Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Need opinions on garage cabinet project...

I told myself I'd get organized this year, so I'm making some MDF-carcass
cabinets with face frames, doors and 1/4-ply backs: approx. 79"Hx47"Wx16"D.
I plan on hanging them (kinda like kitchen cabinets) on the wall...to keep
them 6" off the garage floor...on three rows of 1"x2" strips (screwed to
studs): top, middle and bottom.

I'm a little concerned about the weight of these things. Does this "hanging
plan" sound workable? Thanks a lot, guys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote in message
I told myself I'd get organized this year, so I'm making some MDF-carcass
cabinets with face frames, doors and 1/4-ply backs: approx. 79"Hx47"Wx16"D.
I plan on hanging them (kinda like kitchen cabinets) on the wall...to keep
them 6" off the garage floor...on three rows of 1"x2" strips (screwed to
studs): top, middle and bottom.

I'm a little concerned about the weight of these things. Does this
"hanging plan" sound workable? Thanks a lot, guys.

That is going to be a lot of weight on that wall. Considering that they
will only be 6" off of the floor I would certainly build a 6" tall base to
set them on and then attach at the top to the walls to prevent tipping.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
I told myself I'd get organized this year, so I'm making some MDF-carcass
cabinets with face frames, doors and 1/4-ply backs: approx. 79"Hx47"Wx16"D.
I plan on hanging them (kinda like kitchen cabinets) on the wall...to keep
them 6" off the garage floor...on three rows of 1"x2" strips (screwed to
studs): top, middle and bottom.

For only 6" off the floor you may as well use legs or a base of some kind.

However, if you really want to hang them, consider using a pair of
french cleats (top and bottom) that can be built into the cabinet for
more strength.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote in message

I told myself I'd get organized this year, so I'm making some MDF-carcass
cabinets with face frames, doors and 1/4-ply backs: approx.

79"Hx47"Wx16"D.
I plan on hanging them (kinda like kitchen cabinets) on the wall...to keep
them 6" off the garage floor...on three rows of 1"x2" strips (screwed to
studs): top, middle and bottom.

I'm a little concerned about the weight of these things. Does this

"hanging
plan" sound workable? Thanks a lot, guys.

You plan would be quite workable with plywood, but dicey with mdf ... AAMOF,
I wouldn't even try.

If mdf is your final choice, you really want to consider placing the boxes
on a 6" base, let the floor take the weight, and let the hanger strips
fasten them to the wall.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 31, 5:56 pm, "tom" wrote:
I told myself I'd get organized this year, so I'm making some MDF-carcass
cabinets with face frames, doors and 1/4-ply backs: approx. 79"Hx47"Wx16"D.
I plan on hanging them (kinda like kitchen cabinets) on the wall...to keep
them 6" off the garage floor...on three rows of 1"x2" strips (screwed to
studs): top, middle and bottom.

I'm a little concerned about the weight of these things. Does this "hanging
plan" sound workable? Thanks a lot, guys.

I also would recommend plywood or even OSB since you are adding face
frames. 6" off the floor suggests they will also serve as the base
for a counter or workbench. Don't know what your reasoning is for the
6" but if its water but bricks under the cabinets with plastic between
the bricks and cabinets to keep the water out. I wouldn't hang them
to use as a base for a workbench.