Robert Scibienski

Default General term for operations inside the material?

Why not come at it from the other side and write "operations requiring
permanently fixed cutting edges" or something similar?
Bob S.

On 29 Jul 2004 08:24:11 -0700, (Tom Walz) wrote:

Sorry for the ambiguity

Brief background
Coated carbide, Cermets and ceramics are superior to uncoated carbide
in many applications however they are hard to braze. This means they
can be used very successfully in "external" operations where there is
room for mechanical clamping but cannot be used in "internal"
operations where there is no room for mechanical clamping. One of
our customers makes saw blades than have kerfs thinner than dimes, for
example.

Anyway we developed technology to successfully braze cermets and some
ceramics the same way you braze carbide. This means you can use them
on saw blades, hones, drill bits, etc.

I have a report on research that Forintek (
www.forintek.ca) did for us
and I am writing press releases about it. My background is material
science and not machining unfortunately so my knowledge of processes
and the language is largely theoretical. I worked my way through
college on plant floors and I know how much the college guys don't
know about how things get made so I was looking for help with the
right term.

What I was looking for was a term to describe machining operations
where a brazed part is required because there is no room to hold the
tip mechanically.

Tom Walz
www.carbideprocessors.com