Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LINOLEUM -- to glue or not to glue?

Hi all
I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room
the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet
the home depot guy told me that i don't have to glue it
some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges
some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor
Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

Thanks ahead

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Fastening around the outside only may cause problems moving the heavy
appliances around causing the weight and pressure to stretch and possibly
tear the flooring. I assume you are not using real linoleum but in reality
are using a vinyl product which may have a greater potential to catch on the
feet of the appliances.

"ypylaw1" wrote in message
Hi all
I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room
the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet
the home depot guy told me that i don't have to glue it
some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges
some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor
Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

Thanks ahead

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ypylaw1" wrote in message

Hi all
I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room
the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet
the home depot guy told me that i *don't have to glue it
some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges
some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor
Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

Thanks ahead- Hide quoted text -

Follow the warranty advise, or you have none
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:21:36 -0700 (PDT), ypylaw1 wrote:

Hi all
I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room
the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet
the home depot guy told me that i don't have to glue it
some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges
some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor
Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

And the answer is ... as usual ... "It Depends".

On what will be under the floor covering.

On the quality of the floor covering.

On the pressures etc it will be subjected to.

On how long you need it to last.

Etc, etc.

If you don't fasten it at all, the edges will likely curl.

If it's cheap stuff, I wouldn't glue 100% of it.

"Sometimes, to be silent is to Lie."
- philosopher Miguel Unamuno, during the Spanish Civil War

Posted to alt.home.repair

ypylaw1 wrote:
Hi all
I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room
the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet
the home depot guy told me that i don't have to glue it
some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges
some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor
Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

If you glue it, I can tell you anyhow, it's a bitch to remove.

You'll need one of those 25-pound long-handled floor scrapers and muscles
like the Great Atlas. Or the pneumatic equivalent.

Still, glueing will prevent it from being stolen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ypylaw1 wrote:

Hi all
I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room
the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet
the home depot guy told me that i don't have to glue it
some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges
some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor
Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

Thanks ahead

One home I lived in had light colored vinyl sheet flooring in the
kitchen. It appeared to have
been glued down around the edges and with a spot here and there. It was
discolored in these
areas with a grayish or purplish tint rather than the creamy white or
beige.I have no idea what
was used to cement it down, but it would be a caution against the wrong
product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 3:21 pm, ypylaw1 wrote:
Hi all
I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room
the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet
the home depot guy told me that i don't have to glue it
some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges
some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor
Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

Thanks ahead

Home Depot is going / has gone to glueless vinyl flooring for ease of
installation. I'm not trying to be resistant to change, I just like
the old style of stuff better.

Nonetheless, if you have the stuff that isn't meant to be glued, don't
glue it. The backing isn't designed for general purpose glue and you
could ruin it by gluing it like a traditional vinyl floor. You might
want to use the "glass tape" in the doorway to keep it from buckling,
but you probably don't need to. It shouldn't shrink, curl, and any
dents you make in it with furniture or appliances should eventually
disappear. The thing I don't like about it is that it is pretty
difficult to seam or patch, but this is a little thing that won't be a
concern for most people.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 4:21 pm, ypylaw1 wrote:
I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room
the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet
the home depot guy told me that i don't have to glue it
some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges
some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor
Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

My parents had linoleum put in their basement. Installers just glued
the corners. After a couple of years, the material shrank and it
stretched inward away from the walls - except where it was glued in
the corners. Looked like crap and ruined all of it. No idea what
brand or type it was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ypylaw1" wrote in message
Hi all
I'm putting linoleum in my laundry room
the piece is cut and ready to go about 12x12 feet
the home depot guy told me that i don't have to glue it
some people suggested to use double sided tape on the outer edges
some people said i have to spread glue all over the floor
Any ideas, Anyone try to put it in without gluing it?

Thanks ahead

You wasted your money on junk. Sorry. Unless you can manage to set the
washer and dryer in place without moving them after setting them down you
will most likely rip or stretch the no-glue vinyl. I would NEVER use it
again. My father-in-law tried it and ripped up the vinyl when putting in
the refridgerator. It was in my mobile home when I bought it and it also
got ripped up when we put the refridgerator in place and the same with the
stove. My daughter and son-in-law used it because it was cheap, but they
were able to set the fridge and stove in place with the 2 wheel dolly and
it wasn't too bad. I rehab houses and will not allow my subs to put in
no-glue, even though it is less expensive to buy and to install. If a
house has it and even if it is in good shape I will have it replaced.

Mike D.