Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Bath room fan CFM ratings

I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM. So
anything rated 68 CFM and above would work. I've been looking at 80 CFM
fans and also 100 CFM fans. If I go with a 100 CFM fan (or even 110) would
that be too powerful for my small bathroom or it doesn't matter?

Thanks,
Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Walter Cohen wrote:
I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68
CFM. So anything rated 68 CFM and above would work. I've been looking
at 80 CFM fans and also 100 CFM fans. If I go with a 100 CFM fan (or
even 110) would that be too powerful for my small bathroom or it doesn't
matter?

Thanks,
Walter

Hi,
Trying to suck out all the warm air?
Like cold bahroom?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM.
So anything rated 68 CFM and above would work. I've been looking at 80 CFM
fans and also 100 CFM fans. If I go with a 100 CFM fan (or even 110) would
that be too powerful for my small bathroom or it doesn't matter?

Skip the cheap NuTone and get a 120 cfm Panasonic. Much quieter. I don't
know how you did the calculations, but the amount of methane gas you produce
should be considered above anything else.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:57:02 -0500, "Walter Cohen"
wrote:

I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM.

So whay don't you share what the "usual cfm calculations" with us?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 03:05:56 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM.
So anything rated 68 CFM and above would work. I've been looking at 80 CFM
fans and also 100 CFM fans. If I go with a 100 CFM fan (or even 110) would
that be too powerful for my small bathroom or it doesn't matter?

Skip the cheap NuTone and get a 120 cfm Panasonic. Much quieter. I don't
know how you did the calculations, but the amount of methane gas you produce
should be considered above anything else.

somebody who needs 100+CFM should also get something with a spark arrester.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM.

So whay don't you share what the "usual cfm calculations" with us?

350lb man
15lbs of beans per day
10lbs of cabbage per day
you do the math.
Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house

On Feb 5, 9:57*pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM. *So
anything rated 68 CFM and above would work. *I've been looking at 80 CFM
fans and also 100 CFM fans. *If I go with a 100 CFM fan (or even 110) would
that be too powerful for my small bathroom or it doesn't matter?

Thanks,
Walter

Broan makes a 70CFM. Keep in mind noise also becomes a factor the
larger CFM you get, unless you ante up and buy the quiet models. What
size is your bathroom?
Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house

its probably more important to have a air intake to the room so air
can flow, perhaps a louver in the door or some such.

otherwise the room is sucked to a vacuumn and the blower is
ineffective.

you can also install a fan thats at a remote location, like the point
where the air exits the home.

much quieter that way
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM. So
anything rated 68 CFM and above would work. I've been looking at 80 CFM
fans and also 100 CFM fans. If I go with a 100 CFM fan (or even 110) would
that be too powerful for my small bathroom or it doesn't matter?

Thanks,
Walter

Generally, the higher the CFM the more noise. If noise is not an
issue, go with the higher CFM. A wall timer for the fan circuit is a
good thing too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM.
So anything rated 68 CFM and above would work. I've been looking at 80 CFM
fans and also 100 CFM fans. If I go with a 100 CFM fan (or even 110) would
that be too powerful for my small bathroom or it doesn't matter?

Skip the cheap NuTone and get a 120 cfm Panasonic. Much quieter. I don't
know how you did the calculations, but the amount of methane gas you produce
should be considered above anything else.

What about moisture? Unless you are living in an arid climate,
fighting bathroom mold and mildew is no fun. Expect to pay 30% more
for a "quiet" fan with the same CFM.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM.

So whay don't you share what the "usual cfm calculations" with us?

350lb man
15lbs of beans per day
10lbs of cabbage per day
you do the math.

(350(x) * 15(y)) / 10(z) = 6 Fans

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 05:16:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

its probably more important to have a air intake to the room so air
can flow, perhaps a louver in the door or some such.

otherwise the room is sucked to a vacuumn and the blower is
ineffective.

you can also install a fan thats at a remote location, like the point
where the air exits the home.

much quieter that way

Most bathroom doors have enough gap at the bottom.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM.
So anything rated 68 CFM and above would work. I've been looking at 80 CFM
fans and also 100 CFM fans. If I go with a 100 CFM fan (or even 110) would
that be too powerful for my small bathroom or it doesn't matter?

Thanks,
Walter

There's ALMOST no such thing as too big a fan, especially if noise is not an
issue. How many people take showers, and in what period of time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
its probably more important to have a air intake to the room so air
can flow, perhaps a louver in the door or some such.

otherwise the room is sucked to a vacuumn and the blower is
ineffective.

you can also install a fan thats at a remote location, like the point
where the air exits the home.

much quieter that way

Most bathroom doors have enough gap at the bottom.

not in the homes i have visited
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:28:08 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I did the usual CFM calculation for my bathroom and came up with 68 CFM.
So anything rated 68 CFM and above would work. I've been looking at 80 CFM
fans and also 100 CFM fans. If I go with a 100 CFM fan (or even 110) would
that be too powerful for my small bathroom or it doesn't matter?

There's ALMOST no such thing as too big a fan, especially if noise is not an
issue. How many people take showers, and in what period of time?

We have a 150 CFM fan, Broan, in our master bath, mounted on an
exterior wall, that works flawlessly. We originally wanted an 80 or a
100, but our electrician couldn't get one he liked in those sizes
(plus he had a 100 in his own bathroom that wasn't effective), so he
got us the 150, and boy, this thing keeps the steam from forming. I
don't mind it when the weather is cold out, but others in the house
are pussies and wait to turn on the fan until after their showers are
finished. Defeating the purpose, in my view, but that's what they do.
Anyway, our bathroom is 10' x 7' with the shower pretty much in the
middle, and we're very happy with our fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

There's ALMOST no such thing as too big a fan, especially if noise is not an
issue. How many people take showers, and in what period of time?

I think there are some possible issues with the backflow of combustion
gases from furances or hot water heaters with an overly aggressive exhaust
fan.

My guess is you need the right other ingredients (very tight house, minimal
or no fresh air intake, gas hot water heater & furnace, strong fan and
limited loss exhaust duct) for this to be a significant issue, but I've
heard it mentioned more than once.

My personal experience has been that most insulated flexible exhaust
ducting of any length is so grossly inefficient that you almost need a high
CFM fan for it to be effective at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Also, when I mount the fan housing to the ceiling joist should I make use of
rubber stand-offs (washers) between the joist and the housing (to eliminate
any vibration/noise (in case there is any) against the wood joist?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

There's ALMOST no such thing as too big a fan, especially if noise is not
an issue. How many people take showers, and in what period of time?

I think there are some possible issues with the backflow of combustion
gases from furances or hot water heaters with an overly aggressive exhaust
fan.

My guess is you need the right other ingredients (very tight house,
minimal or no fresh air intake, gas hot water heater & furnace, strong fan
and limited loss exhaust duct) for this to be a significant issue, but
I've heard it mentioned more than once.

My personal experience has been that most insulated flexible exhaust
ducting of any length is so grossly inefficient that you almost need a
high CFM fan for it to be effective at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Walter Cohen wrote:
Well, I plan on using standard 4" round rigid exhaust ducting (aluminum)
vented through the roof, not the outside wall.

If you live in a cold climate, make sure to insulate the ducting as warm
air rushing through the ducting can lead to condensation problems in
uninsulated space the duct runs through.

On Feb 8, 3:30�pm, Howard Beale wrote:
Walter Cohen wrote:
Well, I plan on using standard 4" round rigid exhaust ducting (aluminum)
vented through the roof, not the outside wall.

If you live in a cold climate, make sure to insulate the ducting as warm
air rushing through the ducting can lead to condensation problems in
uninsulated space the duct runs through.

outside wall is better the fewer the roof penetrations the better

Adding a new Bath Room - Need help D J Home Repair 5 May 17th 07 03:55 AM
Wiggle room on Bath Fitters? dgk Home Repair 0 March 1st 07 01:17 PM
Bath room Fan Vents twfsa Home Repair 2 January 15th 05 07:53 PM
Kitchen lights under bath room - regulations? Seri UK diy 7 January 12th 05 09:43 PM
Bath tap seemingly welded to iron bath mfcexpert UK diy 10 December 12th 03 10:26 PM