Tom Walz

Default General term for operations inside the material?

Is there a general term for tool operations where the cutting is done
inside the material such a sawing, drilling, honing cylinder walls,
etc?

Thank you
Tom Walz
Tim Williams

You mean like boring, hole saw, etc.? You're being a bit ambiguous.

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

"Tom Walz" wrote in message
om...
Is there a general term for tool operations where the cutting is done
inside the material such a sawing, drilling, honing cylinder walls,
etc?

Thank you
Tom Walz

jim rozen

In article , Lennie the Lurker
says...

(Tom Walz) wrote in message
.com...
Is there a general term for tool operations where the cutting is done
inside the material such a sawing, drilling, honing cylinder walls,
etc?

Maybe, Internal?

I've seen "ID work" used on occasion.

Jim

please reply to:

Tom Walz

Sorry for the ambiguity

Brief background
Coated carbide, Cermets and ceramics are superior to uncoated carbide
in many applications however they are hard to braze. This means they
can be used very successfully in "external" operations where there is
room for mechanical clamping but cannot be used in "internal"
operations where there is no room for mechanical clamping. One of
our customers makes saw blades than have kerfs thinner than dimes, for
example.

Anyway we developed technology to successfully braze cermets and some
ceramics the same way you braze carbide. This means you can use them
on saw blades, hones, drill bits, etc.

I have a report on research that Forintek (www.forintek.ca) did for us
and I am writing press releases about it. My background is material
science and not machining unfortunately so my knowledge of processes
and the language is largely theoretical. I worked my way through
college on plant floors and I know how much the college guys don't
know about how things get made so I was looking for help with the
right term.

What I was looking for was a term to describe machining operations
where a brazed part is required because there is no room to hold the
tip mechanically.

Tom Walz
www.carbideprocessors.com

michael

Tom Walz wrote:

[...]

Tom,

Is my impression correct that your company is the only one currently
brazing cermet/ceramic tooling? I'm thinking the optimum application
because of the lack of mechanical clamping is in the small/micro type
tooling, yes? If true, I think initially stating this type tooling is
available, then expanding with details regarding different internal
operations like pocketing, grooving, and boring would make sense.

Whatever you come up with, I would be interested in getting info when
available, as I am in business cutting metal, etc.

michael
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Tom Walz fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by 28 Jul 2004 08:10:50 -0700:

Is there a general term for tool operations where the cutting is done
inside the material such a sawing, drilling, honing cylinder walls,
etc?

Low clearance?
--

Dan