Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Looking for safety switch covers

On Mar 27, 2:49*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Just helped do an installation of a tankless water heater for a
customer. My part of it was wiring the heater (it's got electric
ignition). It's wired to a switch inside the house. The customer is
concerned that the switch could be mistaken for a light switch and
turned off, as am I, so I looked for some kind of cover for it with no
luck. I was hoping to find something like the little rectangular metal
box covers that one sees on furnace switches; you know, the ones that
flip up to. The only ones I could find, however, have a switch and a
fuse mounted in a duplex box, with the cover over the fuse, not the
switch (I don't need a fuse anyhow).

These little covers would be perfect. Are these available anywhere for
use with switches? I'm thinking either a cover plate that has the safety
cover built into it, or a cover that could be screwed over an exisiting
switch plate.

I did find some interesting switch covers on line. These ones

http://www.epinions.com/content_406023409284

fit over any standard light switch that you want to make sure either
doesn't get turned on or off by mistake. However, they're a bit
expensive, I think, plus they can get lost.

The other alternative that I'm going to use in the meantime are those
little plastic tabs you can screw onto a switch to keep it in one
position or the other. Also not ideal, since you then need a tool to
flip the switch.

Where's the switch located? Is it actually in a location where it is
conveniently accessible and actually could be mistaken for a light
switch?

If it is, I humbly suggest it was placed in the wrong location. I have
a switch for the ice wires on my house and I purposely placed it where
it won't ever be mistaken for a light switch *and* labeled it as to
it's purpose. The idea is "intention". Based on it's location and
labeling, I seriously doubt anyone would flip this switch "just to see
what it would do".

I did the same for my garbage disposal. It's located behind the dish
drain rack, well away from any light switches. Again, you have to want
to use it, and if so, you'll know it's purpose by the label.

Just my thoughts.