Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Why don't they make 4 wire Romex

wrote in message
Why don't they make 4 wire Romex (plus ground).
There are many 2 or 3 way switch circuits that need 4 wires plus the
ground. 3 wire is all they sell. I can think of other cases where I
could use 4 wires too. For example, I had to run two common strands
of romex to a double light switch that also feeds an outlet. Two
switched wires, one hot, one neutral. That's 4 wires.

As someone else pointed out, for a "switch loop" you can make a white wire
hot. And, of course, you CAN get the 4 wire romex (in TWO types of
marking) that you want.

You might consider just accomplishing what you want by separate the circuits
and using, for example, the 2 wire romex for the outlet. Even if the 2
wire romex runs between the same two boxes as the 3 wire romex, you should
only connect the two neutrals at the source end. The general idea is that
the sum of all the currents in one romex should be zero.

So now I have
an illegal white wire controlling a light from a switch. Why not 4
wire romex with black, red, blue, and white. (patriotic too).