Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Drills - brands and features

Hi

Went to B and Q today and decided I needed a new drill - I had 3 options.

1) Black and Decker CD70SML - This was a 'value pack' and had a drill with
710w (I think) power, a tool to see if pipes are in the walls before you
drill and a funky tape emasure with laser (that I quite wanted) - apparently
it was old Christmas stock and they wanted rid. - £30

2) Black and Decker - KR55CREK - This was a 500w drill on its own - it
looked a bit more modern than the value pack one and it also had a carry
case which the cheaper one didn't. - £35

3) A Ryobi drill. 500w - This came with 17 drill bits and a 128mb MP3 player
(LOL, shame as well as I would have loved it if it was 1GB as a need one,
but 128mb is less than what I got on my mobile phone) - the guy said this
was £60 but they wanted rid of them - they had stacks - apparently it is
used by pros and uses metal bits inside where cheaper oens use plastic - it
felt noticeably heavier than the other 2 and he said it was miles better
quality. This was also £30

Can you tell me what you think is the best drill?

What major differences will I notice with different power available (710w /
500w) in actual use (I use the drill every few weeks but not hardcore and
always for stuff around the home)

Finally, I think the drill bits that come with the Ryobi were for
metal,masonary and wood (not concrete) - they are titanium (gold colour)
ones - do they sound OK? Its a massive bonus point as I need these bits and
a set costs a lot on its own.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mo wrote:

Went to B and Q today and decided I needed a new drill - I had 3 options.

Where are you?
If near Leicester, then I have a B+D hammer drill available for beer
money.
No idea what wattage etc it is, but I've used it for various jobs over
the years, and it has done just fine. I've gone completely cordless now,
so no longer need it.
I've also got a battery Bosch 7v hammer drill for £25ish - this is a
bloody good drill for the price, and ideal for occasional use around the
home.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mo wrote:
Hi

Went to B and Q today and decided I needed a new drill - I had 3
options.
1) Black and Decker CD70SML - This was a 'value pack' and had a drill
with 710w (I think) power, a tool to see if pipes are in the walls
before you drill and a funky tape emasure with laser (that I quite
wanted) - apparently it was old Christmas stock and they wanted rid.
- £30

If it's really 'old Xmas stock' (in July?) and they are desperate to get rid
then this seems like a good deal to ,e for DIY.

2) Black and Decker - KR55CREK - This was a 500w drill on its own - it
looked a bit more modern than the value pack one and it also had a
carry case which the cheaper one didn't. - £35

Looking more modern doesn't mean much. You can buy cases & bags cheaply if
you need one, of just bung ecerything in a £1:99 plastic bin.

3) A Ryobi drill. 500w - This came with 17 drill bits and a 128mb MP3
player (LOL, shame as well as I would have loved it if it was 1GB as
a need one, but 128mb is less than what I got on my mobile phone) -
the guy said this was £60 but they wanted rid of them - they had
stacks - apparently it is used by pros and uses metal bits inside
where cheaper oens use plastic - it felt noticeably heavier than the
other 2 and he said it was miles better quality. This was also £30

I suppose Ryobi is percieved as a better quality than B&D, but its not up
there with Makita/Bosch. 'Used by pros'?

Can you tell me what you think is the best drill?

Afraid not!

What major differences will I notice with different power available
(710w / 500w) in actual use (I use the drill every few weeks but not
hardcore and always for stuff around the home)

For DIY use not much IMO.

Finally, I think the drill bits that come with the Ryobi were for
metal,masonary and wood (not concrete) - they are titanium (gold
colour) ones - do they sound OK? Its a massive bonus point as I need
these bits and a set costs a lot on its own.

Sets of bits are expensive and not always that much use. For example I
rarely use anything but 6mm & 8mm masonry bits for general purpose hanging
things on the wall jobs.

IMO the best bet are the Bosch Multi-Construction Drill Bits
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-B...Bits-35478.htm
all the DIY sheds sell them. A 6mm & 8mm would cost less than £5 and will
drill most materials. They really do work as claimed, I now don't use much
else.

Deal 1 seems OK to me for £30, spend the £5 for bits & Robert is your
Fathers brother.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mo wrote:

Can you tell me what you think is the best drill?

Can you tell us what applications you have in mind for it?
Also how often do you expect to use it?
What sorts of materials do you need to drill?

Finally, I think the drill bits that come with the Ryobi were for
metal,masonary and wood (not concrete) - they are titanium (gold colour)
ones - do they sound OK?

I would not let bundled bits etc influence your choice - they are
consumable items that will soon be gone, you need to live with the drill.

Its a massive bonus point as I need these bits
and a set costs a lot on its own.

Much depends on the quality of the set - often bundled bits are fairly
feeble.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Bosch PSB 650 RE Hammer Drill.is £39.95 in Argos

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 20:31:21 +0100, "Mo" wrote:

Went to B and Q today and decided I needed a new drill - I had 3 options.

Option #4, go to a better shop and find a range that's better than just
B&D or Ryobi !

If you want better, there are any number of better makers, not even too
expensive.

If you want cheaper, go for Lucky Golden Hedgehog and at least it's
cheaper than B&D.

Of what you listed though, go for Ryobi. They're competently done and
"no better than they ought to be". B&D OTOH are just unreliable crap
that's beyond a joke (web search on "Firestorm drill").
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Mo wrote:

Went to B and Q today and decided I needed a new drill - I had 3 options.

Where are you?
If near Leicester, then I have a B+D hammer drill available for beer
money.

Down south mate - so be bit of an effort to get to Leics just for a drill

Thanks for all the other replies

Are cordless drills worth getting? My perception of them is weak drills that
keep running out of batteries! Also will the battery add extra weight?

My useage varies a lot - sometimes I do massive DIY jobs (that generally go
tits up ) and sometimes smaller stuff.

Tomorrow I am putting some shelves up into a concrete shed (the walls will
be fairly solid) and will be drilling around 20 holes (7mm).

So what do you reckon then? Our old drill was Bosch and I was pleased with
it but £40 is steep ATM for me!

B+D is crap? Ryobi isn't worth it?

Why would a Bosch be better than a BD or Ryobi?

Problem with the recommend Bosch drill is that it uses a chuck - I HATE
THOSE THINGS!!
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7106323.htm

I spose I could always take it back - please help with a recommendation
then - I need it by about 1pm tomorrow.

If the Ryobi isn't all that then I might go back and get the BD at least I
can use the laser tape for something...

Also I prefer the handles at the front that come off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mo wrote:

Are cordless drills worth getting? My perception of them is weak drills
that keep running out of batteries! Also will the battery add extra weight?

Good ones can be very effective, the very cheap ones can verge on useless.

Background on cordless:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/cordless.htm

"ordinary drills" (cordless and mains)

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drill.htm

My useage varies a lot - sometimes I do massive DIY jobs (that generally
go tits up ) and sometimes smaller stuff.

Tomorrow I am putting some shelves up into a concrete shed (the walls
will be fairly solid) and will be drilling around 20 holes (7mm).

For making holes in hard stuff then there is nothing that comes close to
an SDS drill. If you have never used one before you will be amazed at
just how well they work:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/sds.htm

Basic ones start in your price range.

So what do you reckon then? Our old drill was Bosch and I was pleased
with it but £40 is steep ATM for me!

B+D is crap? Ryobi isn't worth it?

B&D is very variable. Ryobi if it is the same price as the B&D is better
usually. The positioning of Ryobi stuff is slightly "odd" - being
neither cheap and cheerful, or fully in the pro category.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/category.htm

Why would a Bosch be better than a BD or Ryobi?

A green bodied one would probably be no better. The blue bodied versions
are designed for trade use and are of a much higher build quality.

Problem with the recommend Bosch drill is that it uses a chuck - I HATE
THOSE THINGS!!
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7106323.htm

You will like SDS then ;-)

I spose I could always take it back - please help with a recommendation
then - I need it by about 1pm tomorrow.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7110247.htm

It will be heavy and brutal, but will knock holes through stuff like you
would not believe.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7110247.htm

It will be heavy and brutal, but will knock holes through stuff like you

Thanks

I think I might just stick with the Ryobi then. I will get it out of the
packet and see if it feels OK - doesn't seem to be much evidence to go for
something else!

i'll check out some SDS drills tho.

Nice FAQ btw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mo wrote:
Hi

Went to B and Q today and decided I needed a new drill

In that order? That's impulse buying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jul, 20:31, "Mo" wrote:
[...]

Best for what ?
Get the one with the best guarnetee, you'll need it.

Rick