Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Router features

wrote in :

On Fri, 02 May 2008 13:37:22 GMT,
(Bill)
wrote:

On Thu, 1 May 2008 18:57:55 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

I'm considering buying my first router and not having used one much in
the past, I'm unsure what the important features are. I'm sure more
HP means better cutting power. I've seen some that say "fixed speed"
so I assume some are variable or multiple speed. Is a fixed table OK
or is plunge important? Any brands I should run screaming from? (I
saw some poor reviews of Craftsman here.)

Variable speed is good. Lets you slow down and safely use large
cutters. Plunge base is useful for plowing out stopped dadoes. More
HP means more power; king of the beasts is the 3 HP Porter-Cable, but
it's very big and heavy for handheld use. Great for a router table.
Soft start is a good feature to have - gives you enough time to get
both hands on the router before the bit is up to full speed. I have a
Hitachi kit that includes both fixed and plunge bases. Porter-Cable
and DeWalt make good routers as well. Tons of accessories available
for the Porter-Cable.

One feature I REALLY like when using a router hand-held is
illumination. Makes a huge difference to be able to see your work that
well.

With the light on mine I can really see much better....the sawdust on the
inside of the viewing shield.