Oregon

Default Jet...Junk?

A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?
O.

Bay Area Dave

you need to let go of your prejudices and buy something on it's merits.
I've got a Powermatic BS that is fantastic. Guess where it is made.
If you are dying and the emergency room doctor happens to be a
foreigner, will you tell him to sit this one out while you bleed to
death? Use your head!

and don't bitch to me; you ASKED for thoughts

dave

Oregon wrote:

A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?
O.

Leon

Are you normally this naive or just new to all of this. Jet has always been
an import. And you might be surprised how little Delta and Craftsman builds
in the US. Face it, if you think American built dictates quality, that
might be the answer to why American car builders got away for so long
building crap and why it was so easy for the imports to come in and
dominate.

"Oregon" wrote in message
igy.com...
A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in

Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I

researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?
O.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Oregon" wrote in message

A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product.

Your thoughts on the matter?

My thoughts? Want an honest answer or one that will make you feel good?
Anyone that thinks you can't get quality from overseas has their head up
their butt.

FWIW, if it was still 1954, I might agree with you.
Ed

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Bay Area Dave wrote:
you need to let go of your prejudices and buy something on it's merits.
I've got a Powermatic BS that is fantastic. Guess where it is made.
If you are dying and the emergency room doctor happens to be a
foreigner, will you tell him to sit this one out while you bleed to
death? Use your head!

I remember a patient who didn't want a particular doctor because he was of
Indian extraction... no matter that he'd lived in this country since he was four
years old. Turns out the patient was a garbageman. His mama must be proud of
*him*.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Yitah Wu

I work for one of the big two (was big three) so I understand the "Buy
American" thing.

Unfortunately, everybody's moving overseas and you really have to look hard
to find something made in the US. I bought a Delta Planer and Drill press,
and after unpacking it, found that the DP is made in China and the planer is
made in Taiwan. China is still suspect in my book, but my experience is
that stuff out of Taiwan is consistently good quality. Separately, I bought
a Fuji bicycle, since it's a old, old brand out of Japan. Suprise, it's
made in Taiwan too.

BTW, as an engineer, Imperial units (inches) really suck, and MY bp goes up
every time I have to convert from slugs or pounds to kilograms and
newtons.....

I work for one of the big two (was big three) but it's no
"Oregon" wrote in message
igy.com...
A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in

Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I

researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?
O.

LRod

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:40:01 GMT, "Oregon" wrote:

A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?

I'd be more impressed with your jingoism if you did do the research
before you bought each and every one of those tools.* The fact that
you don't know just means you're a sunshine patriot (not intending to
insult any real patriots) who only swings at the oriental (or
wherever) straw man when it's convenient and showy.

If you REALLY had this "buy American thing happening" you'd have been
doing it consistently all along, and wouldn't have any suspect tools
in the first place.

* Actually, no I wouldn't.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Lawrence R Horgan

I read all these posts and I can only speak for myself. Like you, I'll
usually pay a few more dollars for something "made in the USA". Despite what
the others have said, the quality is almost always at least slightly better.
That doesn't mean there isn;t junk being built right here in our backyard.

JET has a nearly outstanding reputation. I don;t own their tools, but I've
used them. And, like someone said earlier, even Delta machinery is made
mostly overseas.... in Taiwan. So, don;t hold off from buying a Jet tool
just because it's made foreign. But if you're like me and all tools being
equal, I'll buy USA as often as possible.

Larry

--
Americans

"Oregon" wrote in message
igy.com...
A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in

Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I

researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?
O.

DexAZ

Default Jet...Junk? (long & rambling)

Like it or not, we ARE in a global economy these days. A cellular phone
product I service _was_ made in Ft. Worth, then Brazil and now is made in
China...of course. Products are built where they can be built most
profitably. These days, that means somewhere with little or no problems
with unions, noise buffer zones, industrial waste laws and of course no real
minimum wages. What we consider "slave wages" per hour here, are more than
some folks earn per day or week in other parts of the world. I'm not saying
it's right, I'm just saying this is the way things are. Just because an
item is built outside the US does not mean, necessarily, that it is not
built well or built right. Most of our TVs are made somewhere in the
orient. RCA & AMPEX used to built broadcast color TV cameras and video tape
machines here. But Sony, JVC, Panasonic and Ikagami built the same items
with newer features, smaller and less expensively. Would you still be
holding out for an American RCA or Zenith color set? RCA is built off shore
and owned by a French firm, Thompson, if I remember correctly. Not sure
Zenith even exists. And you can get a darned good color set at Wally World
for $129 from some firm I can't even pronounce. I know the folks who used
to built RCA, Zenith, Motorola/Quasar etc. here are out of work. Not
because they built a poor product but more likely because Sony, Panasonic
etc. were able to build a better product & change with the moods of the US
market (you and me) faster as well as build with cheaper labor. We want new
bells and whistles all the time. American manufacturers are not as willing
to put those bells and whistles on their products. Motorola's StarTac
phones for example. They were small, tough and they did the job. They did
not, however, offer ringtones, games or video cameras. Moto almost lost all
their share of the handset market before they brought out their new line
with those features. The second and third world seems quite capable of
building our entertainment systems, cars, trucks, motorcycles, cell phone
system infrastructure & the handsets, PDAs, hard drives, clothing etc. etc.
And doing a first class job of it. If not, why do _we_ buy the stuff? If
America could build a better mouse trap at a competitive price, why don't
we? Because we choose to have clean air and water. Because we like to live
in America as it is not as it was. Look up some photos of America's
industrial centers, rail centers and ports during WWII. Do you want to live
with _that_ in our water and air? An old neighbor of mine had his entire
breathing system screwed up. Spend all his life as a fireman and engineer
on coal and early oil fired railroad locomotives. No anti-pollution system
on those bad boys. His lungs did that job for many years. Until they began
to fail. I like the clean air we enjoy today. I do not want to spend my
last few years lugging around an Oxygen bottle. I would also like to thank
those from my fathers generation who made the sacrifices, in Europe & the
South Pacific as well as in our mines, foundries, factories, mills,
rail/dock/shipyards required to assure the freedom I enjoy today.

I know a couple guys with a boatload of JET products. I'm sure they would
rather have spend their $$ on something made in the USA but could not find a
competitive American made product for the same price. So they bought JET.
So far, they have been very happy with JET and these guys would really bitch
like hell if they thought their investment went for "junk".

As I stated earlier, we live in a global economy...like it or not. We will
need to adapt and learn to life with that fact. We tried to isolate
ourselves from the world before WWII. Turns out that may not have been such
a good idea.

If the JET looks like it will do the job for you and is the best product you
can find for your $$, then buy it! There are many Americans involved in
bring it to your door. If you insist on American made...check out
Shopsmith. I have one and it does a great job. There were a number of SS
clones built here and off-shore, some time back. Most of those firms died
off so sometimes a good old American firm CAN compete and win. But then you
really don't want a Shopsmith, even though it is built in Dayton, OH, do
you?

Time for a chill pill

DexAZ

"Oregon" wrote in message
igy.com...
A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in

Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I

researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?
O.

Bay Area Dave

I've resisted all attempts to pry my StarTac mobile phone from my grasp!
I love the sound quality and won't trade it in for a color screen, or
the chance to listen to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor on a dinky little
phone of the moment with keys so small I can't even SEE them, much less
PRESS them! My wife had hopes of getting a replacement for her StarTac
at Christmas but I quelled her enthusiasm for switching by having her
listen to the awful sound quality of the newer phones.

dave

DexAZ wrote:

[...]

"Oregon" wrote in message
igy.com...

A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in

Taiwan"

doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I

researched

the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?
O.

Larry C in Auburn, WA

Yeah, what he said. I have friends around the world. I have no reason to
deny them a job just because their momma didn't spit them out on American
soil. I want the best value for the price I'm willing to pay. I have lots
of JETS tools and continue to buy them. Obviously I find their value
including quality to be worth the price I'm willing to pay.

--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"DexAZ" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

"Oregon" wrote in message
igy.com...
A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench.

So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in

Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I

researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?
O.

Charlie Self

Mortimer Schnerd writes:

I remember a patient who didn't want a particular doctor because he was of
Indian extraction... no matter that he'd lived in this country since he was
four
years old. Turns out the patient was a garbageman. His mama must be proud
of
*him*.

Reminds me of the college professor in NYC who sneered at the garbage men's
strike back in the '60s. I asked him how much of a problem it would create if
all the teachers in the city struck for 6 weeks. There isn't a damned thing
wrong with being a garbage man. What's wrong with your guy is not his job.

Charlie Self
"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in
America." William J. Clinton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Doug Miller

In article . com, "Oregon" wrote:
A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?

"Made in Taiwan" is a lot better than "Made in China". At least the capitalist
economy in Taiwan provides a better incentive for quality than does China's
communist system.

Most of my power tools were made in Taiwan. I have a JET table saw and
benchtop mortiser, and don't see any quality problems with either one. I
wouldn't hesitate to buy JET, or other Taiwan-made tools, again.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Charlie Self wrote:

Reminds me of the college professor in NYC who sneered at the garbage men's
strike back in the '60s. I asked him how much of a problem it would create if
all the teachers in the city struck for 6 weeks. There isn't a damned thing
wrong with being a garbage man. What's wrong with your guy is not his job.

A fellow who wipes asses for a living doesn't think poorly of garbagemen's
contributions to society in general. OTOH, this fellow had no business looking
down his nose at the doctor because he was a little darker than others. The doc
was raised and educated in Ohio. It was the blatant racism that offended me.
The patient was openly abusive of any of the help who wasn't white. My attitude
was, if he doesn't want their help, he doesn't need mine. Whenever he wanted
something, I took my time finding him a white coworker.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

DexAZ

A fellow who wipes asses for a living doesn't think poorly of garbagemen's
contributions to society in general. OTOH, this fellow had no business

looking
down his nose at the doctor because he was a little darker than others.

The doc
was raised and educated in Ohio. It was the blatant racism that offended

me.
The patient was openly abusive of any of the help who wasn't white. My

attitude
was, if he doesn't want their help, he doesn't need mine. Whenever he

wanted
something, I took my time finding him a white coworker.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Does he carry his prejudice to the point of refusing himself certain
medications, treatments & procedures? He'd probably be surprised that not
all of the medical wonders we enjoy today were invented, discovered or
developed by white, English speaking Christians in the USA. It would be
interesting to find out what treatments/procedures/medications he needed to
regain his health and what the religious, cultural etc. background of those
who brought that treatment etc. to modern medicine was. If he knew, he
would probably limit his own treatments to a nice big enema. (I _hope_
those were invented by white Europeans at least) But as that might be
administered by a Filipino nurse...well, I guess that is out too.
So...there he is, just one more bigot, full of shiRt!

DexAZ

Rick Stein

Yitah Wu wrote:
I work for one of the big two (was big three) so I understand the "Buy
American" thing.

Unfortunately, everybody's moving overseas and you really have to look hard
to find something made in the US. I bought a Delta Planer and Drill press,
and after unpacking it, found that the DP is made in China and the planer is
made in Taiwan. China is still suspect in my book, but my experience is
that stuff out of Taiwan is consistently good quality. Separately, I bought
a Fuji bicycle, since it's a old, old brand out of Japan. Suprise, it's
made in Taiwan too.

The last bikes FUJI actually made in Japan were produced around 1987 or
1988 (give or take a year). The mid 1980's were the heyday for Japanese
made bikes - Fuji and Miyata come to mind. In 1986, IMO, the absolute
best year for Japanese bikes sold in this country, the dollar was at an
alltime high against the Yen, so importing Japanese goods to America
provided enormous values for American consumers. The currency exchange
rates starting reversing direction after 1986, and ultimately, Japanese
manufactures starting contracting with Tiawan to produce their designs.
Ultimately, Tiawan bikes got to be pretty good, but never as good as
their counterparts from Japan. Miyata held on longer than Fuji as a
purely Japanese bike supplier, but even they succumbed before 1990.
Panasonic and Bridgestone were the other major Japanese bike
manufacturers - mostly producing bikes under contract for marketing
companies. At one time, I think Bridgestone was the largest.

Now, China is the country or origin for many mid-level bikes sold in
this country. They produce equipment more cost-efficiently than Tiawan,
so production moved there -- probably not as good as Tiawan, but I'm
only guessing on that score.

Rick

Bill McNutt

For myself, I bought a Jet bench mortiser because it was the best
value for the dollar, and for no other reason. It wasn't the
cheapest, and there were better ones out there, but it does the job
and didn't break the bank.

I won't buy crap, just because it's cheap, but I certainly won't buy
it just because it's American. American manufacturers need to find
way to make better tools at a competative price.

Bill

(Doug Miller) wrote in message om...
In article . com, "Oregon" wrote:
A recent WoodCraft flier revealed that the Jet bandsaw I've been lusting
after is made in Taiwan. I've got this "buy American" thing happening,
partly because...well, I'm an American, and because other than cars and
electronics, I'm not convinced that those foreign boys make a decent
product. My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench. So
what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy. I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?

Charlie Self

Mortimer Schnerd notes:

A fellow who wipes asses for a living doesn't think poorly of garbagemen's
contributions to society in general. OTOH, this fellow had no business
looking
down his nose at the doctor because he was a little darker than others. The
doc
was raised and educated in Ohio. It was the blatant racism that offended me.
The patient was openly abusive of any of the help who wasn't white. My
attitude
was, if he doesn't want their help, he doesn't need mine. Whenever he wanted
something, I took my time finding him a white coworker.

What I said: his problem is not his job. His problem is that he is bigoted
fool.

Charlie Self
"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in
America." William J. Clinton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Swingman

"Bill McNutt" wrote in message

American manufacturers need to find
way to make better tools at a competative price.

Most that are still in business today do just that ... they take it overseas
to take advantage of the lower cost of the second of the two necessities for
goods production in Eco 101.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

Ron Magen

About 3 to 5 years ago I wanted a 'new' small outboard that had the ability
to 'shift' gears. With the 3.5hp you were 'in gear' ALL the time. I had to
swing it 180 degrees and lean way over the transom to be in 'reverse'. A bit
tricky for getting a sailboat into a slip or to a ramp. While Yamaha,
Tahotsu, and Nissan {actually made by Tahotsu !!} are all over the place, I
wanted to at least *try* to 'buy American'. I had started out - MANY years
ago - with an Evinrude, a great American 'standard'.

I also believe in *shopping*, plus there are actually very few 'small'
engines available. I finally found an 'older' dealer - in 'downtown South
Philly'. He had a 'leftover' 6hp, extra-long shaft Evinrude 'Yachttwin' -
with a generator. This was EXACTLY what I was looking for - it was
specifically for SAILBOATS !!

Lugged the carton home - a BIG carton, it had a 'impromptu' stand inside for
shipping support - and into the shop. I put together a 'work stand' tall
enough to allow the 25 inch 'shaft' to clear the floor, and got the motor
set-up. As I 'prepped' it - cleaning, waxing, greasing - I noticed the
attached metal 'manufacturers plate' . . . 'Made in BELGIUM' !! Talk about
stunned !!

Anyhow, the motor works fine. 'Evinrude' {at least the outboards}have been
sold to 'Bombardier' of Canada. And that's the last time I went 'out of my
way' to be 'patriotic'.

Could I go on ranting about the inequity of it all ? - ABSOLUTELY, but it
wouldn't do any good.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Bill McNutt" wrote in message

American manufacturers need to find
way to make better tools at a competative price.

Most that are still in business today do just that ... they take it

overseas
to take advantage of the lower cost of the second of the two necessities

for
goods production in Eco 101.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

TeamCasa

This also applies to Harbor Freight and other trash tool importers.

"B a r r y" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:40:01 GMT, "Oregon" wrote:

Snip

What bothers me about the "Global Economy" are the news sound bites of
laid-off factory workers in Ohio, North Carolina, etc... complaining
that the President hasn't created jobs, as they walk into _WAL*MART*!
G We're choosing our own path here.

Barry

Bruce

I would prefer to always buy American made products but
that's increasingly difficult now, obviously. I don't
really have anything against an import saw or other tool
but if I can find one made in America that's as good as
the import and isn't significantly more expensive then
I'll buy it. That being said, I couldn't find any saw
for anywhere near the same money as my General Internationl
50-185 LM1 that had the same features or quality.
Regarding the Jet, I wasn't all that impressed with them.
Nice saw, but for the money I liked the GI better. I looked
at four different models of Jet saw from the cheapest
contractor saw to a fully outfitted cabinet saw and all
four had what I would call an unuseable miter gauge. The
pin that the head rotated on was loose in it's hole. You
could tighten the adjustment down as tight as possible but
there was no way tighten the pin in it's hole. All four
were like that. I asked the store manager at one store
and the salesman at another and both had never noticed it
before. Neither had an explanation but the manager guy
did say he'd call Jet about it and get back to me...He
never did and I suspect it's because Jet just shrugged
their shoulders. I strongly considered buying the Jet
hybrid saw from my local dealer but because of the useless
miter gauge and, more importantly, because the dealer
never addressed the issue I'm now the very satisfied owner
of the GI saw. I paid less and overall got a better saw.
Ok, so I haven't tried to deal with GI customer service
but I haven't had too either.

Bruce
Redding, Ca.
Silvan

Doug Miller wrote:

"Made in Taiwan" is a lot better than "Made in China". At least the
capitalist economy in Taiwan provides a better incentive for quality than
does China's communist system.

Second that... It's gotten to the point, sad though it may be, where Made
in Taiwan is a relatively good thing. I'd buy Taiwanese over Chinese any
day, even if China still insists that Taiwan is a wayward province.

American is better, of course, but let's not even go there.

AFAIK, JET has *always* been an importer. Am I wrong about that old time
Wreckers? Seems they came onto the scene with imported copies of Delta
tools, and they've always been an importer, rather than a manufacturer.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

ddinc

My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench.

The whole world is metric except US and England.

Quick, divide 1.301mm by 5.

Now try 4 ft. 3 in and 7/32"

The world does change....

For the better.

Greg O

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
om...
My garbageman drives a fully restored '61 corvette. He lives about 3

blocks
from where I do. As you say, nothing wrong with being a garbageman.

Mike

Too bad he can not afford a new one! ;-)
Greg

George

Japan Equipment & Tools was, I believe, the original J.E.T.

"Silvan" wrote in message

AFAIK, JET has *always* been an importer. Am I wrong about that old time
Wreckers? Seems they came onto the scene with imported copies of Delta
tools, and they've always been an importer, rather than a manufacturer.

Brian Elfert

"Swingman" writes:

"Bill McNutt" wrote in message

American manufacturers need to find
way to make better tools at a competative price.

Most that are still in business today do just that ... they take it overseas
to take advantage of the lower cost of the second of the two necessities for
goods production in Eco 101.

You're not an American manufacturer if your stuff is made overseas. You
are an American importer then.

Brian Elfert
Swingman

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
"Swingman" writes:

"Bill McNutt" wrote in message

American manufacturers need to find
way to make better tools at a competative price.

Most that are still in business today do just that ... they take it

overseas
to take advantage of the lower cost of the second of the two necessities

for
goods production in Eco 101.

You're not an American manufacturer if your stuff is made overseas. You
are an American importer then.

Agreed ... notice the trend?

Although I am not a Bush basher, and can't swear to it as it may just be
partisan BS, but I recently read somewhere that the Admininistration is
trying to get fast food restaurants re-classifed from "Service" to
"Manufacturing".

With the number of manufacturing jobs being lost to this country, it's not
hard to figure how much better that would be for the statistics.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message news:-Kidncu0_tgDydrdRVn-
Agreed ... notice the trend?

Although I am not a Bush basher, and can't swear to it as it may just be
partisan BS, but I recently read somewhere that the Admininistration is
trying to get fast food restaurants re-classifed from "Service" to
"Manufacturing".

With the number of manufacturing jobs being lost to this country, it's not
hard to figure how much better that would be for the statistics.

Shoot Swingman, I thought McDonalds was imported food.

Mark

Leon wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message news:-Kidncu0_tgDydrdRVn-

Agreed ... notice the trend?

Although I am not a Bush basher, and can't swear to it as it may just be
partisan BS, but I recently read somewhere that the Admininistration is
trying to get fast food restaurants re-classifed from "Service" to
"Manufacturing".

With the number of manufacturing jobs being lost to this country, it's not
hard to figure how much better that would be for the statistics.

Shoot Swingman, I thought McDonalds was imported food.

McDonalds has food? When did this happen?

I heard the same thing as Swingman, the Administration wants to reclassify fast
food workers as manufacturing workers.

What's sad is there are people who will quote the new statistics with the new
classification as though they were numbers under the old classification.

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)

Swingman

"B a r r y" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:09:39 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Although I am not a Bush basher, and can't swear to it as it may just be
partisan BS, but I recently read somewhere that the Admininistration is
trying to get fast food restaurants re-classifed from "Service" to
"Manufacturing".

I've heard that as well, but couldn't place a source.

Google turned up this:

http://www.senate.gov/~schumer/Schum..._releases/PR02
454.html

Pretty ridiculous, eh? Our government in action.

Especially love the following:

"If fast food is classified as manufacturing, perhaps the neighborhood
lemonade stand should be considered part of the military-industrial
complex,"

yeah!! ... now you're really fooling us! LOL.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

BTW, when did you change your name?

Charlie Self

Swingman responods:

Although I am not a Bush basher, and can't swear to it as it may just be
partisan BS, but I recently read somewhere that the Admininistration is
trying to get fast food restaurants re-classifed from "Service" to
"Manufacturing".

I've heard that as well, but couldn't place a source.

Google turned up this:

http://www.senate.gov/~schumer/Schum..._releases/PR02
454.html

Pretty ridiculous, eh? Our government in action.

Especially love the following:

"If fast food is classified as manufacturing, perhaps the neighborhood
lemonade stand should be considered part of the military-industrial
complex,"

It's funny, but the thought processes that can formulate that sort of nonsense
should have been left to Monty Python. As political thought, it is scary.

My wife had heard this somewhere and I didn't believe it. But, then, I'm the
guy who once told his first set of in-laws that I didn't believe Spiro Agnew
had sold out as Governor of Maryland...my rationale was simple. 85K wasn't
enough for a guy in his position. But, of course, it was.

Charlie Self
"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in
America." William J. Clinton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Rick

or even Harley Davidson for that matter

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,fritter and waste the
hours in an offhand way......"
mttt

"Swingman" wrote in message

Although I am not a Bush basher, and can't swear to it as it may just be
partisan BS, but I recently read somewhere that the Admininistration is
trying to get fast food restaurants re-classifed from "Service" to
"Manufacturing".

I heard that teaser too on NPR and stayed in the car long enough to listen
to the whole story.

As ridiculous as it sounds, the commentator went on to say that the
classification is pretty arbitrary. IIRC, "bakers" are an example of folks
already classified as Manufacturers.

My take-home after the piece ended was that as absurd as the McDonald's
reclassification was - the government's already done a bang-up job of
screwing it up. Dubya' was, at best, "piling on".

mttt

"Silvan" wrote in message

AFAIK, JET has *always* been an importer. Am I wrong about that old

time
Wreckers? Seems they came onto the scene with imported copies of Delta
tools, and they've always been an importer, rather than a manufacturer.

Myth - According to the "Jet History" section in my Ittura Designs catalog.
The history is a tad obscure and relies on knowledge of early workers. But
the story goes that "Whazz-His-Name" (the man who started Jet) rode an early
707 to Japan. Liked it, was impressed, and adapted the moniker to his
company.

Yes - according to that history - Jet started as an importer. What plans
WMH has for it, remains to be seen.

mttt

"Oregon" wrote in message
igy.com...

My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench.

Zowie dude - relax. You're heading for an aneurism. Save your strokes for
bigger things - things like Torx!

So what's the scoop with Jet? Seems to be a quality tool, but "made in

Taiwan"
doesn't fill me with tool-joy.

Don't think of it as "Taiwan" - think of it as "Formosa".

I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I researched
the country of origin for my Delta and Craftsman tools.
Your thoughts on the matter?

I'ma thinking you're kind of inherently disappointable.
Maybe? Huh?

Bob Davis

10 years ago, the gray haired American educated and born internist finished
my father's physical exam. The young Iranian med student at his side, asked
if it would be ok if he palpated my father's abdomen. That young foreigner
discovered an aortic aneurism - a ticking time bomb for sure death which the
internist had missed. The repair surgery was successful and I have had a
father to coach and support me through the most tumultuous years of my
career.

Quality can be found in all nations. I buy lots of Jet.

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...

I remember a patient who didn't want a particular doctor because he was of
Indian extraction... no matter that he'd lived in this country since he

was four
years old. Turns out the patient was a garbageman. His mama must be

proud of
*him*.

Silvan

mttt wrote:

Yes - according to that history - Jet started as an importer. What plans
WMH has for it, remains to be seen.

What else do you expect? They're going to dump quality into the toilet and
slap JET stickers on every piece of crap they can get their hands on.
That's what such people almost always do. Buy a respected brand, sell
anything they can lay their hands on under that brand, run it into the
toilet, and then get rid of the division after its reputation is destroyed.

(Yes, I'm still ****ed off about the total crap sitting on store shelves
wearing the Tonka brand name. Hasbro, you suck, and I don't mean that in a
Wreck way.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Swingman wrote:

trying to get fast food restaurants re-classifed from "Service" to
"Manufacturing".

With the number of manufacturing jobs being lost to this country, it's not
hard to figure how much better that would be for the statistics.

Good grief.

Though I can sort of see it in a way. Next they'll do the same for BORG
type jobs. After all, grabbing items and slapping them across a scanner is
another robot-like endeavor. Next thing you know, every cashier in the
country will have a manufacturing job.