Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tankless hard cost numbers

http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/waterheating.htm

best comparison I have seen, compares electric, gas, oil, standard vs
tankless yearly water heating costs.

Even has install costs, expected lifetimes of units etc.

good reading for anyone considering a new hot water unit
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 May 2008 14:10:57 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/waterheating.htm

best comparison I have seen, compares electric, gas, oil, standard vs
tankless yearly water heating costs.

Even has install costs, expected lifetimes of units etc.

good reading for anyone considering a new hot water unit

It's a good resource, but I'd caution that some of the assumptions
need updating. For example, the cost of fuel oil in the price
comparison table is listed as $2.40 a gallon and, today, that number
would be closer to $4.00 (I'm currently paying $4.17 a gallon). On
that basis, the annual energy cost of a conventional oil-fired water
heater would fall in the range of $1,100.00, as opposed to the $650.00
shown here.

Cheers,
Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/waterheating.htm

best comparison I have seen, compares electric, gas, oil, standard vs
tankless yearly water heating costs.

Even has install costs, expected lifetimes of units etc.

good reading for anyone considering a new hot water unit

It's a good resource, but I'd caution that some of the assumptions
need updating. �For example, the cost of fuel oil in the price
comparison table is listed as $2.40 a gallon and, today, that number
would be closer to $4.00 (I'm currently paying $4.17 a gallon). �On
that basis, the annual energy cost of a conventional oil-fired water
heater would fall in the range of $1,100.00, as opposed to the $650.00
shown here.

Cheers,
Paul

yep very true, must be hard to run a website with such volatile fuel
costs..

natural gas will have gone up over 20% since april, for the fall
heating season locally

we are getting a new 95% furnace with air, and i am looking at hot
water heaters since ours is old and really should be moved during the
new furnace install...... more efficent use of space.

if the condensing furnaces are truly 2 grand i would never save any
money...

thats how i stumbled on to this info
Posted to alt.home.repair

meant condensing hot water tanks 2 grand.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/waterheating.htm

best comparison I have seen, compares electric, gas, oil, standard vs
tankless yearly water heating costs.

Even has install costs, expected lifetimes of units etc.

good reading for anyone considering a new hot water unit

It's a good resource, but I'd caution that some of the assumptions
need updating. For example, the cost of fuel oil in the price
comparison table is listed as $2.40 a gallon and, today, that number
would be closer to $4.00 (I'm currently paying $4.17 a gallon). On
that basis, the annual energy cost of a conventional oil-fired water
heater would fall in the range of $1,100.00, as opposed to the $650.00
shown here.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul -

Where the heck do you live?? Diesel at the pump is around $4.20 where
I am (WI), so you subtract the taxes and get retail fuel oil at around
$3.80 (ish). Holy cow!

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's a good resource, but I'd caution that some of the assumptions
need updating. For example, the cost of fuel oil in the price
comparison table is listed as $2.40 a gallon and, today, that number
would be closer to $4.00 (I'm currently paying $4.17 a gallon). On
that basis, the annual energy cost of a conventional oil-fired water
heater would fall in the range of $1,100.00, as opposed to the $650.00
shown here.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul -

Where the heck do you live?? Diesel at the pump is around $4.20 where
I am (WI), so you subtract the taxes and get retail fuel oil at around
$3.80 (ish). Holy cow!

JK

Hi Jake,

I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia and I currently pay $1.109 per litre
which, if my math is correct, translates to be $4.17 per gallon (i.e.,
1 U.S. gallon = 3.76 litres). Taxes extra.

Mind you, it could be worse. The average price is reported to be
$129.9 per litre in Victoria, B.C. and that converts to a whopping
$4.88 per gallon ($5.13 with tax).

Source: http://www.mjervin.com/WPPS_Public.htm

Cheers,
Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 May 2008 17:09:30 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

yep very true, must be hard to run a website with such volatile fuel
costs..

natural gas will have gone up over 20% since april, for the fall
heating season locally

we are getting a new 95% furnace with air, and i am looking at hot
water heaters since ours is old and really should be moved during the
new furnace install...... more efficent use of space.

if the condensing furnaces are truly 2 grand i would never save any
money...

thats how i stumbled on to this info

I fear natural gas prices are about to take off like a scared rabbit.
I won't bore you with the technical reasons (there are several and all
decidedly negative); I'll simply note that the Nymex Henry Hub price
closed Friday at $10.78 per MMBtu and that's more than double the
front-month close of just eight months ago. What's also interesting
is that inventory levels are falling at a time when they normally rise
in advance of the summer a/c season; that suggests price will be under
even greater pressure come fall -- if it turns out to be another hot
summer and all those gas turbines are busting their asses keeping
those a/c units humming, things could turn a tad ugly.

Cheers,
Paul