Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drills - brands and features

Mo wrote:
Hi

Went to B and Q today and decided I needed a new drill - I had 3
options.
1) Black and Decker CD70SML - This was a 'value pack' and had a drill
with 710w (I think) power, a tool to see if pipes are in the walls
before you drill and a funky tape emasure with laser (that I quite
wanted) - apparently it was old Christmas stock and they wanted rid.
- £30

If it's really 'old Xmas stock' (in July?) and they are desperate to get rid
then this seems like a good deal to ,e for DIY.

2) Black and Decker - KR55CREK - This was a 500w drill on its own - it
looked a bit more modern than the value pack one and it also had a
carry case which the cheaper one didn't. - £35

Looking more modern doesn't mean much. You can buy cases & bags cheaply if
you need one, of just bung ecerything in a £1:99 plastic bin.

3) A Ryobi drill. 500w - This came with 17 drill bits and a 128mb MP3
player (LOL, shame as well as I would have loved it if it was 1GB as
a need one, but 128mb is less than what I got on my mobile phone) -
the guy said this was £60 but they wanted rid of them - they had
stacks - apparently it is used by pros and uses metal bits inside
where cheaper oens use plastic - it felt noticeably heavier than the
other 2 and he said it was miles better quality. This was also £30

I suppose Ryobi is percieved as a better quality than B&D, but its not up
there with Makita/Bosch. 'Used by pros'?

Can you tell me what you think is the best drill?

Afraid not!

What major differences will I notice with different power available
(710w / 500w) in actual use (I use the drill every few weeks but not
hardcore and always for stuff around the home)

For DIY use not much IMO.

Finally, I think the drill bits that come with the Ryobi were for
metal,masonary and wood (not concrete) - they are titanium (gold
colour) ones - do they sound OK? Its a massive bonus point as I need
these bits and a set costs a lot on its own.

Sets of bits are expensive and not always that much use. For example I
rarely use anything but 6mm & 8mm masonry bits for general purpose hanging
things on the wall jobs.

IMO the best bet are the Bosch Multi-Construction Drill Bits
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-B...Bits-35478.htm
all the DIY sheds sell them. A 6mm & 8mm would cost less than £5 and will
drill most materials. They really do work as claimed, I now don't use much
else.

Deal 1 seems OK to me for £30, spend the £5 for bits & Robert is your
Fathers brother.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman