Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Router features

I'm considering buying my first router and not having used one much in
the past, I'm unsure what the important features are. I'm sure more
HP means better cutting power. I've seen some that say "fixed speed"
so I assume some are variable or multiple speed. Is a fixed table OK
or is plunge important? Any brands I should run screaming from? (I
saw some poor reviews of Craftsman here.)

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Christopher Nelson wrote:
I'm considering buying my first router and not having used one much in
the past, I'm unsure what the important features are. I'm sure more
HP means better cutting power. I've seen some that say "fixed speed"
so I assume some are variable or multiple speed. Is a fixed table OK
or is plunge important? Any brands I should run screaming from? (I
saw some poor reviews of Craftsman here.)

Chris

Knowing nothing about routers I suggest you try to buy from a place that
allows returns in a reasonable time. Or perhaps rent one like you are
thinking of buying.
I am sure others will ask you what your intended uses and usage will be.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

LouB wrote:
Christopher Nelson wrote:
I'm considering buying my first router and not having used one much in
the past, I'm unsure what the important features are. I'm sure more
HP means better cutting power. I've seen some that say "fixed speed"
so I assume some are variable or multiple speed. Is a fixed table OK
or is plunge important? Any brands I should run screaming from? (I
saw some poor reviews of Craftsman here.)

Chris

Knowing nothing about routers I suggest you try to buy from a place that
allows returns in a reasonable time. Or perhaps rent one like you are
thinking of buying.
I am sure others will ask you what your intended uses and usage will be.

That first.

I'd recommend a google search on rec.woodworking -- it's a common
subject won't take a minute to find as many threads as you'll care to read.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
I'm considering buying my first router and not having used one much in
the past, I'm unsure what the important features are. I'm sure more
HP means better cutting power. I've seen some that say "fixed speed"
so I assume some are variable or multiple speed. Is a fixed table OK
or is plunge important? Any brands I should run screaming from? (I
saw some poor reviews of Craftsman here.)

Chris

More HP means more cutting power. It also means more weight to handle when
trying to do fine work.

Some are variable speed. If you are going to use large bits, the variable
speed is important as they must turn slower to keep tip speed down.

I'd recommend getting a kit with changeable bases so you can have the best
of both. De Walt and Porter-Cable are good, as is Bosch I have a Bosch
mounted in a table that gets 905 of my router use. Visit www.partwarner.com
for good router information and reviews.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:35vSj.1158$To6.536
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

www.partwarner.com

Just to clarify that is www.patwarner.com

thanks for the link Ed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 May 2008 18:57:55 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

I'm considering buying my first router and not having used one much in
the past, I'm unsure what the important features are. I'm sure more
HP means better cutting power. I've seen some that say "fixed speed"
so I assume some are variable or multiple speed. Is a fixed table OK
or is plunge important? Any brands I should run screaming from? (I
saw some poor reviews of Craftsman here.)

Variable speed is good. Lets you slow down and safely use large
cutters. Plunge base is useful for plowing out stopped dadoes. More
HP means more power; king of the beasts is the 3 HP Porter-Cable, but
it's very big and heavy for handheld use. Great for a router table.
Soft start is a good feature to have - gives you enough time to get
both hands on the router before the bit is up to full speed. I have a
Hitachi kit that includes both fixed and plunge bases. Porter-Cable
and DeWalt make good routers as well. Tons of accessories available
for the Porter-Cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doc" wrote in message
. ..
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:35vSj.1158$To6.536
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

www.partwarner.com

Just to clarify that is www.patwarner.com

thanks for the link Ed.

You're welcome. Thanks for catching the typo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

On Fri, 02 May 2008 19:56:47 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

wrote in
m:

On Fri, 02 May 2008 13:37:22 GMT,
(Bill)

wrote:

[...]

One feature I REALLY like when using a router hand-held is
illumination. Makes a huge difference to be able to see your work
that well.

With the light on mine I can really see much better....the sawdust on
the inside of the viewing shield.

Then you are doing it wrong, Red! LOL

**** happens - good ****, bad **** - but **** always happens.