Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

99windstar

Default Can anyone recommend....

a pet safe rat poison? Is there such a thing?
Thanks!

Stormin Mormon

I really doubt it.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

"99windstar" wrote in message
a pet safe rat poison? Is there such a thing?
Thanks!

Al Bundy

99windstar wrote:
a pet safe rat poison? Is there such a thing?
Thanks!

That's a pretty dopey question really. A rat is much tougher than your
the average house pet. If a poison will kill a rat, how could it be
safe for your pet? If you want safety you will have to think in terms
of trapping the rat or killing it mechanically. You could try one of
those ultrasonic contraptions that is supposed to make life in the area
uncomfortable for the rat population. Of course, cleaning up your
garbage would to that as well. If all else fails you might look for a
character dressed in a nome's suit and playing a flute, but be certain
to pay him his due or your children may suffer his wrath.

99windstar

I thought maybe there would be a poison strong enough to kill rats but not
quite strong enough to harm a dog. What do people do who have cattle and
dogs and have to have their feed outside? They'd have to control the
mouse/rat population somehow or they will continually have rodents in the
feed. OR farmers who harvest wheat or some grain? They'd have to keep
rodents out of their silos, they must have pets too. I didn't think it was
that stupid of a question.
As far as cleaning up the garbage that is a pretty sterotypical assumption,
that if you have rats you must have garbage everywhere NOT! We have fruit
trees.
We are pretty deligent in picking up any fallen fruit but sometimes it just
isn't enough. We also have a lot of road consturction and land developement
on the hill right behind our house. It is displacing all the critters, mice,
rats and shrews. Trash is not the problem but we need an aggressive way to
deal with all these critters.
Thanks for your advice but please share it with some one else.

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
oups.com...

99windstar wrote:
a pet safe rat poison? Is there such a thing?
Thanks!

That's a pretty dopey question really. A rat is much tougher than your
the average house pet. If a poison will kill a rat, how could it be
safe for your pet? If you want safety you will have to think in terms
of trapping the rat or killing it mechanically. You could try one of
those ultrasonic contraptions that is supposed to make life in the area
uncomfortable for the rat population. Of course, cleaning up your
garbage would to that as well. If all else fails you might look for a
character dressed in a nome's suit and playing a flute, but be certain
to pay him his due or your children may suffer his wrath.

Uncle

"99windstar" wrote
I thought maybe there would be a poison strong enough to kill rats but not
quite strong enough to harm a dog. What do people do who have cattle and
dogs and have to have their feed outside? They'd have to control the
mouse/rat population somehow or they will continually have rodents in the
feed. OR farmers who harvest wheat or some grain? They'd have to keep
rodents out of their silos, they must have pets too. I didn't think it was
that stupid of a question.

The rat poison for a farm is called: Barn cats

Al Bundy

Uncle wrote:
"99windstar" wrote
I thought maybe there would be a poison strong enough to kill rats

but not
quite strong enough to harm a dog. What do people do who have

cattle and
dogs and have to have their feed outside? They'd have to control

the
mouse/rat population somehow or they will continually have rodents

in the
feed. OR farmers who harvest wheat or some grain? They'd have to

keep
rodents out of their silos, they must have pets too. I didn't think

it was
that stupid of a question.

The rat poison for a farm is called: Barn cats

If the poster has essentially farm conditions then they can expect some
rats and field mice. You can't just start throwing poisonous material
around and expect it to be selective. By the way, those rats ARE in the
feed that you eventually buy and eat and the government allows a
certain percentage of rat hairs and so on in grain. Do you want to kill
all the rats and leave the squirrels? The squirrels will eat your fruit
also. How about the birds?

asd

"99windstar" wrote in message
.... I didn't think it was
that stupid of a question.

Yeah, it didn't hurt to ask. It is possible in theory (though maybe not in
this case) that there could be a chemical that would kill a "tougher" animal
but not harm a "weaker" animal.

asd

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you want to kill
all the rats and leave the squirrels? The squirrels will eat your fruit
also. How about the birds?

Kill 'em all!

Joe Doe

In article .com,
"Al Bundy" wrote:

99windstar wrote:
a pet safe rat poison? Is there such a thing?
Thanks!

That's a pretty dopey question really. A rat is much tougher than your
the average house pet. If a poison will kill a rat, how could it be
safe for your pet? If you want safety you will have to think in terms
of trapping the rat or killing it mechanically.

I agree that trapping is the safest option, but the original questions
is not so dopey.

The lethal dose of a poison is dependent on susceptibility of the
species and Weight of the animal (usually expressed as LD50 - Lethal
Dose where 50% of the animals under test are killed per Kg of animal
weight). So if you take appropriate measures and put the bait in bait
stations that only rodents can enter, the rodenticide can be used quite
safely used around other animals.

For more info on common rodenticides and their LD50 see:

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01287.htm

Good general advice at:

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/genera...pm/usepest.htm

The following link also simply explains the LD50 concept:
http://www.schoolpestfacts.com/rise_poision.htm

Finally, a tamper resistant bait station can be found at

http://www.pestproducts.com/rodent_baiters.htm#ProRat

as can glue traps that are child and pet friendly:

http://www.pestproducts.com/rat_tray.htm

Roland

Eric Tonks

Actually, it takes a pretty large and strong cat to take on a rat, that job
is usually left to the dogs. Cats normally keep the mice away. This is why
farms often have many barn cats and a couple of dogs. Their combined job is
to earn their keep by eliminating rodents and other pests.

"Brad Bishop" wrote in message
"99windstar" wrote in message
a pet safe rat poison? Is there such a thing?
Thanks!

Cat

Al Bundy

Eric Tonks wrote:
Actually, it takes a pretty large and strong cat to take on a rat,

that job
is usually left to the dogs. Cats normally keep the mice away. This

is why
farms often have many barn cats and a couple of dogs. Their combined

job is
to earn their keep by eliminating rodents and other pests.

"Brad Bishop" wrote in message
"99windstar" wrote in message
a pet safe rat poison? Is there such a thing?
Thanks!

Cat

Not what the poster wants to hear. They seek a chemical treatment

like chemo for rats. They want something that kills only the bad rats
and almost, but not quite, kills every other living being and then
quietly leaches off into the ground water so the humans can get a
treatment too. It would also be nice if the product came in a spray
bottle so the poster would not have to bend over to apply it.