

Nancy Young wrote:

"Norminn" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

Can I just use drywall patch over those small areas, then paint?
Googling, I saw that someone had a problem doing that, that
they should have shellac-ed over the damaged areas first.

I've used spackle on dings in drywall numerous times and never had a
problem with it. Just
be sure you allow plenty of drying time, especially if using alkyd
paint.

Now that I've called around and can't find the Gardz, I've decided
to give the one larger scrape a coat of BIN before spackling. Then
the whole room will get a coat of BIN.
Thanks for the post. I'll remember about the drying, appreciate the
heads up.

nancy

How large is the "large scrape"? Your method will probably be fine, but
sounds like overkill.
Pin holes from the paper tiger need only spackle, at most. Probably
would fill with primer. Since
you said one wall had never had primer, I would buy a latex primer that
can be used on new drywall,
and spot prime the patches too. Then prime the whole wall. A good
paint store will have the right
primer and paint for you. Gouges in drywall are standard stuff. When I
have torn dryeall paper, it
got a little messy because the paper stuck out through spackle. A ball
peen hammer fixed that. Spackle
the dent and go on.