Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Junk posting . . .

I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big surge
in junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of pornography.
I don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's a pity to see such a
useful newsgroup being polluted.

-- Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article TvLLj.7$mG1.5@trndny08,
"Ray" wrote:

I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big surge
in junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of pornography.
I don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's a pity to see such a
useful newsgroup being polluted.

-- Ray

Something *could* be done about it, by you. Since you claim to be a
member of the group, you could start by reading some of the posts. The
spam topic has been beaten to death in the last month or so. Here's a
recap:

Step 1: Killfile all googlegroups posts.

Step 2: Enjoy the instantaneous, magical absence of all things spam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote

I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big surge
in junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of
pornography. I don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's a pity
to see such a useful newsgroup being polluted.

I know. I now delete automatically all mail from @gmail and it helps
tremedously. Sure there are a few valid posters caught in that, but I had
an immediate 75% or so drop in spam. Most runs show a 1/3 of the posts are
from @gmail.

I still get the stupid stuff I havent figured out how to remove yet with my
client (OE) but it's now bearable. One day I will upgrade clients but for
now, I can work with this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

Indeed, alt.home repair has become dysfunctional. It is populated by persons
with a home, with financial resources. Therefore, it has become an
attractive target for every spammer on the globe.

Obviously, the internet and the newsgroups were set up very poorly.
Otherwise this kind of spamming would not be tolerated.

I have resorted to meeting my needs at
http://censorshipandtyrannyisgreat.net. It is moderated and has no spam.
Registration is free.

Then why are you still here with all of us tolerant losers, Walter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Ray" wrote

I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big surge
in junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of
pornography. I don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's a pity
to see such a useful newsgroup being polluted.

I know. I now delete automatically all mail from @gmail and it helps
tremedously. Sure there are a few valid posters caught in that, but I had
an immediate 75% or so drop in spam. Most runs show a 1/3 of the posts are
from @gmail.

I still get the stupid stuff I havent figured out how to remove yet with my
client (OE) but it's now bearable. One day I will upgrade clients but for
now, I can work with this.

Sheesh. Don't filter gmail. That has nothing to do with usenet. Filter
googlegroups instead. The fact that many googlegroups users also have
gmail accounts has led you astray in your logic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote

I still get the stupid stuff I havent figured out how to remove yet with
my
client (OE) but it's now bearable. One day I will upgrade clients but
for
now, I can work with this.

Sheesh. Don't filter gmail. That has nothing to do with usenet. Filter
googlegroups instead. The fact that many googlegroups users also have
gmail accounts has led you astray in your logic.

You cant filter googlegroups with OE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

I still get the stupid stuff I havent figured out how to remove yet with
my
client (OE) but it's now bearable. One day I will upgrade clients but
for
now, I can work with this.

Sheesh. Don't filter gmail. That has nothing to do with usenet. Filter
googlegroups instead. The fact that many googlegroups users also have
gmail accounts has led you astray in your logic.

You cant filter googlegroups with OE.

That's like saying you can't unclog your toilet with a lawnmower. So why
not get the right tool for the job? This is ahr, after all -- isn't that
what we're always advocating?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

I still get the stupid stuff I havent figured out how to remove
yet with my
client (OE) but it's now bearable. One day I will upgrade clients
but for
now, I can work with this.

Sheesh. Don't filter gmail. That has nothing to do with usenet.
Filter googlegroups instead. The fact that many googlegroups users
also have gmail accounts has led you astray in your logic.

You cant filter googlegroups with OE.

That's like saying you can't unclog your toilet with a lawnmower. So
why not get the right tool for the job? This is ahr, after all --
isn't that what we're always advocating?

Filtering @gmail.com is a very reasonable solution if you don't care about
minimal collateral damage (which I don't since it cuts my spam by 80-90%) OE
can be configured to ignore legitimate gmail users by adding specific rule
exceptions. And gmail users can munge their address so that the @gmail.com
filter overlooks them. It may be a less than elegant solution, and most
@gmail.com spam DOES originate from google-groups, but I like OE (especially
with OE Quote-Fix), I don't have to install a proxy and learn a whole new
geek shorthand to configure it.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big surge
in junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of pornography.
I don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's a pity to see such a
useful newsgroup being polluted.

Go to Tools Message Rules News and create a new rule that deletes any
messages from .jp, .cn, gmail.com, yahoo.com, and hotmail.com. I don't know if
you see a lot of replica watch ads but I used to so I added watch and replica to
the from rules as well. Note that these are all addresses, not subjects.

I seldom see any crap these days... at least from spammers.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big
surge in junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of
pornography. I don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's
a pity to see such a useful newsgroup being polluted.

Pornography?

Damn. Now I'll have to check every one...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:52:41 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Ray wrote:
I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big
surge in junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of
pornography. I don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's
a pity to see such a useful newsgroup being polluted.

Pornography?

Damn. Now I'll have to check every one...

Youporn.com

I saw this link on Fox news twice.
They must have interest in the company.
Wiki even has an article.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Smitty Two" wrote

I still get the stupid stuff I havent figured out how to remove yet with
my
client (OE) but it's now bearable. One day I will upgrade clients but
for
now, I can work with this.

Sheesh. Don't filter gmail. That has nothing to do with usenet. Filter
googlegroups instead. The fact that many googlegroups users also have
gmail accounts has led you astray in your logic.

You cant filter googlegroups with OE.

OE can be linked to a proxy newsreader such as NewsProxy (a free download).
Set NewsProxy to your newsreader and put this line in the filter file: *
drop Message-ID:*googlegroups*

Set OE to connect to "localhost" and you should be good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
Is this what the OE filter should look like?

Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the message is on alt.home.repair newsgroup

and Where the From line contains '.jpn, .cn, gmail.com, yahoo.com,
hotmail.com' or 'googlemail.com'

and Where the message is from the news-server.san.rr.com account

Delete it

This setup does not seem to filter messages from gmail.com.

What am I doing wrong?

Here's my rule:
Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the From line contains 'jewelry' or 'watch' or 'replica' or 'gmail.com' or
'yahoo.com' or 'hotmail.com' or '.jp' or '.cn'

Delete it

You've got the extra line: "and Where the message is from the
news-server.san.rr.com account". Why do you need that? It's unnecessary as far
as I can see and adds an additional condition which MUST be met in order to
filter. My rule nukes most of the obvious sources of spam.

To further clean house, you'll need to add NewsProxy to Outlook Express so you
can nuke crossposted messages. That's where I really reduced the masses of spam
to a trickle. The above rule got what squeaked by that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Filtering @gmail.com is a very reasonable solution if you don't care about
minimal collateral damage (which I don't since it cuts my spam by 80-90%) OE
can be configured to ignore legitimate gmail users by adding specific rule
exceptions. And gmail users can munge their address so that the @gmail.com
filter overlooks them. It may be a less than elegant solution, and most
@gmail.com spam DOES originate from google-groups, but I like OE (especially
with OE Quote-Fix), I don't have to install a proxy and learn a whole new geek
shorthand to configure it.

Why do you need quote-fix if you don't get messages from google-groups? They
seem to be the only problem I have with quotes working correctly.

Oh well - you probably won't see this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
news
Ray wrote:
I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big surge
in junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of pornography.
I don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's a pity to see such a
useful newsgroup being polluted.

Go to Tools Message Rules News and create a new rule that deletes any
messages from .jp, .cn, gmail.com, yahoo.com, and hotmail.com. I don't know
if you see a lot of replica watch ads but I used to so I added watch and
replica to the from rules as well. Note that these are all addresses, not
subjects.

I seldom see any crap these days... at least from spammers.

And you don't see the posts of many participants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big surge in
junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of pornography. I
don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's a pity to see such a
useful newsgroup being polluted.

-- Ray

The ability of being able to do incredible things on computers does not seem
to apply to ISPs filtering out crap from known spam sites, or even stop it
when it is reported to abuse@wedontgivea**** . I rely on brain cells and the
up and down arrows and the ignore button.

Unfortunately, spam on usenet is pretty low priority for ISPs. Many don't even
provide usenet anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

www.rationality.net
-
Ray wrote:
I suppose I'm only adding to the problem by noting that there's a big
surge
in junk spam being posted on this newsgroup, including a lot of
pornography.
I don't suppose anything can be done about it, but it's a pity to see
such a
useful newsgroup being polluted.

Go to Tools Message Rules News and create a new rule that deletes any
messages from .jp, .cn, gmail.com, yahoo.com, and hotmail.com. I don't
know if you see a lot of replica watch ads but I used to so I added watch
and replica to the from rules as well. Note that these are all
addresses, not subjects.

I seldom see any crap these days... at least from spammers.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

I just did my OE with one filter using all the combinations above, and then
did individual filters on each. Then returned to the newsgroup to find most
gone, except googlemail.com, which I then added.

Tools
Message Rules
News
New
check "Where from line includes people" box
check "Delete it" box
hit the highlighted "contains people"
type gmail.com (or whatever, but just the last that identifies the domain)
Add
OK

Steve

Other mans junk is another... George UK diy 50 September 21st 07 03:52 AM
Junk faxes Cliff Metalworking 0 November 24th 05 12:08 AM
Was Ryobi always junk? firstjois Woodworking 40 September 7th 05 10:25 PM
JVC CA-XHZ30 Junk ? TA7205 Electronics Repair 5 October 22nd 04 11:50 AM
Jet...Junk? Oregon Woodworking 49 March 9th 04 10:26 PM