Posted to alt.home.repair
crabshell

Default scraping linoleum glue from brick

I have a brick entry that's buried under 2 layers of sheet vinyl. The
sheet vinyl peals up very easily -- it was probably adhesive backed. But
it leaves its backing paper and glue behind on the brick. The brick is
some kind of non-porous type that has some kind of glaze or sealer. Am I
going to damage the surface if I use a manual scrapper? What's the
alternative, heat gun and/or goof-off?
Posted to alt.home.repair
*GED*

crabshell wrote:
I have a brick entry that's buried under 2 layers of sheet vinyl. The
sheet vinyl peals up very easily -- it was probably adhesive backed. But
it leaves its backing paper and glue behind on the brick. The brick is
some kind of non-porous type that has some kind of glaze or sealer. Am I
going to damage the surface if I use a manual scrapper? What's the
alternative, heat gun and/or goof-off?

The heat gun might get you there,marks that are left might just come
off with brick cleaner
[acid] in old money,it's called FEB CLEAN now it's worth a try.
ps/ follow the ACID and WATER ratios on the container,sometimes it
looks like nothing
is happening give it time.Twenty to Thirty mins normally,if there is no
sign of progress
then up the dose not before.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:53:19 -0500, crabshell
wrote:

I have a brick entry that's buried under 2 layers of sheet vinyl. The
sheet vinyl peals up very easily -- it was probably adhesive backed. But
it leaves its backing paper and glue behind on the brick. The brick is
some kind of non-porous type that has some kind of glaze or sealer. Am I
going to damage the surface if I use a manual scrapper? What's the
alternative, heat gun and/or goof-off?

If it is partly paper, I would try a scrubbrush wet with water and
maybe soap.

Let the paper soak up the water for 10 minutes. I am pretty sure
boar bristle brush will do less damage than nylon. Use a stiff
bristle brush if softer doesn't work.

I wouldn't start with something as strong as goof-off. Isn't that
specifically for latex paint, which has nothing to do with this? What
about WD-40 if water doesn't work. That won't damage anything, but it
may make some glues dissolve. Later you can wash up with soap and
water.

I would try as many as a lot of things on little areas until I found
one that worked well. Do you have a hall closet with the same floor?
I would do all this testing in the closet.

If I used any scraper, I'd use a plastic one. They sell plastic putty
knives and mud/spackle spreaders of various widths.

Another thought is to not take off all the bad stuff, except for what
comes up easily. Walk on it for a few months and vacuum periodically,
and it will come off by itself. What hasn't come up when you lose
patience will be far easier to get off. I don't think you can grind
it in any more than it is now, since it's been walked on for years.

You have your whole life to damage this floor. Lets start with the
most gentle methods.