Posted to rec.woodworking, alt.home.repair

Default Project idea: cieling shelf for model train

I just created a new website dedicated to building a display case for
a running model train. The design shows how to build a display case
mounted only six inches below the cieling, that runs around the
parimeter of the room. It works in almost any room, and it doesn't
take up usable space. It is a clasier version than normal, with
plexiglass, crown molding, and a hidden rope light for asthetics.
Anyways, I thought I would share it with the world, and I figured this
was a good place to start. Let me know what you think!

www.ulvr.com/john/train

John
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Sat 02 Feb 2008 08:58:51a, told us...

I just created a new website dedicated to building a display case for
a running model train. The design shows how to build a display case
mounted only six inches below the cieling, that runs around the
parimeter of the room. It works in almost any room, and it doesn't
take up usable space. It is a clasier version than normal, with
plexiglass, crown molding, and a hidden rope light for asthetics.
Anyways, I thought I would share it with the world, and I figured this
was a good place to start. Let me know what you think!

www.ulvr.com/john/train

John

Very nice, John. It reminds me an installation in a very old hamburger
restaurant in Rocky River, OH. They had a train running the perimeter of
the room close to the ceiling for many decades. It was always charming.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 02(II)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Groundhog Day
Being down ain't being loser. (Iggy Pop)

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Sat 02 Feb 2008 09:48:25a, George told us...

wrote:
I just created a new website dedicated to building a display case for
a running model train. The design shows how to build a display case
mounted only six inches below the cieling, that runs around the
parimeter of the room. It works in almost any room, and it doesn't
take up usable space. It is a clasier version than normal, with
plexiglass, crown molding, and a hidden rope light for asthetics.
Anyways, I thought I would share it with the world, and I figured this
was a good place to start. Let me know what you think!

www.ulvr.com/john/train

John

Nice work, we go to a local mom & pop restaurant that has similar train
displays running around the dining room.

It wouldn't be in Rocky RIver, OH by any chance, would it?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 02(II)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Groundhog Day
If Helen Keller had psychic ability,
would you say she had a fourth sense?
--George Carlin

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

George wrote:
wrote:
I just created a new website dedicated to building a display case for
a running model train. The design shows how to build a display case
mounted only six inches below the cieling, that runs around the
parimeter of the room. It works in almost any room, and it doesn't
take up usable space. It is a clasier version than normal, with
plexiglass, crown molding, and a hidden rope light for asthetics.
Anyways, I thought I would share it with the world, and I figured
this was a good place to start. Let me know what you think!

www.ulvr.com/john/train

John

Nice work, we go to a local mom & pop restaurant that has similar
train displays running around the dining room.

With some slight modifications (lose the plexiglass, add a ladder), this
would make a swell catwalk - for real cats.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
I just created a new website dedicated to building a display case for
a running model train. The design shows how to build a display case
mounted only six inches below the cieling, that runs around the
parimeter of the room. It works in almost any room, and it doesn't
take up usable space. It is a clasier version than normal, with
plexiglass, crown molding, and a hidden rope light for asthetics.
Anyways, I thought I would share it with the world, and I figured this
was a good place to start. Let me know what you think!

www.ulvr.com/john/train

John

Nice work, we go to a local mom & pop restaurant that has similar train
displays running around the dining room.

It wouldn't be in Rocky RIver, OH by any chance, would it?

No, the place I mentioned is in PA.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Sat 02 Feb 2008 11:29:42a, George told us...

wrote:
I just created a new website dedicated to building a display case for
a running model train. The design shows how to build a display case
mounted only six inches below the cieling, that runs around the
parimeter of the room. It works in almost any room, and it doesn't
take up usable space. It is a clasier version than normal, with
plexiglass, crown molding, and a hidden rope light for asthetics.
Anyways, I thought I would share it with the world, and I figured this
was a good place to start. Let me know what you think!

www.ulvr.com/john/train

John
Nice work, we go to a local mom & pop restaurant that has similar train
displays running around the dining room.

It wouldn't be in Rocky RIver, OH by any chance, would it?

No, the place I mentioned is in PA.

Thanks, just wondered. I don't think too many such installations exist.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 02(II)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Groundhog Day
I'm not sure. - Werner Heisenberg

Posted to rec.woodworking, alt.home.repair

theres one in a ohio dairy queen, and used to be one in a hobby shop
in our local mall, the hobby shop closed.....

the hobby shop one went thru the wall and ran across the front of the
store

FLAWLESS trackage is critical, given service will be awkard at best

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Happy Joes Pizza in Burlington, Iowa has a train running around the
perimeter of its dining area.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

user wrote:

.... snip

Thanks, just wondered. I don't think too many such installations exist.

Happy Joes Pizza in Burlington, Iowa has a train running around the
perimeter of its dining area.

Swenson's in Tucson does as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking, alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote:
I believe there was (~ 8 1/2 yr ago) a restaurant near the Chicago train
station where the EXCELLENT burgers etc were delivered by model train. I
also believe it was urban renewed away, but I'm not sure of that.

That depends one -which- "Chicago train station" you mean. There are
the two biggies downtown, and oh, a couple hundred El and Metra
stops. ;-)

If you mean the Des Plaines Metra station, the Choo Choo Restaurant is
still around (since 1951!), the burgers are still excellent, and still
delivered by train. http://www.thechoochoo.com

ObWW: The Owl Lumber Des Plaines store is a half mile from the Choo
Choo. Lots of drool-worthy wood there.

Posted to rec.woodworking, alt.home.repair
z z is offline

wrote:
I just created a new website dedicated to building a display case for
a running model train. *The design shows how to build a display case
mounted only six inches below the cieling, that runs around the
parimeter of the room. *It works in almost any room, and it doesn't
take up usable space. *It is a clasier version than normal, with
plexiglass, crown molding, and a hidden rope light for asthetics.
Anyways, I thought I would share it with the world, and I figured this
was a good place to start. *Let me know what you think!

www.ulvr.com/john/train

John
Nice work, we go to a local mom & pop restaurant that has similar train
displays running around the dining room.

It wouldn't be in Rocky RIver, OH by any chance, would it?

No, the place I mentioned is in PA.- Hide quoted text -

There's another one near Chincoteague, VA.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Your "model" train diagram shows three rails (one in the middle) and 1 1/4"
spacing between the outside rails, most dedicated modellers would classify
this train as a toy train as it does not approach scale modeling in any
aspect.

3.184...

Date: Saturday, 02(II)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Groundhog Day
Being down ain't being loser. (Iggy Pop)

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Sun 03 Feb 2008 09:55:36a, Old_Boat told us...

[...]

It was called Beardens.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 02(II)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Groundhog Day
Being down ain't being loser. (Iggy Pop)

Yes, it was Bearden's, which used to be a local chain of a very few
locations. The one in Rocky River was the last, and was still there as
late as 2000 when we moved to AZ. They did, however, "modernize" and
renovate the place, and it lost all its charm, IMHO.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 02(II)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
PEDICU Bicycle repair.

Date: Saturday, 02(II)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Groundhog Day
Being down ain't being loser. (Iggy Pop)

Elitist ****s like you will be the 1st against the wall with the
coming of the new order...

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:
Your "model" train diagram shows three rails (one in the middle) and
1 1/4" spacing between the outside rails, most dedicated modellers
would classify this train as a toy train as it does not approach
scale modeling in any aspect.

Standard 0 gage track, runs on AC. One sometimes has to make
sacrifices of precision in favor of pragmatism.

Besides, many real trains _do_ have three rails, although not in that
precise layout.

Date: Saturday, 02(II)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Groundhog Day
Being down ain't being loser. (Iggy Pop)

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Feb 4, 5:02*pm, "EXT" wrote:
Your "model" train diagram shows three rails (one in the middle) and 1 1/4"
spacing between the outside rails, most dedicated modellers would classify
this train as a toy train as it does not approach scale modeling in any
aspect.

Actually, O-Guage 3-rail system is much more popular than the two
track O-Guage systems. It's been around since the thirties. It
allows the train to do a reverse loop (this was back before processors
were in everything, but it's stuck). For me, it the third track is
not an issue as it is mounted to high to be seen. For this particular
application, the three track system is better because it can take any
O-Gauge train, wheras the two track systems can only take trains
designed for two track systems. Two track trains tend to not be able
to negotiate as tight corners either, often having minimum turning
radii of 32" or more, which is not very practical for a cieling
mounted train. I actually did a bit of research on this very subject
before I built my set.

The 1 1/4" is actually pretty close to the 1.17" that an actual 1:48
scale track should be. Apperently, in Europe, O-Guage is 1:45, which
brings the track width even closer.

John

On Feb 4, 7:58*pm, julvr wrote:
On Feb 4, 5:02*pm, "EXT" wrote:

[...]

One more thing I forgot to mention -- for the purposes of this layout,
the three track system is good because it is simple to detect when the
train reaches a part of a track -- simply isolate one of the outside
rails. When the train passes over this section of track, the train
wheels will bridge the power, and you can use a relay to trigger an
event. When I built my setup, I issolated the track in two places --
the plan is to eventually make the whistle blow and some crossing
lights flash when the train nears the door, and to have it stop when
it reaches the window (I am planning to use an EZIO Relay Controller
for this, so everything is controlled via Insteon). I'll update the
web site once this is done, but forn now I have to spend my free time
on some other projects.