Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for safety switch covers

David Nebenzahl writes:

The customer is
concerned that the switch could be mistaken for a light switch and
turned off, as am I, so I looked for some kind of cover for it with no
luck.

Surely you can improvise something. Or just cut the switch paddle short
and stubby.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:49:31 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Just helped do an installation of a tankless water heater for a
customer. My part of it was wiring the heater (it's got electric
ignition). It's wired to a switch inside the house. The customer is
concerned that the switch could be mistaken for a light switch and
turned off, as am I, so I looked for some kind of cover for it with no
luck. I was hoping to find something like the little rectangular metal
box covers that one sees on furnace switches; you know, the ones that
flip up to. The only ones I could find, however, have a switch and a
fuse mounted in a duplex box, with the cover over the fuse, not the
switch (I don't need a fuse anyhow).

These little covers would be perfect. Are these available anywhere for
use with switches? I'm thinking either a cover plate that has the safety
cover built into it, or a cover that could be screwed over an exisiting
switch plate.

I think you can get the hinged boxes
at Army Ballistic Missile Supply Surplus Store.

They have guidance systems and recently got a new order of nose cones
from Taiwan.

I did find some interesting switch covers on line. These ones

http://www.epinions.com/content_406023409284

fit over any standard light switch that you want to make sure either
doesn't get turned on or off by mistake. However, they're a bit
expensive, I think, plus they can get lost.

The other alternative that I'm going to use in the meantime are those
little plastic tabs you can screw onto a switch to keep it in one
position or the other. Also not ideal, since you then need a tool to
flip the switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KJS KJS is offline

There are plastic switchguards available which are like small boxes with
hinged lids which fasten to the coverplate screws. You can pop open the
cover with your fingers to get at the switch, but it takes some intention.
I've used them for kitchen disposal switches and similar applications.

Take a look at these:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....&st=7916&st2=-
41768417&st3=67972723&Product_ID=53&CATID=1&test=t estpl

Or this (same item at higher price, but shorter URL):
http://www.babyguard.com/swlogu.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2008 11:18 PM KJS spake thus:

There are plastic switchguards available which are like small boxes with
hinged lids which fasten to the coverplate screws. You can pop open the
cover with your fingers to get at the switch, but it takes some intention.
I've used them for kitchen disposal switches and similar applications.

Take a look at these:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....&st=7916&st2=-
41768417&st3=67972723&Product_ID=53&CATID=1&test=t estpl

Or this (same item at higher price, but shorter URL):
http://www.babyguard.com/swlogu.html

In our contest for the most appropriate solution to the problem I gave,
the winner is ... you. This looks the closest to what I was asking for.
Thanks.

By the way, you might consider getting a news reader that doesn't chop
up long URLs (like Thunderbird, what I use). Just a suggestion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Just helped do an installation of a tankless water heater for a customer.
My part of it was wiring the heater (it's got electric ignition). It's
wired to a switch inside the house. The customer is concerned that the
switch could be mistaken for a light switch and turned off, as am I, so I
looked for some kind of cover for it with no luck. I was hoping to find
something like the little rectangular metal

You didn't go to the local electrical supply place did you? These things do
exist, but maybe not at Home Cheapo.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:18:38 GMT, KJS wrote:

There are plastic switchguards available which are like small boxes with
hinged lids which fasten to the coverplate screws. You can pop open the
cover with your fingers to get at the switch, but it takes some intention.
I've used them for kitchen disposal switches and similar applications.

Take a look at these:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....&test=t estpl

People who boutht thtat, bought this, they say:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....roduct_ID=2814

A screw extractor that looks pretty good, if it works

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:04:24 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]

When they chop them, just click on reply and then put the pieces back
together again, by clicking Delete twice. That's what I did to get
to the link and it worked fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2008 3:50 PM Bob M. spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Just helped do an installation of a tankless water heater for a customer.
My part of it was wiring the heater (it's got electric ignition). It's
wired to a switch inside the house. The customer is concerned that the
switch could be mistaken for a light switch and turned off, as am I, so I
looked for some kind of cover for it with no luck. I was hoping to find
something like the little rectangular metal

You didn't go to the local electrical supply place did you? These things do
exist, but maybe not at Home Cheapo.

Home Despot? I think not sniff. Nope, I went to a real electrical
supply place. At first, the guy had no idea what I was talking about,
until I mentioned furnaces. Apparently, the only switch covers they
carry are on weatherproof boxes.

Speaking of stuff they carry (or don't) at electrical suppliers, I was
really surprised recently to find out that these places don't carry the
oval-head screws used to hold switch and outlet covers on. When I asked,
all they could show me were round-head screws, which don't look right at
all (wrong shape, and ugly zinc-chromate finish); they claimed that this
is what electricians used (I don't believe that). I finally found the
right screws at an Ace Hardware store (nickel ones in this case).
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I did find some interesting switch covers on line. These ones

http://www.epinions.com/content_406023409284

fit over any standard light switch that you want to make sure either
doesn't get turned on or off by mistake. However, they're a bit
expensive, I think, plus they can get lost.

I bought a few of those exact type of covers several years ago to cover the
light switches to the motion sensored floodlights outside. They work perfectly
for their purpose and they pop on and off with a solid click. I have yet to
lose one.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

But typically you don't cover a safety switch. The usual really common
installation for that residential application is to install a red
handled toggle switch with a red colored plate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 2:49*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Where's the switch located? Is it actually in a location where it is
conveniently accessible and actually could be mistaken for a light
switch?

If it is, I humbly suggest it was placed in the wrong location. I have
a switch for the ice wires on my house and I purposely placed it where
it won't ever be mistaken for a light switch *and* labeled it as to
it's purpose. The idea is "intention". Based on it's location and
labeling, I seriously doubt anyone would flip this switch "just to see
what it would do".

I did the same for my garbage disposal. It's located behind the dish
drain rack, well away from any light switches. Again, you have to want
to use it, and if so, you'll know it's purpose by the label.

Just my thoughts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2008 8:49 AM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

[...]

Yes, it is. See below.

If it is, I humbly suggest it was placed in the wrong location. I have
a switch for the ice wires on my house and I purposely placed it where
it won't ever be mistaken for a light switch *and* labeled it as to
it's purpose. The idea is "intention". Based on it's location and
labeling, I seriously doubt anyone would flip this switch "just to see
what it would do".

Point taken. It ended up where it is because, well, there was an
existing outlet that I took power from, and it was convenient (i.e.,
easiest) to put the outlet and the switch in a box in the same location.
I suppose what a guy should have done was to put the switch in a
separate box, out of reach and labeled. Next time.

I think I'm going to go with the "baby-proof" solution. Cheap,
effective, and nothing to lose.