On 11-Jul-2005, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

If this is how the numbers get painted, one wonders what
type of paint
they
use (so it will last) and how good they are at
"signpainting" numbers (so
they are legible).

Most were rather well done. It has been years since I
lived in the city and
it may have been lead based paint at that time.

Back when I was a kid and this was common I remember that
they all used stencils.
They also seem to have obtained reflective paint somewhere
so I wouldn't be surprised if the city was supplying it.

I also remember that in general they weren't what you would
consider "a bum" these days. They were clean, reasonably
neat in appearance and polite.

ml