Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do about the granite company?

Hi,

Here's a brief version of what happened. I hired a granite company in
the Philly, PA area to install granite in my stand up shower. The
whole job was $1200: $600 for the granite and $600 for the
installation.

The frameless shower glass contractor informed me that the threshold
was pitched the wrong way. After some haggling (the granite folks were
insisting that 1/8" the wrong way is "only a little wrong") they came
over to remove the threshold, After they removed it, they informed me
that they will not be reinstalling the theshold for fear that it may
shift and end up being pitched the wrong way again. They further
informed me that if I take the measurements and mark the stone for
them, they will cut it for me and give me a check for $300 to have
someone install it again.

So far I have not been able to find anyone to do this because it is
too small a job on the one hand and nobody wants to deal with granite
for fear of breaking it on the other.

What can I do at this point? What recourse do I have against the
granite company? I was very foolish and did not sign a contract.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 12:42�am, Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

I would take them to small claims court for the entire amount. to get
their attention....

dont know what options there were, but they should of informed you
bewfore they removed it that they refuse to reinstall it
Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On May 4, 8:50Â*am, " wrote:
[...]

bewfore they removed it that they refuse to reinstall it- Hide quoted text -

did you pay them completely? if not, hold payment.... no contract-
big mistake.... They admit to an error on their side.....Speak to
owner of company and if nothing- sue
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 8:50Â*am, " wrote:
[...]

First lesson in all this is to get it in writing. From the facts as
stated, you have a right to be ****ed. However, if you can get past
that, from a practical standpoint, their offer may be your best
option. You get granite that matches and $300 for someone to install
it. Certainly if you look around, you can find someone that will do
it, particularly in the current housing market situation. That fixes
it now and gets it over with.

Another option would be to get someone else to finish the job,
including providing the granite, assuming they can match it. You
could then sue in small claims, for the cost and would likely win.
But how much better is that than their offer?

Or you could take them to small claims and wait for it to be
resolved. Quite frankly, in that case, I doubt you'd get more than
what they are offering you, which is basicly the material and labor
cost to make it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

To tell the truth, the granite company offer sounds too good to be
true. It sounds a bit like a client or project they just want to
get rid of.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

[...]

Courts and attorneys are expensive. 1/8" the wrong way? What actual
effect will that have? Will
the threshold be exposed inside the shower when the glass door is in
place? What about glass for
the threshold?

I am assuming that the threshold was destroyed in taking it out. If the
conversation has been friendly
to this point, I would certainly try to get them to redo the threshold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
I am assuming that the threshold was destroyed in taking it out. If the
conversation has been friendly
to this point, I would certainly try to get them to redo the threshold.

I would too, but my guess is the granite company knows the customer is a
PITA that cannot be satisfied and just want to get out as unscathed as
possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 11:42*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

They will cut it, make the edge, buff it, and give you 300, so they
loose maybe 500-600. Maybe make up and offer them 1-200 so it gets
done now. It was a mistake. Now the question real question is why they
want out so bad of your home. Were they the cheapest bid and had
problems?
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

What can I do at this point? What recourse do I have against the
granite company? I was very foolish and did not sign a contract.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

They will cut it, make the edge, buff it, and give you 300, so they
loose maybe 500-600. Maybe make up and offer them 1-200 so it gets
done now. It was a mistake. Now the question real question is why they
want out so bad of your home. Were they the cheapest bid and had
problems?

I was inclined to suggest forgetting the refund and consider offering to
pay a bit more - I'm
pretty much of a chicken these days ) If the job was otherwise
satisfactory, I would try
to make amends and maybe go a little further to mend the relationship.
You might both gain from
that. Best of luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 4:09*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

problems?- Hide quoted text -

The were not the cheapest bid - they came recommended by my
contractor. The cheapest bid was 1k.
As far as 1/8" - I was informed by my frameless glass contractor that
the wrong pitch would result in my having a puddle on the floor.

As far as wanting out of the home, they've explained that they did
everything properly and that the granite shifted after they left and
they are concerned that it will happen again. As far as sensing a PITA
- perhaps. Until I learned about the problem I had been very happy
with the job. At the time of the job, I tipped the workers $80 for 2.5
hours of work so can't imagine that they don't want to come back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:

[...]

This is an excellent example. Hire ONE contractor to do the job. You
set yourself up as the mini-GC (General Contractor). Now you need to
deal with the subcontractors. Had you hired a GC he'd work out these
problems. You have no leverage since you are not likely to do another
job in the near term.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 2:39 pm, "DanG" wrote:
To tell the truth, the granite company offer sounds too good to be
true. It sounds a bit like a client or project they just want to
get rid of.

Yep. My take as well.