Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim[_2_] Speedy Jim[_2_] is offline

Default PRESSURE VACUUM BREAKER QUESTION

BrianInNY wrote:
My water sprinkler system guy tells me that my "Pressure Vacuum
Breaker" may have to be replaced. Unknown to me, it has been leaking.
He tells me this is a "backflow" device that keeps the irrigation
water separated from the home-use water. This concerns me from a heath
perspective. Can the two water supplies mix if the backflow is not
working properly? He say it costs about $200 (including labor) to
replace the entire device. Is this price reasonable? Would appreciate
device. Thanks in advance -- Brian.

Yes, there can be a real danger if the sprinkler system is
fed from the domestic water supply.

Helpful .pdf he
http://www.src4.org/ed/PNWS-3.pdf

It's also possible that the mfr of the valve offers a
repair kit, better than replacement usually.

Jim