TimR

Default short term temporary outside use of inside romex wire

I need to temporarily run a length of romex 6/2 with ground ( rated for
inside use) across my flat roof.. I expect it'll be up there maybe two or
three weeks. Is it o.k. as is...or should I run it in electrical pvc
conduit to keep the sun off it while it is in temporary use ? (live in
Phoenix...still about 98-103 during the days)

Thanks, Tim

Brian

Why not an electrical cord? At least its protected for outside.

--

---------------------------------------
Brian Dye

http://tech-home.com
---------------------------------------

"TimR" wrote in message
I need to temporarily run a length of romex 6/2 with ground ( rated for
inside use) across my flat roof.. I expect it'll be up there maybe two or
three weeks. Is it o.k. as is...or should I run it in electrical pvc
conduit to keep the sun off it while it is in temporary use ? (live in
Phoenix...still about 98-103 during the days)

Thanks, Tim

SQLit

"TimR" wrote in message
I need to temporarily run a length of romex 6/2 with ground ( rated for
inside use) across my flat roof.. I expect it'll be up there maybe two or
three weeks. Is it o.k. as is...or should I run it in electrical pvc
conduit to keep the sun off it while it is in temporary use ? (live in
Phoenix...still about 98-103 during the days)

Thanks, Tim

NM cable is not rated to be inside a conduit system. I ran my pool pump with
12-2 NM for a month while I got the new conduit run. As long as the 6 is
enough for the load and distance.

zxcvbob

TimR wrote:
I need to temporarily run a length of romex 6/2 with ground ( rated for
inside use) across my flat roof.. I expect it'll be up there maybe two or
three weeks. Is it o.k. as is...or should I run it in electrical pvc
conduit to keep the sun off it while it is in temporary use ? (live in
Phoenix...still about 98-103 during the days)

Thanks, Tim

It depends on whether you tell anyone or not. Seriously. (I would
probably run aluminum triplex cable cuz it's cheap and it's designed for
outdoor use -- but it's not really rated for this application either.)

Attach it with a plug instead of hardwiring it and it won't matter so
much whether it meets code or not.

Best regards,
Bob -- not an electrician
Abe

I need to temporarily run a length of romex 6/2 with ground ( rated for
inside use) across my flat roof.. I expect it'll be up there maybe two or
three weeks. Is it o.k. as is...or should I run it in electrical pvc
conduit to keep the sun off it while it is in temporary use ? (live in
Phoenix...still about 98-103 during the days)

As long as the romex is rated for the load you plan to run, and the
conductors are well insulated at the connection points, it'll be fine
for a few weeks.

Colbyt

"TimR" wrote in message
I need to temporarily run a length of romex 6/2 with ground ( rated for
inside use) across my flat roof.. I expect it'll be up there maybe two or
three weeks. Is it o.k. as is...or should I run it in electrical pvc
conduit to keep the sun off it while it is in temporary use ? (live in
Phoenix...still about 98-103 during the days)

Thanks, Tim

Assuming the wire is the correct size for the load to be carried 30 days of
fun and sun should be no problem. Does it meet any national or local codes?
I doubt that it does. Exceptions to code are normally limited to 3 or 5
days when submitted by a licensed person.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"SQLit" wrote in message
NM cable is not rated to be inside a conduit system. I ran my pool pump
with
12-2 NM for a month while I got the new conduit run. As long as the 6 is
enough for the load and distance.

I'm just curious, and not meaning to start a flame war here, but where in
the code does it prohibit romex to be in conduit. I remember threads in
the past where this was discussed and I can't remember what the outcome was.
Cheers,
cc

James Cubby Culbertson wrote:
"SQLit" wrote in message
NM cable is not rated to be inside a conduit system. I ran my pool pump
with
12-2 NM for a month while I got the new conduit run. As long as the 6 is
enough for the load and distance.

I'm just curious, and not meaning to start a flame war here, but where in
the code does it prohibit romex to be in conduit. I remember threads in
the past where this was discussed and I can't remember what the outcome was.
Cheers,
cc

Greetings,

a) Don't matter what the NEC says if your local inspector shoots it
down.

b) As I understand it you can run Romex in conduit. I have run 100's
of Romex wires inside conduit for additional physical protection. You
just can't run it inside a "conduit system" which means conduit
attached to a box at both ends or for extended lengths. You also must
provide a large enough conduit to prevent overheating. I try to use
3/4" for a single 12-2 or 12-3 NM cable to be on the safe side.

c) Today I ran 2 12-2 NM's inside a single 1/2" piece of EMT for 8 feet
with the yellow jacket stripped except for a few inches at the end for
a clamp. It's safe but you might have someone complain because the
wires inside NM don't have THHN written on them even though they are
rated at 90-105C.

Hope this helps,
William

Doug Miller

In article , "SQLit" wrote:

NM cable is not rated to be inside a conduit system.

Wrong.

You keep saying that -- and I, and several others, keep asking you to cite the
article of the Code that backs you up. You haven't -- because you can't. Fact
is, the NEC _explicitly_permits_ the use of conduit to protect NM cable from
physical damage.

--
Regards,

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

oups.com...

"SQLit" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks William. Your letter (a) is right on! I tell ya, trying to figure
out all the code requirements is harder than the actual wiring of just about
anything! I just ran some circuits in my garage and I spent more time
thumbing through the code book looking for stuff than I did doing the actual
work. Probably why Electrician's charge so much!
Cheers,
cc

John Grabowski

Just because your usage is temporary does not mean it is exempt from a safe
and proper installation. The air temperature may be 98 -103, but the actual
roof temperature could be a few hundred degrees. Running romex across a
roof is definitely not a safe way to go. Without additional information as
to what you are trying to accomplish, I cannot provide you with a solution
that is viable.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"TimR" wrote in message
I need to temporarily run a length of romex 6/2 with ground ( rated for
inside use) across my flat roof.. I expect it'll be up there maybe two or
three weeks. Is it o.k. as is...or should I run it in electrical pvc
conduit to keep the sun off it while it is in temporary use ? (live in
Phoenix...still about 98-103 during the days)

Thanks, Tim

Abe

Just because your usage is temporary does not mean it is exempt from a safe
and proper installation. The air temperature may be 98 -103, but the actual
roof temperature could be a few hundred degrees. Running romex across a
roof is definitely not a safe way to go. Without additional information as
to what you are trying to accomplish, I cannot provide you with a solution
that is viable.

A few hundred degrees? I seriously doubt it.
Amun

"TimR" wrote in message
I need to temporarily run a length of romex 6/2 with ground ( rated for
inside use) across my flat roof.. I expect it'll be up there maybe two or
three weeks. Is it o.k. as is...or should I run it in electrical pvc
conduit to keep the sun off it while it is in temporary use ? (live in
Phoenix...still about 98-103 during the days)

Thanks, Tim

Well, it not "OKAY"

But I won't tell anyone.

Just wondering why you need such a heavy cable for only a "temporary" feed.
?
Obviously this is for more than just using a skill saw, while you build a
shed.

RBM

The problem with sleeving NM cable through metal conduit is that it's not
bonded to the conduit and if it gets cut on the edge, the conduit could
become live. One issue with running NM in a conduit system which would make
it illegal is possibly the location of the conduit system. NM cable, like
THHN wire are not for wet locations. Therefore running those inside a
conduit system that is in a wet location, like underground would be illegal.
There is however no reason not to sleeve NM through PVC in a dry location
for added protection

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

oups.com...

"SQLit" wrote in message
[...]

Goedjn

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:41:35 -0700, Abe wrote:

Just because your usage is temporary does not mean it is exempt from a safe
and proper installation. The air temperature may be 98 -103, but the actual
roof temperature could be a few hundred degrees. Running romex across a
roof is definitely not a safe way to go. Without additional information as
to what you are trying to accomplish, I cannot provide you with a solution
that is viable.

A few hundred degrees? I seriously doubt it.

I don't know about 300+ degrees, but you can easily get spots that
are hot enough to boil water.