G Henslee

ELL wrote:
Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on
white background?

Thanks!

Mine are black on white. Really, who cares...
Abe

Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on
white background?

--------
Black on white.
Edwin Pawlowski

"ELL" wrote in message
Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on
white background?

Black on white. I've not seen that for many years. Used to be very common
when I lived in Philadelphia. Now they are on the mailbox at the curb as
well as the front of the house. The town requires them for 911 calls.

Tom Horne

ELL wrote:
Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on
white background?

Thanks!

Retro reflective white on black or black on retro reflective white.
--
Tom
m Ransley

Black on yellow

SteveB

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"ELL" wrote in message
Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers
on
white background?

Black on white. I've not seen that for many years. Used to be very common
when I lived in Philadelphia. Now they are on the mailbox at the curb as
well as the front of the house. The town requires them for 911 calls.

Our city likes it if you have numbers on the roof so they can aid police
helicopters.

Steve

Tony Hwang

m Ransley wrote:

Black on yellow

Hi,
Good choice!
Tony

"SteveB" wrote:

Our city likes it if you have numbers on the roof so they can aid police
helicopters.

Wonder why you couldn't have the Hawaiian Salute painted on the roof, then
they could radio in; "Roger that,,,we are over the house giving us the
Finger, over." (-:

Steve

RicodJour

m Ransley wrote:
Black on yellow

Black on reflective yellow or white.

http://www.amesresearch.com/reflect.htm

RicodJour

Or use a top coating spray paint:
http://www.allstatesign.com/reflective_paint.htm

ELL

Default House Numbers Painted on Curb

Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on
white background?

Thanks!

George E. Cawthon

ELL wrote:
Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on
white background?

Thanks!

Seems strange that no one mentioned that numbers
on the curb are useless. Emergency people aren't
looking at the curb, and any numbers will be
dirty, covered up, or cars parked where you can't
read them. Painting numbers on the curb is a
scam. If you want people to find your address,
put the number on a clear spot on the front of
your house, or nail them on a tree, a fence, a
mailbox, but make sure that they are about at eye
level.
Gene

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:03:36 -0700, "ELL" wrote:

Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on
white background?

Thanks!

Ummmm...What if you live on a gravel road???

Personally, I think the fire dept would pull up to the house with
smoke spewing from the windows too
Edwin Pawlowski

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Seems strange that no one mentioned that numbers on the curb are useless.
Emergency people aren't looking at the curb, and any numbers will be
dirty, covered up, or cars parked where you can't read them.

Not always. In many big cities there is no parking allowed on one side or
small streets. Having been employed in my teenaged years delivering
groceries, it was common to use the curb numbers. They were in a consistent
place, unlike some house numbers on doors, next to doors, over door, on mail
boxes, on light fixtures, etc.

In the summer, it was a way for the derelicts of making a few bucks. They
would paint the numbers and ask for donations.

RicodJour

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Seems strange that no one mentioned that numbers
on the curb are useless. Emergency people aren't
looking at the curb, and any numbers will be
dirty, covered up, or cars parked where you can't
read them. Painting numbers on the curb is a
scam. If you want people to find your address,
put the number on a clear spot on the front of
your house, or nail them on a tree, a fence, a
mailbox, but make sure that they are about at eye
level.

Depends on where you live, I suppose. There are places where it's part
of the local zoning code. Where I am there are a lot of trees - can't
always see the front of the house, no mailboxes by the road allowed,
cars aren't allowed to park on the streets after a certain time at
night (not really a need as everyone has fairly long driveways), etc.

Emergency drivers would certainly be looking for the numbers on the
curb if they were there.

SteveB

ELL wrote:
Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers
on
white background?

Thanks!

Seems strange that no one mentioned that numbers on the curb are useless.
Emergency people aren't looking at the curb, and any numbers will be
dirty, covered up, or cars parked where you can't read them. Painting
numbers on the curb is a scam. If you want people to find your address,
put the number on a clear spot on the front of your house, or nail them on
a tree, a fence, a mailbox, but make sure that they are about at eye
level.

Huh? Just because they don't use them where you are doesn't mean they are
useless. What's useless is when the numbers are covered in ivy, or one or
two of them have fallen off, or they are brown numbers on a brown wall, or
..... well, you get the idea.

I have seen many a house where it is a time consuming hunt to find the house
numbers.

And some homeowners take delight in making them hard to see.

Steve

Sacramento Dave

"ELL" wrote in message
Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black numbers on
white background?

Thanks!

light blue background with Magenta numbers, It's called San Francisco

style

Nick Hull

In article %JgAe.23071$4o.19056@fed1read06,

Our city likes it if you have numbers on the roof so they can aid police
helicopters.

I like it if the police helicopters have a bullseye painted on the
bottom

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
George E. Cawthon

RicodJour wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I forgot about the upscale areas since I
live in a poor area where the lots are only a half
acre. Where does the mailman put the mail if you
can't have mailboxes by the road? I suppose they
don't allow pink flamingos either!
George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Seems strange that no one mentioned that numbers on the curb are useless.
Emergency people aren't looking at the curb, and any numbers will be
dirty, covered up, or cars parked where you can't read them.

Not always. In many big cities there is no parking allowed on one side or
small streets. Having been employed in my teenaged years delivering
groceries, it was common to use the curb numbers. They were in a consistent
place, unlike some house numbers on doors, next to doors, over door, on mail
boxes, on light fixtures, etc.

In the summer, it was a way for the derelicts of making a few bucks. They
would paint the numbers and ask for donations.

Nothing is "always." Numbers on the curb is still
mostly a scam. But, at least here, the emergency
people just don't give a damn about looking for
house numbers on the curb. Besides, they aren't
that flexible. They have maps, and GPS, and all
sorts of stuff. They should since they get money
from a telephone assessment and about 3 different
real estate tax, still they still get lost and
can't find places that are clearly marked. Like I
said, not very flexible, reading the actual street
signs apparently isn't part of the training.
Doesn't have much to do with smarts, because those
FBI agents (mostly lawyers) seems to have a
problem with mixing up addresses also.

George E. Cawthon

ELL wrote:

[...]

Well they may not be useless to real estate agents
and crooks, but the painters promote them as
valuable for emergency workers. Emergency
workers have maps that will show them that it is
the 4th house from the corner on the southside, so
one doesn't have to look for numbers. Probably
the most use place for the numbers would be in
rural areas but then they probably don't have a
curbs to put the numbers on.

What gets me is how many business have not numbers
showing on their buildings. Often in looking for
an unfamiliar business address, I pas dozens of
building with none indicating a number.
Incredibly dumb.
EXT

In the summer, it was a way for the derelicts of making a few bucks. They
would paint the numbers and ask for donations.

If this is how the numbers get painted, one wonders what type of paint they
use (so it will last) and how good they are at "signpainting" numbers (so
they are legible).

EXT

Numbers on the curb seem to be a southern thing, up here where the snow
flies, they would be buried under snow or slush for 4 months of the year and
scraped off the surface of the curb by the snowplows.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Philip Lewis

"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM writes:
Numbers on the curb seem to be a southern thing, up here where the snow
flies, they would be buried under snow or slush for 4 months of the year and
scraped off the surface of the curb by the snowplows.

It's been done as far north as pittsburgh, at least.

If someone painted our natural stone curbs (ie not poured
concrete, and not easily replaceable), then came and asked for a
donation, I'd insist they clean it up.

I'm considering making cast stone plaques for us and possibly some
neighbors... just havn't figured out the details.

--
be safe.
flip

Edwin Pawlowski

"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...

In the summer, it was a way for the derelicts of making a few bucks. They
would paint the numbers and ask for donations.

If this is how the numbers get painted, one wonders what type of paint
they
use (so it will last) and how good they are at "signpainting" numbers (so
they are legible).

Most were rather well done. It has been years since I lived in the city and
it may have been lead based paint at that time.

On 11-Jul-2005, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

If this is how the numbers get painted, one wonders what
type of paint
they
use (so it will last) and how good they are at
"signpainting" numbers (so
they are legible).

Most were rather well done. It has been years since I
lived in the city and
it may have been lead based paint at that time.

Back when I was a kid and this was common I remember that
they all used stencils.
They also seem to have obtained reflective paint somewhere
so I wouldn't be surprised if the city was supplying it.

I also remember that in general they weren't what you would
consider "a bum" these days. They were clean, reasonably
neat in appearance and polite.

ml
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/10/05 07:46 pm George E. Cawthon tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Which is better.....white numbers on black background, or black
numbers on
white background?

Seems strange that no one mentioned that numbers on the curb are
useless. Emergency people aren't looking at the curb, and any numbers
will be dirty, covered up, or cars parked where you can't read them.
Painting numbers on the curb is a scam. If you want people to find your
address, put the number on a clear spot on the front of your house, or
nail them on a tree, a fence, a mailbox, but make sure that they are
about at eye level.

When I lived in So. Cal., I saw many houses with numbers painted on the
curb (black on white). I found it far easier to locate the house,
especially at night, because they showed up well and were in a
consistent location.

Perce
Greg M

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
[...]

I grew up in So. Cal and I remember almost every house having numbers
painted on the curb. In fact, one summer a friend and I made some extra
money in addition our paper routes by painting curb numbers.

Greg M.

Try blue numbers on a red background

Rob Mills

Seems strange that no one mentioned that numbers on the curb are useless.
Emergency people aren't looking at the curb, and any numbers will be
dirty, covered up, or cars parked where you can't read them. Painting
numbers on the curb is a scam.

Both of my sons are fire fighters in a fairly large city and one of their
biggest peeves is folks who don't have their address's visible at the
street. One of the best places is to have them is on both sides of the drive
just as the city curb curves into the driveway, this way they can be seen
coming from either direction.
If your heart quits ticking at 3 AM you'll be glad you had them in plain
sight
as every second counts. RM ~

PS, We just had ours redone with reflective white numbers on a green back
ground, You can't miss them. Cost me $10. We also have large brass numbers
on
front of house.