Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Stained Concrete Floor

On Mar 12, 8:33*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
My house was built by a concrete man, so he put in textured stained concrete
floors that look like slabs of rock. *I like them and I don't. *But we won't
go into that.

We took out a wall to make room for the pool table, and we had some soffit
work done to accommodate HVAC. *During the process, drywall dust was dropped
on the floor. *We have vacuumed with a shopvac, a good vac with a HEPA
filter, swept, mopped, mopped again, swept again and still there is a dull
white film where there should be rust colored concrete.

I want to put a sealer on the floor, but not with this white stuff on there.

Has anyone cleaned these before? *I have only tried vacuuming and mopping
with regular cleaners so far, but it's still there. *I am considering
vinegar, diluted muriatic acid, or whatever other acid or alkali solution
that may react with that dust and neutralize it or help it go into the mop
water solution.

Help appreciated as always. *Will definitely test small out of the way areas
before doing the major part. *We're going to put a three foot strip of
carpet around the wall, so there will be plenty of places to test that will
be covered.

Steve

Call the conrete guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:33:37 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

Squeeze half a lime onto a inconspicuous place and see it helps in
cleaning the dust. Do not use Muriatic acid on stained concrete, imo.

There must be a reason the floor hasn't already been sealed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
During the process, drywall dust was dropped on the floor. We have
vacuumed with a shopvac, a good vac with a HEPA filter, swept, mopped,
mopped again, swept again and still there is a dull white film where there
should be rust colored concrete.

Help appreciated as always. Will definitely test small out of the way
areas before doing the major part. We're going to put a three foot strip
of carpet around the wall, so there will be plenty of places to test that
will be covered.

Drywall dust is ground gypsum. I don't think chemicals will do much good.
I'd try a wet vac or carpet cleaner of some sort that puts down water and
sucks it up. I've seen commercial scrubbers that do a fantastic job on
concrete floors and it will probably work on yours if you get the right
combo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "SteveB" wrote:

Has anyone cleaned these before? I have only tried vacuuming and mopping
with regular cleaners so far, but it's still there. I am considering
vinegar, diluted muriatic acid, or whatever other acid or alkali solution
that may react with that dust and neutralize it or help it go into the mop
water solution.

I think anything potent enough to react with drywall dust
is going to make a real mess of the existing stained finish.

I'd focus on wiping, sucking, floating it off. I might try
water with a little dishwasher rince aid or laundry detergent
added as a wetting agent. Denatured alcohol might be worth
a try too since it has good wetting properties even though
it's rather volatile.

I do think disolving drywall dust is a loosing proposition.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

It would be important to find out what type of sealer was used the
first time. Water based/solvent based, breathable/non, gloss
factor (not as important). You don't want to change families.

Good information he
http://www.thestampstore.com/c/Sealers/Sealers.html

This page might also be of use:
http://www.thestampstore.com/c/Strip...+Cleaners.html
though it is more about cleaning existing concrete prior to stain
or other treatment.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]