Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Rich is offline

Default venetian plaster removal

quick follow-up question...what kind of wax removers do you
recommend? I have been looking for specifics online, and the only
ideas I had were that of scrubbing the walls with paint thinner to
remove the wax, but that sounds very caustic?! I thought there might
be something specific for removing this kind of wax (assuming that
what they put there).

Thanks again.

On Feb 24, 7:39*pm, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi,

I have been living in my 80 year old house for about 1.5 years. *The
previous owners decided to renew the bathroom by putting their version
of what looks likevenetianplasteron the walls. *It's got to go
(they did a terrible job). *My question is - can I sand what's there a
bit and then skim coat the walls with joint compound, prime and paint
to "restore" the walls back to the drywall?

Thanks for the help.

Depends on how they did it - I think truevenetianplasterrequires a
wax coat - if so I'd start with a wax remover rather than gumming up the
sandpaper and leaving wax to repel the mud.