DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   venetian plaster removal (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/234989-venetian-plaster-removal.html)

Rich February 24th 08 09:49 PM

venetian plaster removal

Hi,

I have been living in my 80 year old house for about 1.5 years. The
previous owners decided to renew the bathroom by putting their version
of what looks like venetian plaster on the walls. It's got to go
(they did a terrible job). My question is - can I sand what's there a
bit and then skim coat the walls with joint compound, prime and paint
to "restore" the walls back to the drywall?

Thanks for the help.

[email protected] February 24th 08 11:34 PM

venetian plaster removal

On Feb 24, 4:49�pm, Rich wrote:
Hi,

I have been living in my 80 year old house for about 1.5 years. �The
previous owners decided to renew the bathroom by putting their version
of what looks like venetian plaster on the walls. �It's got to go
(they did a terrible job). �My question is - can I sand what's there a
bit and then skim coat the walls with joint compound, prime and paint
to "restore" the walls back to the drywall?

Thanks for the help.

yeah that should do it.

Bob (but not THAT Bob) February 25th 08 12:39 AM

venetian plaster removal

Rich wrote:

Hi,

I have been living in my 80 year old house for about 1.5 years. The
previous owners decided to renew the bathroom by putting their version
of what looks like venetian plaster on the walls. It's got to go
(they did a terrible job). My question is - can I sand what's there a
bit and then skim coat the walls with joint compound, prime and paint
to "restore" the walls back to the drywall?

Thanks for the help.

Depends on how they did it - I think true venetian plaster requires a
wax coat - if so I'd start with a wax remover rather than gumming up the
sandpaper and leaving wax to repel the mud.

Rich February 25th 08 03:08 PM

venetian plaster removal

Didn't know about the wax coat, so I might try that first...thanks for
the info.

Rich March 2nd 08 04:45 PM

venetian plaster removal

quick follow-up question...what kind of wax removers do you
recommend? I have been looking for specifics online, and the only
ideas I had were that of scrubbing the walls with paint thinner to
remove the wax, but that sounds very caustic?! I thought there might
be something specific for removing this kind of wax (assuming that
what they put there).

Thanks again.

Curmudgeon March 3rd 08 12:32 AM

venetian plaster removal

For their venetian plaster paint, Behr recommends sanding. No, you can't
use huge slabs of joint compound like it was plaster...unless of course
you're into cracking and peeling.