Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_5_] SteveB[_5_] is offline

Default Cleaning Stained Concrete Floor

My house was built by a concrete man, so he put in textured stained concrete
floors that look like slabs of rock. I like them and I don't. But we won't
go into that.

We took out a wall to make room for the pool table, and we had some soffit
work done to accommodate HVAC. During the process, drywall dust was dropped
on the floor. We have vacuumed with a shopvac, a good vac with a HEPA
filter, swept, mopped, mopped again, swept again and still there is a dull
white film where there should be rust colored concrete.

I want to put a sealer on the floor, but not with this white stuff on there.

Has anyone cleaned these before? I have only tried vacuuming and mopping
with regular cleaners so far, but it's still there. I am considering
vinegar, diluted muriatic acid, or whatever other acid or alkali solution
that may react with that dust and neutralize it or help it go into the mop
water solution.

Help appreciated as always. Will definitely test small out of the way areas
before doing the major part. We're going to put a three foot strip of
carpet around the wall, so there will be plenty of places to test that will
be covered.

Steve