Nate Perkins

Default Cleaning/protecting concrete shop floor

Hi all,

After a couple of years of woodworking the concrete floor in my shop area
looks pretty mucked up. Spilled glue spots, finishing mess, etc.

Is there a good way to clean it besides renting a power sander?

And are there any sealants that can be put on the concrete that will keep
the glue and mess from sticking ... for example, Thompson Waterseal,
paints, epoxy, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Phisherman

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 07:06:32 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

Hi all,

After a couple of years of woodworking the concrete floor in my shop area
looks pretty mucked up. Spilled glue spots, finishing mess, etc.

Is there a good way to clean it besides renting a power sander?

And are there any sealants that can be put on the concrete that will keep
the glue and mess from sticking ... for example, Thompson Waterseal,
paints, epoxy, etc?

Thanks in advance.

There are epoxy sealers for concrete floors. I applied mine using a
mop. I remove dried glue with a putty knife.
loutent

Hi Nate,

I had pretty bad concrete floors in my shop a few years
ago. They had been painted maybe 10 years earlier, but
needed an upgrade from all the woodworking.

After scraping the glue, putty etc, I "washed" a 10 x 10
(approx) area with liquid sandpaper and an old towel
that I rised out often in some fresh water.

A section a day till I finished.

I rolled on some Behr concrete/floor paint and have never
had any peeling problems. Our basement is pretty dry tho.
Another 5 years and I'll do the same.

Lou

In article 01, Nate
Perkins wrote:

Hi all,

After a couple of years of woodworking the concrete floor in my shop area
looks pretty mucked up. Spilled glue spots, finishing mess, etc.

Is there a good way to clean it besides renting a power sander?

And are there any sealants that can be put on the concrete that will keep
the glue and mess from sticking ... for example, Thompson Waterseal,
paints, epoxy, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Nate Perkins

Phisherman wrote in
:

wrote:

Hi all,

After a couple of years of woodworking the concrete floor in my shop
area looks pretty mucked up. Spilled glue spots, finishing mess, etc.

Is there a good way to clean it besides renting a power sander?

And are there any sealants that can be put on the concrete that will
keep the glue and mess from sticking ... for example, Thompson
Waterseal, paints, epoxy, etc?

Thanks in advance.

There are epoxy sealers for concrete floors. I applied mine using a
mop. I remove dried glue with a putty knife.

That sounds like the ticket. What sort of epoxy sealer did you use? I
did a Google and found lots of types ... Duraseal, Rhinofloor,
Floorcote, etc. Some seem to require an acid etch, and some just need a
degreaser prior to application.

I get the impression that some are true epoxies and others are "epoxy-
based paints."

Anything that would render the floor a little more non-stick would be
great. I am finding that once the glue dries on my existing concrete
it's a real bugger to get off. And the floor is getting to be too ugly
even for my low standards.

Nate Perkins

loutent wrote in
:

Hi Nate,

I had pretty bad concrete floors in my shop a few years
ago. They had been painted maybe 10 years earlier, but
needed an upgrade from all the woodworking.

After scraping the glue, putty etc, I "washed" a 10 x 10
(approx) area with liquid sandpaper and an old towel
that I rised out often in some fresh water.

A section a day till I finished.

I rolled on some Behr concrete/floor paint and have never
had any peeling problems. Our basement is pretty dry tho.
Another 5 years and I'll do the same.

Hi Lou,

This is probably a dumb question, but what's "liquid sandpaper?"

Do you find that the Behr paint makes the cleanup of spilled glue and
finish any easier?

Thanks,
Nate

loutent

Hi Nate,

Liquid sandpaper is a wipe-on liquid that cleans
and roughs the surface a little. I use it mostly on
non-woodworking type projects where there is dirt
or gloss to eliminate. Got mine at HD.

I don't think that Behr makes it easier to get the
glue up (maybe like an epoxy would) but it is
is good paint that did not flake off.

Lou

This is probably a dumb question, but what's "liquid sandpaper?"

Do you find that the Behr paint makes the cleanup of spilled glue and
finish any easier?

Thanks,
Nate

Nate Perkins

loutent wrote in :

Hi Nate,

Liquid sandpaper is a wipe-on liquid that cleans
and roughs the surface a little. I use it mostly on
non-woodworking type projects where there is dirt
or gloss to eliminate. Got mine at HD.

I don't think that Behr makes it easier to get the
glue up (maybe like an epoxy would) but it is
is good paint that did not flake off.

Lou

Thanks very much for the info, Lou. I appreciate it.