Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Drills - brands and features

Hi

Went to B and Q today and decided I needed a new drill - I had 3 options.

1) Black and Decker CD70SML - This was a 'value pack' and had a drill with
710w (I think) power, a tool to see if pipes are in the walls before you
drill and a funky tape emasure with laser (that I quite wanted) - apparently
it was old Christmas stock and they wanted rid. - £30

2) Black and Decker - KR55CREK - This was a 500w drill on its own - it
looked a bit more modern than the value pack one and it also had a carry
case which the cheaper one didn't. - £35

3) A Ryobi drill. 500w - This came with 17 drill bits and a 128mb MP3 player
(LOL, shame as well as I would have loved it if it was 1GB as a need one,
but 128mb is less than what I got on my mobile phone) - the guy said this
was £60 but they wanted rid of them - they had stacks - apparently it is
used by pros and uses metal bits inside where cheaper oens use plastic - it
felt noticeably heavier than the other 2 and he said it was miles better
quality. This was also £30

Can you tell me what you think is the best drill?

What major differences will I notice with different power available (710w /
500w) in actual use (I use the drill every few weeks but not hardcore and
always for stuff around the home)

Finally, I think the drill bits that come with the Ryobi were for
metal,masonary and wood (not concrete) - they are titanium (gold colour)
ones - do they sound OK? Its a massive bonus point as I need these bits and
a set costs a lot on its own.

Thanks