Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can someone recommend a dishwasher?

subject says all... trying to do a little googling in case my current
dishwasher (which I loathe, because it's a cheap flimsy POS) can't be
fixed, and all I find is stuff like this:

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2007/06/11/an...washers-today/

can someone give me something positive about a new dishwasher? I wish
that the PO's of my house had just left the 20 year old thing in there
instead of listening to the realtor.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

subject says all... trying to do a little googling in case my current
dishwasher (which I loathe, because it's a cheap flimsy POS) can't be
fixed, and all I find is stuff like this:

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2007/06/11/an...washers-today/

can someone give me something positive about a new dishwasher? I wish
that the PO's of my house had just left the 20 year old thing in there
instead of listening to the realtor.

Simple recommendation: Go to the various stores and look over the
various units in the $400-$500 range. Select the one you find the
sturdiest. Dishwashers today are mostly disposable and expecting a life
of more than 10 years is wishful thinking. There are certainly
overpriced "luxury" units, and perhaps you'll get another two years of
service life for 3x the price and any repair parts at 3x as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
subject says all... trying to do a little googling in case my current
dishwasher (which I loathe, because it's a cheap flimsy POS) can't be
fixed, and all I find is stuff like this:

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2007/06/11/an...washers-today/

can someone give me something positive about a new dishwasher? I wish
that the PO's of my house had just left the 20 year old thing in there
instead of listening to the realtor.

nate

Check out Consumer reports in a ;ibrary.

Read a little on how long they take to do a load.
Decide if quiet is important to you.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote in
:

subject says all... trying to do a little googling in case my current
dishwasher (which I loathe, because it's a cheap flimsy POS) can't be
fixed, and all I find is stuff like this:

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2007/06/11/an...washers-today/

can someone give me something positive about a new dishwasher? I wish
that the PO's of my house had just left the 20 year old thing in there
instead of listening to the realtor.

nate

Yea I'd recommend one. Preferably with a nice rack :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
subject says all... trying to do a little googling in case my current
dishwasher (which I loathe, because it's a cheap flimsy POS) can't be
fixed, and all I find is stuff like this:

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2007/06/11/an...washers-today/

can someone give me something positive about a new dishwasher? I wish
that the PO's of my house had just left the 20 year old thing in there
instead of listening to the realtor.

nate

We're on our third Kitchen Aid over a period of 35 years. The one we have
has been perfect for the last three that we've owned it. Quiet and washes
very well. Glassware just sparkles. Before buying this one, we looked at
Maytag (did not like the interior layout) Whirlpool (runner up) and Bosch
(serviceman said they are the most trouble)

Posted to alt.home.repair

GE, Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool, Maytag are pretty good names. Like others
said, each model has its own quietness levels, so look into that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 16, 6:33*am, Mikepier wrote:
GE, Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool, Maytag are pretty good names. Like others
said, each model has its own quietness levels, so look into that.

Hmm... this is why I asked, I currently have a GE and hate it (the
thing is so flimsy I have to bend it to get the door to close
properly, and it's been this way since I moved in) my parents have a
Maytag and it is so loud you can't hear yourself think. The last
dishwasher I remember not being PO'd by is the one in my parents' old
house which was installed when the house was built, in 1973.

Maybe I'll just try to find a free/cheap one off Craigslist, if it's
going to suck anyway it might as well not cost me a lot.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 16, 8:09*am, N8N wrote:
On May 16, 6:33*am, Mikepier wrote:

GE, Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool, Maytag are pretty good names. Like others
said, each model has its own quietness levels, so look into that.

Hmm... this is why I asked, I currently have a GE and hate it (the
thing is so flimsy I have to bend it to get the door to close
properly, and it's been this way since I moved in) my parents have a
Maytag and it is so loud you can't hear yourself think. *The last
dishwasher I remember not being PO'd by is the one in my parents' old
house which was installed when the house was built, in 1973.

Maybe I'll just try to find a free/cheap one off Craigslist, if it's
going to suck anyway it might as well not cost me a lot.

nate

Forgot to mention, the GE that I hate so much was installed by a local
appliance store just before we signed on the house... leaked down the
basement wall and damaged the paneling. Apparently they didn't check
for leaks after they left, and the PO's called in a plumber to find
that the stop valve needed its packing tightened. I still had to
rework a lot of stuff under the sink to make everything completely
leak free. There were no hose clamps on anything, the drain hoses
were pushed together.

Turns out, after a web search, that they are basically my only option
for new appliances within a 5 mile radius, save for Sears. I'm glad I
have tools and a pickup truck.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 8:14*am, N8N wrote:
On May 16, 8:09*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

That sounds more like the installers fault than the dishwashers fault.
If you had problems with the door, it sounds as if it wasn't installed
correctly, or perhaps the openeing was too tight ( less than 24"). The
leaks are the plumbers fault.
I've installed dishwashers before. They are pretty straightfoward if
you read the instructions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 May 2008 19:38:31 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

subject says all... trying to do a little googling in case my current
dishwasher (which I loathe, because it's a cheap flimsy POS) can't be
fixed, and all I find is stuff like this:

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2007/06/11/an...washers-today/

can someone give me something positive about a new dishwasher? I wish
that the PO's of my house had just left the 20 year old thing in there
instead of listening to the realtor.

Kenmore mid-priced units are pretty good. I bought one last year and
it is working well. The great thing was that the price was comparable
to other units with the same features, and I got a year's free
financing on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message

Forgot to mention, the GE that I hate so much was installed by a local
appliance store just before we signed on the house... leaked down the
basement wall and damaged the paneling. Apparently they didn't check
for leaks after they left, and the PO's called in a plumber to find
that the stop valve needed its packing tightened. I still had to
rework a lot of stuff under the sink to make everything completely
leak free. There were no hose clamps on anything, the drain hoses
were pushed together.

Turns out, after a web search, that they are basically my only option
for new appliances within a 5 mile radius, save for Sears. I'm glad I
have tools and a pickup truck.

nate

Five miles? I usually look in a 35 mile radius if the local guys can't
make me happy.

Sounds like most of the problems were from a poor installation. Either do
it yourself of find a better dealer. If you go to Sears, it is ac crapshoot
on the machines. Some are made by Frigidaire, others by Whirlpool. The
higher end unit are generally pretty good though. The more you pay, the
quieter it will be also. My KA can hardly be heard at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My wife selected Kitchenaid appls in our last 2 homes w/ Stainless steel
D/W interior.
They re working well 10 years later.
I tried to get her to buy Whirlpool (who makes KA).

The same models are available from Sears under the Kenmore brand