firstjois

jtpr wrote:
I don't think they are junk. I'm on my second cordless drill and
never had a problem. The batteries on the first one wore out (after
a long time) and that was the only reason I got another.

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

I have a Ryobi scroll saw. I started out with a Sears brand and took it
back the next day - don't even remember what was wrong with it, just not
workable, I guess. I exchanged it for this Ryobi and there is no way of
matching the hold down prongs to the blade (think cross-eyed) but I needed
the use of one and went ahead and used and kept it. It means I have to
keep my eyes a bit beyond the blade and I don't think that is a bad thing.
But still, when I'm rich this is going to be the first thing to go. Never
bought another Ryobi or Sears thing.

Josie

toller

Default Was Ryobi always junk?

Hey, I have several Ryobi tools and they are a good value, but they are
pretty feeble.

I have seen an old 15a variable speed router at an estate sale, and wonder
if they used to make better tool, or if they have always been junk.

I am using a Bosch 1617evs with broken switch in my router table. It works
fine, but occassionally I wish I had more power. I don't need another
router, as I have two more 1617 without broken switchs, so if the Ryobi is
no good I sure don't need it in my table, regardless of price.
Whatcha think?

jtpr

I don't think they are junk. I'm on my second cordless drill and never had
a problem. The batteries on the first one wore out (after a long time) and
that was the only reason I got another.

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its -- ryan at jimryan dot com
Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam
"toller" wrote in message
Hey, I have several Ryobi tools and they are a good value, but they are
pretty feeble.

I have seen an old 15a variable speed router at an estate sale, and wonder
if they used to make better tool, or if they have always been junk.

I am using a Bosch 1617evs with broken switch in my router table. It

works
fine, but occassionally I wish I had more power. I don't need another
router, as I have two more 1617 without broken switchs, so if the Ryobi is
no good I sure don't need it in my table, regardless of price.
Whatcha think?

Doug Miller

In article , "toller" wrote:

Was Ryobi always junk? Judging by an admittedly small sample (the Ryobi weed
trimmer I bought about fifteen years ago), I'd have to say yes.

--
Regards,

RonB

No, but they aren't getting any better.

I have one of the older Ryobi surface planer (12-5/16"). In fact, I believe
this is one of the first on the market. Even after several years it is a
great machine, solid and still works great. Problem is Ryobi has quit
providing knives directly to customers and the aftermarket prices are 2-3
times original price (thankfully Delta's fit it too). Some of their older
sanders just keep going too.

I has recently helping my daughter shop for routers for a gift to her
husband. You could depth-lock a Ryobi and yet move the body in the mount
with moderate hand pressure. Talk about built-in frustration.

A new hand grinder I bought a year or so ago lasted one day.

SwampBug

The certainly are, I got their oscillating spindle sander from HD. It =
sat unopened in my shop for maybe 6 months before I even opened the =
box(caught it on sale). When I finally fired it up it ran maybe 5 =
minutes before making the loudest screeching noise, like a dry bearing, =
before I shut it down. It will now run a few seconds before repeating =
the noise. No place to oil it and it claims no serviceable parts. Am I =
suppose to throw it away. I will not be buying more ryobi stuff. I do =
have a corded drill, with clutched chuck, that still works great tho.

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"RonB" wrote in message =
No, but they aren't getting any better.

I have one of the older Ryobi surface planer (12-5/16"). In fact, I =
believe=20
this is one of the first on the market. Even after several years it is =
a=20
great machine, solid and still works great. Problem is Ryobi has quit=20
providing knives directly to customers and the aftermarket prices are =
2-3=20
times original price (thankfully Delta's fit it too). Some of their =
older=20
sanders just keep going too.

I has recently helping my daughter shop for routers for a gift to her=20
husband. You could depth-lock a Ryobi and yet move the body in the =
mount=20
with moderate hand pressure. Talk about built-in frustration.

A new hand grinder I bought a year or so ago lasted one day.

Phisherman

I have a Ryobi belt sander that just keeps going. I like the flat
top, as small pieces of wood can be sanded by turning the sander
upside down. Everything about it has operated as it did when it was
new, 15 years ago. OTOH, I had a Ryobi cordless drill that died
suddenly. Today, there are better brand choices than Ryobi.

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:04:44 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Hey, I have several Ryobi tools and they are a good value, but they are
pretty feeble.

I have seen an old 15a variable speed router at an estate sale, and wonder
if they used to make better tool, or if they have always been junk.

I am using a Bosch 1617evs with broken switch in my router table. It works
fine, but occassionally I wish I had more power. I don't need another
router, as I have two more 1617 without broken switchs, so if the Ryobi is
no good I sure don't need it in my table, regardless of price.
Whatcha think?

patrick mitchel

I have a 1/6 sheet pad ro sander that still doing the infrequent job. model
s500a (made in japan) must be before they sold the name. gotta serial that
has an 86 innit- might well be from '86 Pat

Edwin Pawlowski

"toller" wrote in message
Hey, I have several Ryobi tools and they are a good value, but they are
pretty feeble.

Mediocre stuff for the occasional user. Not what a pro or serious hobby
user wants. I h ave a cordless drill and the batteries are shot, the switch
was already replaced.

so if the Ryobi is
no good I sure don't need it in my table, regardless of price.
Whatcha think?

I'd go with a large PC, Milwaukee, etc.

Leon

"RonB" wrote in message
No, but they aren't getting any better.

I have one of the older Ryobi surface planer (12-5/16"). In fact, I
believe this is one of the first on the market. Even after several years
it is a great machine, solid and still works great. Problem is Ryobi has
quit providing knives directly to customers and the aftermarket prices are
2-3 times original price (thankfully Delta's fit it too). Some of their
older sanders just keep going too.

Actually I have the original 10" Ryobi portable planer, the AP-10, I
bought it in 1988 and as you have witnessed mine also works great.

Steven P

Not sure about always. I bought a 14.4v screwgun about 4 years ago. I only
recently lost the use of one battery pack. The other still seems good. I
had occasion to open up the tool (I caught the speed switch between gears
and didn't realize it.), and found out that it had all metal gears. In
addition, it carries a 1/2 inch Jacobs chuck. Most 14.4's I have seen have
3/8ths. I will probably rebuild my batteries as I believe that it will cost
me over $100.00 to replace it and get equivalent quality.

I know that people talk highly of the AP-10 planer which I believe is
"old"er. Depending on how far back that router you found goes, it might be
a good bet.

Steve P.

"toller" wrote in message
Hey, I have several Ryobi tools and they are a good value, but they are
pretty feeble.

I have seen an old 15a variable speed router at an estate sale, and wonder
if they used to make better tool, or if they have always been junk.

I am using a Bosch 1617evs with broken switch in my router table. It

works
fine, but occassionally I wish I had more power. I don't need another
router, as I have two more 1617 without broken switchs, so if the Ryobi is
no good I sure don't need it in my table, regardless of price.
Whatcha think?

Guess who

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 03:31:56 -0500, "firstjois"
wrote:

jtpr wrote:
I don't think they are junk. I'm on my second cordless drill and
never had a problem. The batteries on the first one wore out (after
a long time) and that was the only reason I got another.

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

I have a Ryobi scroll saw. I started out with a Sears brand and took it
back the next day - don't even remember what was wrong with it, just not
workable, I guess. I exchanged it for this Ryobi

Sears sells [or did] Ryobi under their brand name. Same product,
different sticker.

Mapdude

I got the same sander. I have worn out most of the sanding sleeves that
came with it. Never a problem.

My 14.4 v screwdriver / drill is my 1st choice for most needs of a
driver. Been going strong for over 4 years.

Ryobi makes good quality stuff for excellent price for the hobbyist.

SwampBug wrote:
[...]

ryobi made one good router. sounds like you were looking at it.

SwampBug

Thanks, I just discovered it may still be under warrenty if I can fine =
something to prove when I bought it. I was certain my case was not the =
norm. I am happy to hear of your success.

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Mapdude" wrote in message =
I got the same sander. I have worn out most of the sanding sleeves that =

came with it. Never a problem.

My 14.4 v screwdriver / drill is my 1st choice for most needs of a=20

SwampBug wrote:
The certainly are, I got their oscillating spindle sander from HD. It =

sat unopened in my shop for maybe 6 months before I even opened the =
box(caught it on sale). When I finally fired it up it ran maybe 5 =
minutes before making the loudest screeching noise, like a dry bearing, =
before I shut it down. It will now run a few seconds before repeating =
the noise. No place to oil it and it claims no serviceable parts. Am I =
suppose to throw it away. I will not be buying more ryobi stuff. I do =
have a corded drill, with clutched chuck, that still works great tho.

A Womack

"toller" wrote in
:

Hey, I have several Ryobi tools and they are a good value, but they
are pretty feeble.

A local tool repair center says their old industrial line were great
tools. A year or more ago I came across one of their small resaw
bandsaws, the BS50N.

Photos and specs he

http://alan.firebin.net/bs50n.html

Yesterday I replaced the top wheel bearing for about $18.00 including
the labor at the bearing shop. Haven't figured out how to pull the
bottom wheel off yet. The universal motor is VERY loud however.

Alan
Norman D. Crow

news
wrote:

jtpr wrote:
I don't think they are junk. I'm on my second cordless drill and
never had a problem. The batteries on the first one wore out (after
a long time) and that was the only reason I got another.

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

I have a Ryobi scroll saw. I started out with a Sears brand and took it
back the next day - don't even remember what was wrong with it, just not
workable, I guess. I exchanged it for this Ryobi

Sears sells [or did] Ryobi under their brand name. Same product,
different sticker.

Yup! I have the Crapsman ROS, and it's a dead ringer for the Ryobi. Has done
well, except the screw holding the pad assy. on the drive shaft has loosened
up a couple times. Next time I'll put some Thread-Lock on it. I also have
the Ryobi "Detail Sander". It's definitely not a Fein(sp?), but for what I
have done with it, proves acceptable.

--
Nahmie

Old Nick

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:04:44 GMT, "toller" vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Hey, I have several Ryobi tools and they are a good value, but they are
pretty feeble.

I have seen an old 15a variable speed router at an estate sale, and wonder
if they used to make better tool, or if they have always been junk.

I am using a Bosch 1617evs with broken switch in my router table. It works
fine, but occassionally I wish I had more power. I don't need another
router, as I have two more 1617 without broken switchs, so if the Ryobi is
no good I sure don't need it in my table, regardless of price.
Whatcha think?

Ryobi sells power. But they are as you say, pretty tinny. I have a 9"
circ saw that is powerful and tinny. I have a I had a weed whacker
that was powerful and the fuel lines fell to pieces, the carb went, it
was a bitch to start, the fuel tank cracked. And this thing was _not_
left in the sun.
Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And
then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most
of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a
headache.........
D. J. Dorn

I don't think is the general rule. I have a friend who bought a Ryobi 10"
CMS years ago and built his two story 3000 Square foot house and used 2x6
studs and every one had to be cut to length. He proceeded to build a three
car garage and large workshed for himself, a two car garage for me and
another for someone else. Last time I was there, that saw was just
beginning to lose its break but still cut square and like a champ.

Don

"Old Nick" wrote in message
[...]

David G. Sizemore

According to the guys at Sears Hardware, Crapsman power tools are
actually Ryobi incognito - so that should tell ya somethin'...

When I worked at Sears hardware about 15 years ago, there were several
"manufacturers" of Craftsman power tools. Ryobi/B&D/Skil,
etc....Y'know, the same stuff they sell under their own name, and is
great for Joe 6Pack who gets 'em to build a shed for the kid's bikes.
They started IIRC around that time with the "Professional" line -
Milwaukee/DeWalt/Makita, if memory serves. Perfect for the "guy who
can build anything, he just doesn't do it for a living"

Just to get it in print(I haven't seen it lately)

The hand tools have the lifetime warranty
power tools normally carry(ied) a 1 year warranty(but you could buy
the "extended warranty"--purely profit most of the time). Pros were
not eligible for either one(Commercial use, and all that) My buddy
Mike came up with the SEARS acronym:

SEARS: Serious
Errors
Associated with
Retail
Services

I prefer Milwaukee & Porter Cable mahself...

You say that like someone(who has the money, need, tool knowledge)
doesn't
Steve Mellenthin

[...]

I have a Ryobi BT3100 Sliding Miter Table Saw and am quite please with its
accruacy and versatility. Ryobi tends to provide cheaper tools but their
upscale ones ae fine.

Nice thing about it and Sears is that you can always get parts for both from
Sears. I have kept some tools (drils, routers, compressors) runing for 25
years or more that way. Some of the innovations on Sears tools are great
though some aren't I really miss the micro adjustment I had on my 1/4" sears
router I bought in 1975. Neither my Freud or DeWalt have that.

I also have a 1953 model Shopsmith that still works like a champ thanks to the
company still having parts available for that model.

I have just purhased a top of the line Hitachi 18v Drill-Driver and Hitachi
Circular Saw for my latest project an 30' x 34' x 16' shed. Better price than
anyone else for both features and capability. My Skil saw and Black and Decker
Pro series driver busted on me and parts are not available for either.

Steve

Nigel Hanson

"Steve Mellenthin" wrote in message
[...]

I have a Ryobi BT3000 Sliding Miter Table Saw, the model before yours. I
broke the "quick stop" while cutting sheets of plywood and I can't get the
part through Ryobi. I tried Sears, but it's not available there either.
Its a great saw, excellent condition, rarely used. Now I have to replace
the whole saw because a $1.00 part is no longer available.

You know what, I think its the same part as on the BT3100! Hope you don't
break yours.

Nigel.

Steve Mellenthin

I have a Ryobi BT3000 Sliding Miter Table Saw, the model before yours. I
broke the "quick stop" while cutting sheets of plywood and I can't get the
part through Ryobi. I tried Sears, but it's not available there either.
Its a great saw, excellent condition, rarely used. Now I have to replace
the whole saw because a $1.00 part is no longer available.

You know what, I think its the same part as on the BT3100! Hope you don't
break yours.

Nigel.

I'm not sure what you mean by quickstop. Are you talking about the stop to set
the miter gage to 90 degrees or something else?

Have you tried BT3Central.com? There are lots of guys there who can help with
parts and repairs or maybe even buy your unit for salvage if it comnes to that.
There are also a lot of items for sale on Ebay.

Regards,

Steve

David G. Sizemore

This was when Emerson was getting away from the benchtop stuff, don't
remember who was building that.
Mapdude

Sear had a jig saw that was identical to my Bosch that I bought a couple
of years ago before they put out their latest top handle model. I
compared them side by side, and I could tell no difference.

When I worked at Sears hardware about 15 years ago, there were several
"manufacturers" of Craftsman power tools. Ryobi/B&D/Skil,
etc....Y'know, the same stuff they sell under their own name, and is

Nigel Hanson

[...]

Yes, that's the part I mean. Its really just a washer with a tab and it
flips up to stop the miter gauge at 90 degrees.

I placed an order through the Canada parts distributor and was told the part
was on back order expected Sept 26 delivery at a price of $26 (Canadian).
Still don't have the part. Contacted Sears - they sell the part for $1 but
no longer stock it and say it's no longer available. Contacted Ryobi
directly, and they tried to sell me a whole sliding table.

I'll try BT3Central.com next. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Sandman

In article ,
DamnYankee wrote:

toller wrote:

Hey, I have several Ryobi tools and they are a good value, but they are
pretty feeble.

I have seen an old 15a variable speed router at an estate sale, and wonder
if they used to make better tool, or if they have always been junk.

I am using a Bosch 1617evs with broken switch in my router table. It works
fine, but occassionally I wish I had more power. I don't need another
router, as I have two more 1617 without broken switchs, so if the Ryobi is
no good I sure don't need it in my table, regardless of price.
Whatcha think?

According to the guys at Sears Hardware, Crapsman power tools are
actually Ryobi incognito - so that should tell ya somethin'...

I prefer Milwaukee & Porter Cable mahself...

Royobi Corp has bought Milwaukee. I shudder at the future.

Rob
Richard Clements

Sandman wrote:

In article ,
DamnYankee wrote:

toller wrote:

[...]

I love my Royobi ROS but it's the only Royobi I own, it preforms every bit
as good as my friends Dewalt, I've used it fairly heavily for 2-3 years
and at $20 (it was a refurb) how may years would the Dewalt have to last to
make up the price diff?

Chuck

I have the Ryobi BT3100 table saw and I am crazy about it. It is the
most accurate and customizable table saw I've ever used, and I've
never had any problems with it. I also have the Ryobi 3 Base router
kit from HD which I have been pleased with, especially for the price-
$129.

I'm also especially impressed with Ryobi because they have gotten out
of the industry practice of price gouging on replacement batteries.
Their new line of 18v tools all use the same battery, and replacements
are available for $39 for TWO new batteries. I believe they have also
pledged to keep the same battery format for any new 18v tool they
bring out.

Ryobi tools are certainly not built for professional use. They are
good tools at a great value for weekend woodworkers, however.

Disclosure- I am not affiliated in any way with Ryobi.

"Old Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Eugene

of the industry practice of price gouging on replacement batteries.
Their new line of 18v tools all use the same battery, and replacements
are available for $39 for TWO new batteries. I believe they have also
pledged to keep the same battery format for any new 18v tool they
bring out.

So Ryobi doing what everyone else has been doing for 10 years is somehow
new?
Any decent brand has standardized on battery connector for the same voltage
across all their tools. My 9 year old Makita drill battery will plug in
the same drill I bought my father last year as will it plug into my father
in laws makita drill he has had for longer than I. All the other tools I
have bought use the same ones as well. This is one example, the other
brands do the same. The only brands that haven't done this up until now
have been ryobi and sears and the other toy tools.

Eugene

Chuck wrote:

Show me another tool company that will sell you TWO 18v batteries for
anywhere near $39.

I wasn't disputing the price, I was asking how a feature that other
companies have had for many years could be considered a new idea.
But since you mention it comparing batteries just can't compare the voltage.
an AAA and a D cell are both 1.5V but the D will last longer than the AAA
with a load. What is the mA/H rating of those Ryobi batteries, what is the
MTBF of those batteries?

elbow

I just now accidentally found this topic while "googling"and although
the forum happened months ago, I have to add my comments. I have a
Ryobi AP-10 planer that I bought when they first hit the market years
ago. I have run literally thousands of feet of rough cut lumber as
well as dimensioned, through it....no that's NOTan
exaggeration.....and have never replaced a single part. It's been
used and abused. I have rarely even sharpened the blades and most of
the time they needed it. But due to my laziness, I just wanted to get
the boards planed. This of course, adds to the strain on the planer,
but it just keeps on "hogging" it's way through. It has been
probably the most reliable tool in my shop. In recent times I find
myself "drooling" on the new wider planers. That is until I look at
the quality, price tags and disposable blades. I wish it was wider
than ten inches, but it's not. But I have never been sorry that I
bought it.

At the same time I bought a Ryobi orbital jig saw. Although it hasn't
seen nearly as much use, I can say the same for it.

No. In my opinion, no, they haven't always been junk.

RonB

I can parrot your success wiht the Ryobi planer. I have owned one of the
old 12-5/16" planers for years and it just keeps on going. The machine
continues to do good work and sounds just as robust now as it ever has. I
also have a 6-8 year old Ryobi 2 cycle lawn trimmer that is providing good
service.

Can't say the same about some of their newer equipment. Also, they have a
habit of leaving their customers high and dry with regard to parts. When I
bought my planer the replacement blades were about $19 a pair. The only
source now is aftermarket at $60-$60 a pair. Fortunately, a Delta blade
fits the machine and only costs about $25 a pair.

I am afraid I am coming up with the same situation with the string trimmer.
The bump knob is about worn throught and the local dealers say I might have
to replace the entire head. The knob isn't available.

RonB

m...