Posted to alt.home.repair

Default venetian plaster removal

Hi,

I have been living in my 80 year old house for about 1.5 years. The
previous owners decided to renew the bathroom by putting their version
of what looks like venetian plaster on the walls. It's got to go
(they did a terrible job). My question is - can I sand what's there a
bit and then skim coat the walls with joint compound, prime and paint
to "restore" the walls back to the drywall?

Thanks for the help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 4:49�pm, Rich wrote:
Hi,

I have been living in my 80 year old house for about 1.5 years. �The
previous owners decided to renew the bathroom by putting their version
of what looks like venetian plaster on the walls. �It's got to go
(they did a terrible job). �My question is - can I sand what's there a
bit and then skim coat the walls with joint compound, prime and paint
to "restore" the walls back to the drywall?

Thanks for the help.

yeah that should do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rich wrote:

Hi,

I have been living in my 80 year old house for about 1.5 years. The
previous owners decided to renew the bathroom by putting their version
of what looks like venetian plaster on the walls. It's got to go
(they did a terrible job). My question is - can I sand what's there a
bit and then skim coat the walls with joint compound, prime and paint
to "restore" the walls back to the drywall?

Thanks for the help.

Depends on how they did it - I think true venetian plaster requires a
wax coat - if so I'd start with a wax remover rather than gumming up the
sandpaper and leaving wax to repel the mud.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Didn't know about the wax coat, so I might try that first...thanks for
the info.

On Feb 24, 7:39*pm, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi,

I have been living in my 80 year old house for about 1.5 years. *The
previous owners decided to renew the bathroom by putting their version
of what looks likevenetianplasteron the walls. *It's got to go
(they did a terrible job). *My question is - can I sand what's there a
bit and then skim coat the walls with joint compound, prime and paint
to "restore" the walls back to the drywall?

Thanks for the help.

Depends on how they did it - I think truevenetianplasterrequires a
wax coat - if so I'd start with a wax remover rather than gumming up the
sandpaper and leaving wax to repel the mud.

Posted to alt.home.repair

quick follow-up question...what kind of wax removers do you
recommend? I have been looking for specifics online, and the only
ideas I had were that of scrubbing the walls with paint thinner to
remove the wax, but that sounds very caustic?! I thought there might
be something specific for removing this kind of wax (assuming that
what they put there).

Thanks again.

wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi,

I have been living in my 80 year old house for about 1.5 years. *The
previous owners decided to renew the bathroom by putting their version
of what looks likevenetianplasteron the walls. *It's got to go
(they did a terrible job). *My question is - can I sand what's there a
bit and then skim coat the walls with joint compound, prime and paint
to "restore" the walls back to the drywall?

Thanks for the help.

Depends on how they did it - I think truevenetianplasterrequires a
wax coat - if so I'd start with a wax remover rather than gumming up the
sandpaper and leaving wax to repel the mud.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For their venetian plaster paint, Behr recommends sanding. No, you can't
use huge slabs of joint compound like it was plaster...unless of course
you're into cracking and peeling.