Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why don't they make 4 wire Romex

Why don't they make 4 wire Romex (plus ground).
There are many 2 or 3 way switch circuits that need 4 wires plus the
ground. 3 wire is all they sell. I can think of other cases where I
could use 4 wires too. For example, I had to run two common strands
of romex to a double light switch that also feeds an outlet. Two
switched wires, one hot, one neutral. That's 4 wires. So now I have
an illegal white wire controlling a light from a switch. Why not 4
wire romex with black, red, blue, and white. (patriotic too).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Why don't they make 4 wire Romex (plus ground).
There are many 2 or 3 way switch circuits that need 4 wires plus the
ground. 3 wire is all they sell. I can think of other cases where I
could use 4 wires too. For example, I had to run two common strands
of romex to a double light switch that also feeds an outlet. Two
switched wires, one hot, one neutral. That's 4 wires. So now I have
an illegal white wire controlling a light from a switch. Why not 4
wire romex with black, red, blue, and white. (patriotic too).

There are two types available. 14/4 and 12/4 have the black, red, blue,
white, and bare ground. 14-2-2 and 12-2-2 have a black, white, red, white
with red stripe, and ground. You need to go to an electrical supply company
to buy this stuff.
http://www.southwire.com/ProductCata...=prodcatsheet6

You can also get 4 wire armored cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 11:30�pm, wrote:
Why don't they make 4 wire Romex (plus ground).
There are many 2 or 3 way switch circuits that need 4 wires plus the
ground. �3 wire is all they sell. �I can think of other cases where I
could use 4 wires too. �For example, I had to run two common strands
of romex to a double light switch that also feeds an outlet. �Two
switched wires, one hot, one neutral. �That's 4 wires. �So now I have
an illegal white wire controlling a light from a switch. �Why not 4
wire romex with black, red, blue, and white. (patriotic too).

homr depot sells it localy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home depot and Lowes both have 12/2/2, but you certainly don't need it for 3
way switches.

BTW, your white wire controlling a light is not illegal. It may be against
code however if you don't remark it with tape.

wrote in message
Why don't they make 4 wire Romex (plus ground).
There are many 2 or 3 way switch circuits that need 4 wires plus the
ground. 3 wire is all they sell. I can think of other cases where I
could use 4 wires too. For example, I had to run two common strands
of romex to a double light switch that also feeds an outlet. Two
switched wires, one hot, one neutral. That's 4 wires. So now I have
an illegal white wire controlling a light from a switch. Why not 4
wire romex with black, red, blue, and white. (patriotic too).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Why don't they make 4 wire Romex (plus ground).
There are many 2 or 3 way switch circuits that need 4 wires plus the
ground. 3 wire is all they sell. I can think of other cases where I
could use 4 wires too. For example, I had to run two common strands
of romex to a double light switch that also feeds an outlet. Two
switched wires, one hot, one neutral. That's 4 wires.

As someone else pointed out, for a "switch loop" you can make a white wire
hot. And, of course, you CAN get the 4 wire romex (in TWO types of
marking) that you want.

You might consider just accomplishing what you want by separate the circuits
and using, for example, the 2 wire romex for the outlet. Even if the 2
wire romex runs between the same two boxes as the 3 wire romex, you should
only connect the two neutrals at the source end. The general idea is that
the sum of all the currents in one romex should be zero.

Old BX or new Romex? What would you do? Nate Nagel Home Repair 19 February 27th 08 04:38 PM
Romex wiring Classic66s Home Repair 7 December 17th 05 04:31 AM
short term temporary outside use of inside romex wire TimR Home Repair 14 September 23rd 05 08:25 PM
Do they make a flexible style romex or electrical cable ? Duane Bozarth Home Repair 16 September 2nd 05 07:32 PM