Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opinions of this electric heated blower, for heating a garage?

I currently have a 85k BTU forced air propane heater for my garage.
The propane can get expensive.

Does this look like a suitable substitute to you?

Does any have an experience with this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 6:25�pm, bryan wrote:
I currently have a 85k BTU forced air propane heater for my garage.
The propane can get expensive.

Does this look like a suitable substitute to you?

Does any have an experience with this?

electric will cost more..............
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:25:05 -0700 (PDT), bryan
wrote:

I currently have a 85k BTU forced air propane heater for my garage.
The propane can get expensive.

Does this look like a suitable substitute to you?

Does any have an experience with this?

That heater is 1350 watts. If my memory serves that's less than
5000 BTU- 1/17th the output of the heater you have. So if the
heater you have is only on 1/17th of the time or less, the little
electric one won't keep up.

Propane is expensive, but unless you live in the TVA areas I'll bet it
is still cheaper than electricity.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 6:25*pm, bryan wrote:
I currently have a 85k BTU forced air propane heater for my garage.
The propane can get expensive.

Does this look like a suitable substitute to you?

Does any have an experience with this?

Its about only 5000 btu, so you need 17 of them, what do you pay per
kwh, for me in the midwest electric is more expensive at .125 kwh than
Ngas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 6:25?pm, bryan wrote:
I currently have a 85k BTU forced air propane heater for my garage.
The propane can get expensive.

Does this look like a suitable substitute to you?

Does any have an experience with this?

That is 4610 Btu. Sure, it will work as well if you get 18 of them and are
willing to pay electric prices. In most cases, electricity costs more than
propane.

I see that the heater also has outlets for power tools. The heater is going
to pull close to the maximum allowed on a circuit so adding a saw is going
to trip breakers if used in that manner. There are also inaccuracies in the
description of the motor; "Two-speed motor: 1700/2850 feet per minute" I'd
not have anything from Harbor Freight in my house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 9:19*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
On Mar 20, 6:25?pm, bryan wrote:

I currently have a 85k BTU forced air propane heater for my garage.
The propane can get expensive.

Does this look like a suitable substitute to you?

Does any have an experience with this?

That is 4610 Btu. Sure, it will work as well if you get 18 of them and are
willing to pay electric prices. *In most cases, electricity costs more than
propane.

I see that the heater also has outlets for power tools. *The heater is going
to pull close to the maximum allowed on a circuit so adding a saw is going
to trip breakers if used in that manner. *There are also inaccuracies in the
description of the motor; "Two-speed motor: 1700/2850 feet per minute" *I'd
not have anything from Harbor Freight in my house.

He better buy 36 of them HF stuff only lasts a few weeks
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
bryan wrote:

I currently have a 85k BTU forced air propane heater for my garage.
Does this look like a suitable substitute to you?

No.

My first thought was to dismiss it out-of-hand simply due to the "harbor
freight" URL. Still, I went and checked it out.

It's a heated, forced-air RUG DRYER fer pete's sake. 1350-watts won't
make a DENT in the temperature if the 85k propane heater was just
adequate to the task.

The propane can get expensive.

So what? That's the CO$T of heating the space. Either live with it or
wait until Spring to work in that space.

That cheapie carpet-dryer from HF will be a BIG disappointment. Take
the $70 you would spend to confirm my claim and BUY MORE PROPANE.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

I'd not have anything from Harbor Freight in my house.

Not if you want to KEEP your house.

We can't get the ChiComs to keep the lead out of their exported
children's toys. One can only imagine the TRASH they sell to HF.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 10:11 pm, Jim Redelfs
wrote:
In article
,

bryan wrote:
I currently have a 85k BTU forced air propane heater for my garage.
Does this look like a suitable substitute to you?

No.

My first thought was to dismiss it out-of-hand simply due to the "harbor
freight" URL. Still, I went and checked it out.

It's a heated, forced-air RUG DRYER fer pete's sake. 1350-watts won't
make a DENT in the temperature if the 85k propane heater was just
adequate to the task.

The propane can get expensive.

So what? That's the CO$T of heating the space. Either live with it or
wait until Spring to work in that space.

Wow, ask a dumb question, get a borderline aggressive answer.

Still, thanks everyone for helping me figure that out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
bryanska wrote:

Wow, ask a dumb question, get a borderline aggressive answer.

Still, thanks everyone for helping me figure that out.

To your credit, your follow-up was quite measured, indeed. Thank-you.
And your query wasn't dumb. I still believe the only truly DUMB
question is one that isn't asked.

With substantially less bluster, allow me to add that my experience with
TWO electric space heaters in my otherwise unheated garage was less than
satisfactory while the same space is nicely warmed by a 30,000-btu,
fan-forced, propane-fueled heater. Quite frankly, the electrics didn't
warm the space much at all.

My first home was heated with an electric, forced-air, central furnace.
It had two "banks" of elements, 5kw each. They were "staged" two
degrees apart. Normal maintenance of the thermostat setting used only
one bank. Cranking-up the setting by more than two degrees activated
the second element bank.

One day, on a semi-lunatic lark, I fired-up all four "burners" on the
electric range in the kitchen. I also turned on both elements in the
broiler/oven. I then ran a tub full of very warm water for the
daughters' bath. This activated both elements of the water heater.

I switched-on every light and appliance I could find. I left open the
refrigerator door long enough to ensure its compressor ran. I recall I
found the steam iron and plugged that in. An electric space heater or
two was added to the mix. I cranked-up the thermostat in the hall to
get the furnace going at full bore. I then donned my parka and went
outside to check the electric meter.

It was an unbelievable sight. Never before or since have I seen one
spin at such a rate. It was awesome.

Our local power utility named one of their peaking units in my honor.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

Insulate and weatherstrip the garage well, increases home resale value
and uses less propane till you sell it. spray foam is costly but at R6
per inch it has the highest r value of all insulators and seal cracks
and air leaks great.........