Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Protecting (and cleaning) chrome

I have a glass table with chrome sawhorse legs. I haven't polished them in
20 years. As the table is dismantled I want to take the opportunity to
clean them.

I'm using Noxon. It is very slow going. It takes a lot of rubbing to get
the rust off. I'm thinking a Dobie sponge, maybe with the sponge removed,
would be better.

But my big question is after I get it all clean just what can I do to keep
it from rusting again? Some sort of wax? Doing some google searching I find
that Mother's Chrome Polish claims to protect. I bought the all-purpose
Noxon as I did not find anything in the store that was chrome specific. But
then I did not go to an automotive store.

So what do people here suggest I do?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
I have a glass table with chrome sawhorse legs. I haven't polished them in
20 years. As the table is dismantled I want to take the opportunity to
clean them.

I'm using Noxon. It is very slow going. It takes a lot of rubbing to get
the rust off. I'm thinking a Dobie sponge, maybe with the sponge removed,
would be better.

But my big question is after I get it all clean just what can I do to keep
it from rusting again? Some sort of wax? Doing some google searching I find
that Mother's Chrome Polish claims to protect. I bought the all-purpose
Noxon as I did not find anything in the store that was chrome specific. But
then I did not go to an automotive store.

So what do people here suggest I do?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

you might want to post to an automotive group for ideas; polishing old
chrome is a common automotive task

I have heard that crumpled up aluminum foil will help quite a bit, try
using that instead of a rag for inital polishing.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Nate Nagel wrote:

you might want to post to an automotive group for ideas; polishing old
chrome is a common automotive task

Interesting suggestion. I had not thought of that. I don't own a car, so
I've never checked out whether such groups even exist.

I have heard that crumpled up aluminum foil will help quite a bit, try
using that instead of a rag for inital polishing.

I did see that in my google searches. I would think that it could scratch
the chrome.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 6:47�pm, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Nate Nagel wrote:
you might want to post to an automotive group for ideas; polishing old
chrome is a common automotive task

Interesting suggestion. I had not thought of that. I don't own a car, so
I've never checked out whether such groups even exist.

I have heard that crumpled up aluminum foil will help quite a bit, try
using that instead of a rag for inital polishing.

I did see that in my google searches. I would think that it could scratch
the chrome.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

there are people who can rechome it, if its rusty the chrome finish
has failed.

look for auto body chrome companies.

their business has collapsed, newer cars have no chrome
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
I have a glass table with chrome sawhorse legs. I haven't polished
them in 20 years. As the table is dismantled I want to take the
opportunity to clean them.

I'm using Noxon. It is very slow going. It takes a lot of rubbing
to get the rust off. I'm thinking a Dobie sponge, maybe with the
sponge removed, would be better.

But my big question is after I get it all clean just what can I do
to keep it from rusting again? Some sort of wax? Doing some google
searching I find that Mother's Chrome Polish claims to protect. I
bought the all-purpose Noxon as I did not find anything in the
store that was chrome specific. But then I did not go to an
automotive store.

Chrome doesn't rust. If your piece is rusty it is the steel under the
chrome that is rusting and that means the plating job was less than
stellar in the first place.

Chrome is hard (much harder than aluminum foil) but it is also porous.
Perhaps you have heard the phrase, "triple chrome plated"? That
doesn't mean three layers of chrome on the steel, it means a layer of
copper followed by a layer of nickel followed by the chrome. In your
case, it would seem the steel itself was chromed.

If you get it cleaned up - hint: chrome polish - nothing you do will
keep the steel from continuing to rust. Paste wax may slow it but it
*will* continue. Rechroming is probably not a viable solution due to
cost...the piece would have to be dechromed (no big deal) and the
steel ground down to remove all pitting before polishing and
replating. Big bucks.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Protecting PEX from heat Eigenvector Home Repair 10 July 15th 06 07:13 PM
protecting Danish Oil Griffo Home Repair 7 March 11th 06 04:43 AM
Protecting Danish Oil Griffo UK diy 6 March 10th 06 11:08 AM
Cleaning/protecting concrete shop floor Nate Perkins Woodworking 6 February 9th 05 05:07 AM
Protecting Designs WoodJunkie Woodworking 3 August 4th 03 02:08 PM