Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PRESSURE VACUUM BREAKER QUESTION

My water sprinkler system guy tells me that my "Pressure Vacuum
Breaker" may have to be replaced. Unknown to me, it has been leaking.
He tells me this is a "backflow" device that keeps the irrigation
water separated from the home-use water. This concerns me from a heath
perspective. Can the two water supplies mix if the backflow is not
working properly? He say it costs about $200 (including labor) to
replace the entire device. Is this price reasonable? Would appreciate
device. Thanks in advance -- Brian.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BrianInNY" wrote in message
My water sprinkler system guy tells me that my "Pressure Vacuum
Breaker" may have to be replaced. Unknown to me, it has been leaking.
He tells me this is a "backflow" device that keeps the irrigation
water separated from the home-use water. This concerns me from a heath
perspective. Can the two water supplies mix if the backflow is not
working properly? He say it costs about $200 (including labor) to
replace the entire device. Is this price reasonable? Would appreciate
device. Thanks in advance -- Brian.

I'm not a plumber and I don't know what a backflow preventer costs, but in
downstate NY, plumbers and electricians get around $150+tax for a service
call, so it doesn't sound unreasonable to me

Posted to alt.home.repair

BrianInNY wrote:
My water sprinkler system guy tells me that my "Pressure Vacuum
Breaker" may have to be replaced. Unknown to me, it has been leaking.
He tells me this is a "backflow" device that keeps the irrigation
water separated from the home-use water. This concerns me from a heath
perspective. Can the two water supplies mix if the backflow is not
working properly? He say it costs about $200 (including labor) to
replace the entire device. Is this price reasonable? Would appreciate
device. Thanks in advance -- Brian.

Yes, there can be a real danger if the sprinkler system is
fed from the domestic water supply.

Helpful .pdf he
http://www.src4.org/ed/PNWS-3.pdf

It's also possible that the mfr of the valve offers a
repair kit, better than replacement usually.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:44:16 -0700 (PDT), BrianInNY
wrote:

My water sprinkler system guy tells me that my "Pressure Vacuum
Breaker" may have to be replaced. Unknown to me, it has been leaking.
He tells me this is a "backflow" device that keeps the irrigation
water separated from the home-use water. This concerns me from a heath
perspective. Can the two water supplies mix if the backflow is not
working properly? He say it costs about $200 (including labor) to
replace the entire device. Is this price reasonable? Would appreciate
device. Thanks in advance -- Brian.

I replaced mine; similar to this one *. The cost was around $60.00 for
the valve. Can you install it and save the $200.00?

*
http://www.cjjstore.com/store/images...reakoutmed.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 6:44*pm, BrianInNY wrote:
My water sprinkler system guy tells me that my "Pressure Vacuum
Breaker" may have to be replaced. Unknown to me, it has been leaking.
He tells me this is a "backflow" device that keeps the irrigation
water separated from the home-use water. This concerns me from a heath
perspective. Can the two water supplies mix if the backflow is not
working properly? He say it costs about $200 (including labor) to
replace the entire device. Is this price reasonable? Would appreciate
device. Thanks in advance -- Brian.

These valves have metal exteriors and plastic working parts. I know
of one which failed and needed replacement. The replacement plastic
parts kit, from a nearby ACE Hardware, slipped right in at a cost of
less than $50. No metal needed replacement (i.e. no soldering,
cutting, etc). In fact, if the fellow who did the job had had
stronger fingers, he wouldn't have needed tools either.

Of course, in my town it is illegal for anyone but a licensed and
certified plumber to adjust or do any type of maintenance on these
devices.

Backflow devices protect the municipal water supply from contamination
by any chemicals sitting around on your lawn if and when a vacuum is
produced in the municipal water pipes. The most common cause of such
a vacuum would be a fire department Pumper hooked up to a nearby
hydrant.

Regards
-J

Dishwasher vacuum breaker required? Walter R. Home Repair 2 June 21st 07 05:52 PM
Pressure Vacuum Breakers [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 13th 07 09:11 PM
Suction pressure in vacuum trintch9 Home Repair 1 May 12th 06 03:46 PM
Vacuum Breaker TP Home Repair 2 April 24th 05 08:49 PM
Water Heater Expansion Tank/Vacuum Breaker? Jerry Napoliano Home Repair 5 September 30th 04 04:47 AM