Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default Indexing Odd Numbers

Hello all.

I'd like to space out 5 and 7 markings around the circumference of a
convex cone shaped turning. I have 48 and 96 position indexing on my
lathe but come up with a fractional number when dividing it out.

I tried wrapping both tape and paper around the turning, but being
convex and tapered, it just wouldn't lay flat. I tried auto striping
tape which will follow the curve but when I removed it to mark out the
segments, it had stretched into a very curved shape which was difficult
to measure with my straight rulers.

Any simple ideas to help out?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Forgot to mention that stepping the 5 and 7 segments out with dividers
would likely leave pinholes in the finish turned piece. Though I guess I
could do that if I's veeeeewy cauwfull.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Owen Lowe wrote:

Hello all.

I'd like to space out 5 and 7 markings around the circumference of a
convex cone shaped turning. I have 48 and 96 position indexing on my
lathe but come up with a fractional number when dividing it out.

I tried wrapping both tape and paper around the turning, but being
convex and tapered, it just wouldn't lay flat. I tried auto striping
tape which will follow the curve but when I removed it to mark out the
segments, it had stretched into a very curved shape which was difficult
to measure with my straight rulers.

Any simple ideas to help out?

Have you turned this already? How about a pentagon and heptagon - stick
made - to slip over the form. If needed, build so that it can be
assembled on the form - eg both ends too large to slide polygon over the
piece. Build your polygons such that a circle the diameter of the correct
place on the form can be inscribed within them.

LD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Owen Lowe wrote:
Hello all.

I'd like to space out 5 and 7 markings around the circumference of a
convex cone shaped turning. I have 48 and 96 position indexing on my
lathe but come up with a fractional number when dividing it out.

I tried wrapping both tape and paper around the turning, but being
convex and tapered, it just wouldn't lay flat. I tried auto striping
tape which will follow the curve but when I removed it to mark out the
segments, it had stretched into a very curved shape which was difficult
to measure with my straight rulers.

Any simple ideas to help out?

Have you tried indexing the chuck or faceplate? I once indexed a glue block.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Never cut what you can untie. --
Joseph Joubert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike R. Courteau

Have you tried using a wire instead? I can't visualize the piece but I
have in the past used a wire to mark off a path and then transcribed
that to a piece of paper as a template.

A shot in the dark.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

I'd like to space out 5 and 7 markings around the circumference of a
convex cone shaped turning. I have 48 and 96 position indexing on my
lathe but come up with a fractional number when dividing it out.

Metal milling machines have the same problem, for instance cutting a 37 tooth
gear, that's why they have an indexer that can index any number from 1-300 or
so. Of course they weigh about 300 pounds and cost $2000...

If you are going to do this often, then have a machine shop make you a new index
plate for your lathe with the odd divisions not one your 96 plate such as 3, 5,
7, 9, 11 etc.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

Hello Owen,

Do you have Woodturner-PRO program for segmenting? If you do, design a ring with
and odd number of segments to fit your needs. Print it out and paste it to a
wooden disk. Make a saw cut at each mark seperating the segments. Make sure you
drill a hole to fit over your spindle. You can then make up a locater out of an
old saw blade to fit in the slot you cut and you have an odd number indexing
head. The disk will fit behind your chuck or faceplate. If this is not clear,
e-mail me and I'll try to make it more clear. If you don't have Woodturner PRO,
let me know and I'll make you up a drawing for you from Woodturner PRO.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Owen
Lowe says...

Hello all.

I'd like to space out 5 and 7 markings around the circumference of a
convex cone shaped turning. I have 48 and 96 position indexing on my
lathe but come up with a fractional number when dividing it out.

I tried wrapping both tape and paper around the turning, but being
convex and tapered, it just wouldn't lay flat. I tried auto striping
tape which will follow the curve but when I removed it to mark out the
segments, it had stretched into a very curved shape which was difficult
to measure with my straight rulers.

Any simple ideas to help out?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DJ Delorie

Fred Holder writes:
Do you have Woodturner-PRO program for segmenting? If you do, design
a ring with and odd number of segments to fit your needs.

If not, I have a web form that at least does the math and printout for
you:

http://www.delorie.com/wood/segturn.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tim

Owen,
I make indexing systems for woodlathes. Contact me through my website
and maybe I can help you out with a custom indexing plate if you wish.
Our stock plate for either 1 inch spindles or 3/4 inch spindles have
two rows of indexing holes. The first row of 72 holes are 5 degrees
apart and the second row of 20 holes are 18 degrees apart.
Tim Q
"A-LEE-SAM"
http://alisam.com/

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Lowe
Hello all.

I'd like to space out 5 and 7 markings around the circumference of a
convex cone shaped turning. I have 48 and 96 position indexing on my
lathe but come up with a fractional number when dividing it out.

I tried wrapping both tape and paper around the turning, but being
convex and tapered, it just wouldn't lay flat. I tried auto striping
tape which will follow the curve but when I removed it to mark out the
segments, it had stretched into a very curved shape which was difficult
to measure with my straight rulers.

Any simple ideas to help out?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: http://www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/object...6BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
I have an exel spreadsheet that will give x and y co-ordinates for points on any pitch circle diameter for any selected number of divisions. With this you could calibrate your face plate for this job. If it of interest e-mail me Tony Ashgrove at

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

Can you role a large piece of firm paper into a cylinder and place it
around the circumference?
If yes, that will allow you to convert the circumference to a straight
line (when you lay out the paper marked to the circumference length).
Divide the length into your desired number of points and mark them on
the paper.
Place it back around the circumference, and mark off the points (maybe
onto some easy removeable tape).
Good luck,
Alan

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:55:58 -0700, Owen Lowe
wrote:

Hello all.

I'd like to space out 5 and 7 markings around the circumference of a
convex cone shaped turning. I have 48 and 96 position indexing on my
lathe but come up with a fractional number when dividing it out.

I tried wrapping both tape and paper around the turning, but being
convex and tapered, it just wouldn't lay flat. I tried auto striping
tape which will follow the curve but when I removed it to mark out the
segments, it had stretched into a very curved shape which was difficult
to measure with my straight rulers.

Any simple ideas to help out?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default Indexing Odd Numbers - Followup

In article
,
Owen Lowe wrote:

Thank you, EVERYONE! I think I solved my problem by taking a little bit
of this reply and mixed it with a little of that reply and that reply...

I'd like to space out 5 and 7 markings around the circumference of a
convex cone shaped turning. I have 48 and 96 position indexing on my
lathe but come up with a fractional number when dividing it out.

Here's a picture of the project I was working on - you'll note near the
top there are shiny things - these are two rows of blinking LEDs. The
upper row has 5 lights the lower row has 7 lights (though you can't see
them on the right part of the cone in the picture, the lights are evenly
spaced around the circumference).

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/Buck'sRocket.jpg

I tried wrapping both tape and paper around the turning, but being
convex and tapered, it just wouldn't lay flat. I tried auto striping
tape which will follow the curve but when I removed it to mark out the
segments, it had stretched into a very curved shape which was difficult
to measure with my straight rulers.

Any simple ideas to help out?

I ended up using Adobe Illustrator to draw two stars - one with 5
points, one with 7, inside an 8" circle with a spindle diameter center
circle. I aligned everything to the center and drew lines bisecting each
point to make the point "sharper" to my eyes. Printed it, spray mounted
it to a cardboard disk and cut the outer circle and then the center hole
so it slips snugly over the lathe spindle and up against the shoulder.

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/OddIndex'n'Spindle.jpg

Since this was only for marking out and was not needed to lock in
position for carving or whatnot, I was able to set the tool rest so that
it spanned the index wheel and the area of the turning I needed to mark
(in this case indicating where to drill the holes for the LEDs). Using a
#2B pencil I marked each position where the appropriate star's point was
aligned with the top of the tool rest.

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/OddIndex'n'Rest.jpg

I could have made notches in the cardboard and set up a paperclip "pin"
if the tool rest hadn't spanned the entire distance from cardboard to
turning.