Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Oil/Gas Mix from Concrete Floor

I'm looking for some suggestions cleaning up an oil/gas mix spill from
the concrete floor of my garage.

The tank on an old snow thrower leaked. I put some a dry substance on it
(can't recall the brand name) that I had purchased from Wal-Mart intended to
absorb the spill.

I have a strong gas smell in the garage and, with temps not expected to get
above the mid-20s this week, my options for aggressively rinsing the area
are a bit limited. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks !
Posted to alt.home.repair
newsreader

Simple Green does a decent job. Laundry detergents also work OK. Both do
require a fair amount of rinsing with water.

Though much more expensive, and more flamable than gas, Acetone will
dissolve darn near anything. Problem with Acetone is it evaporates so fast.
Wear a mask, rubber gloves, and provide lots of ventilation.

wrote in message
m...
I'm looking for some suggestions cleaning up an oil/gas mix spill from
the concrete floor of my garage.

The tank on an old snow thrower leaked. I put some a dry substance on it
(can't recall the brand name) that I had purchased from Wal-Mart intended

absorb the spill.

I have a strong gas smell in the garage and, with temps not expected to

get
above the mid-20s this week, my options for aggressively rinsing the area
are a bit limited. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

No, don't use acetone or the like in a garage; too many pockets &
corners for it to collect the fumes in, even with forced
ventilation.

It's an accident waiting to happen.

Detergents will work, and there are also cleaners made
specifically to remove gas & oil from the concrete - visit a
local NAPA or similar auto goods store.

HTH,

Pop

:
: Though much more expensive, and more flamable than gas, Acetone
will
: dissolve darn near anything. Problem with Acetone is it
evaporates so fast.
: Wear a mask, rubber gloves, and provide lots of ventilation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
newsreader

"Pop" wrote in message
et...
No, don't use acetone or the like in a garage; too many pockets &
corners for it to collect the fumes in, even with forced
ventilation.

It's an accident waiting to happen.

Detergents will work, and there are also cleaners made
specifically to remove gas & oil from the concrete - visit a
local NAPA or similar auto goods store.

HTH,

Pop

Good advice Pop, I stand corrected. Of coarse one must also consider the
danger of the gasoline inside the garage as well. I'm no chemist, but aren't
gas fumes just about as bad?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"newsreader" wrote in message
news :
: "Pop" wrote in message
: et...
[...]
lol, that's sort of a catch-22! You'll be just as cooked after
either one, so ... 6 of one?

Seriously, I have no idea and no background to make any kind of
Physics guess. While it's slightly less flammable temp wise, the
same spark would set either one off in concentration. What I'm
not so sure of, which makes me curious, is whether the flammable
part of gasoline fumes float, combine with, or settle downward
in, the air. Alcohol et al goes everywhere and mixes well with
the atmosphere it's in, esp the water molecules, but gasoline
.... hmm,.

Maybe someone that actually knows will pipe in. But I still
wouldn't use either if I wanted to see tomorrow.

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
nospambob

Garaged water heaters in CALIF must be (I believe) at least 18" above
floor with grills in the walls for fumes to escape as gas fumes are
heavier than air and settle.
Paper had a story about someone cleaning the kitchen floor with
lacquer thinner until the gas stove pilot found fumes. Serious burns
hospital reported.

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:44:36 -0500, "Pop"
wrote:

"newsreader" wrote in message
news :
: "Pop" wrote in message
: et...
[...]

Junior Member

Location: Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I'm looking for some suggestions cleaning up an oil/gas mix spill from
the concrete floor of my garage.

The tank on an old snow thrower leaked. I put some a dry substance on it
(can't recall the brand name) that I had purchased from Wal-Mart intended to
absorb the spill.

I have a strong gas smell in the garage and, with temps not expected to get
above the mid-20s this week, my options for aggressively rinsing the area
are a bit limited. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks !

You can buy good concrete cleaner/degreaser at autoparts stores. Castrol Superclean for example. Another solution is TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) found at home improvement stores. Its a powder that you mix with water. Follow the mixing intructions and let it sit on the stain for about 20 min and rinse away with water.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Miller

Take dry cement and throw on the spill, leave for a week or so. Thats
what we did when a space heater went out during the night, pumped 12
gallons of fuel oil on the floor. Dried it so we could tile the floor
later on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon

kirk28 wrote:

Another solution is TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) found at home
improvement stores. Its a powder that you mix with water.
Follow the mixing intructions and let it sit on the stain for about
20 min and rinse away with water.

==================

Just be alert when purchasing the TSP. There are TSP look-alikes
out there such as a product labeled "PF-TSP." That means "phosphate
free TSP", which is an oxymoron since TSP must, by definition, be
loaded with phosphates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to daved, Marcus Pandolfo wrote:
Simply wash with dawn and water.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...oor-58798-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to newsreader, FmlyDskst wrote:
Fumes of gas are what ignites, gas as a liquid you can put out a match if
quick enough though very stupid to try. A drum with a cup of gas in it will
explode horribly because of the gas accumulating. I know this is an old post
but this is for the next one looking.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...oor-58798-.htm