Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Who makes ***GREAT*** replacement windows?

I live in the cold northeast, and am looking to replace 17 windows in my 60
year old house with energy efficient and easy to maintain / repair windows.
This will be an expensive and messy project, impacting essentially every
room in the house, so I want to do it right the first time and make the best
choice I can for the window supplier.

I've been to see Pella, Andersen, Marvin as a first pass. I am especially
interested in dealing with a company that will be around a long time, if
there is any way to predict such things. My current 60 year old windows were
made by a company which went out of business years ago, and parts have not
been available for decades.

If ultra high efficiency has a good return on investment, and pays back
fast, I will certainly consider the premium price as being worthwhile.

Many thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
[...]

Two areas of thought, no answers.

First, how long do you think you will be in that house? How much you
are wlling
to pay for very high priced super efficient windows, with a longer
"payback" time,
may be a function of how long you plan to be in that house.

Second, while manufacturer longevity is an important part of what
windows to choose (replacement parts, warrantyserviceif a gas seal
blows, etc.), so, too is istaller longevity. Ideed , warranty from the
mfg may depend upon "correct" installation. Do some of the mfgrs. you
mention do their own installation? Are you going to use "Joe Handyman"
to install? A local remodeling contractor? A local construction co?

Just some more things to think about. Sorry that I have no "answers".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Jim!

Your reply and comments are very much appreciated and very appropriate.

I hope to be in this house at least 15 to 20 years, and rising heating costs
make super-efficient windows very likely to be a worthwhile investment.

I would expect / require the installer contractor to be either manufacturer
"approved" such as the Marvin window installations done locally through
their distributor "Big L", or through a place like Loews, HomeDepot, Sears,
etc. who will stand behind their installation over the long term. In either
case, I would expect to avoid the handyman, small independent shop, or
do-it-yourself approach since this is a big and expensive job, likely to
cost many tens of thousands of dollars based on my initial research.

Also, I did find an interesting web site called replacementwindows.com with
some user reviews and testimonials. I was very surprised to see Pella dinged
so much as I had expected that it was a leading brand.

Any / all comments are much appreciated and thanks again Jim,

Smarty

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..
Smarty wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article y8Ioj.7$lr3.4@trndny06, "Smarty"
wrote:

[...]

While past performance is no guarantee, my parents' house was built in
1918, and has Andersen windows. I think they make a good product, and I
think they'll be around for a while.

OTOH, their profit margin borders on obscene. I had several friends who
worked there, back in the day. At that time, anyway, *every* employee
rec'd a Christmas bonus, calculated as a percentage of their annual
wage, and based on company profitability. Typical bonus was 100%.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article dFIoj.7$EK3.2@trndny04, Smarty says...

[...]

I have Marvins, some new, but a lot are replacement "tilt-pac" windows for
double hung windows. They're quite good, but I concur that it's very important
to get them installed by a good contracator. I'd stay away from the big box
subcontractors and ask friends and neighbors who have recently remodelled or
replaced windows for a recommendation. The best contractors aren't in the phone
book. Although I did run across mine earlier in his career as a recommendataion
from a local supply.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 16:53:50 GMT, "Smarty" wrote:

[...]

CertainTeed makes a good window.

http://www.certainteed.com/certainteed/index.htm

Drill down to the regional products.*

http://www.certainteed.com/CertainTe...ws/default.htm

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 10:53*am, "Smarty" wrote:
[...]

Pellas are not great they condense quicker than Anderson. Marvin are
good. Andersons glass machine is a 25,000,000 dollar machine that
makes real clear coated glass. You should check ratings of windows to
know what to buy SHG, CDF, U value, air infiltration etc to know what
you are buying. Tripple pane will save more. I would think Marvin or
Anderson to be best. Hurd makes some efficent glass products for the
South and North
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
[...]

I had 3 Anderson sliders and 5 windows put in last year and am very
pleased with them. I like the E coat as it keeps out heat of sun in
summer and keeps in heat in winter. Glass also has the self cleaning
coating and outside windows are definitely cleaner. I also went with a
first class company in the area and installation was done in one day.

I happened to mention to one of the installers that I heard of people
replacing windows in houses that were less than 10 years old and his
comment was that it probably was due to windows not being installed
right the first time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
[...]

Just some more things to think about. *Sorry that I have no "answers".- Hide quoted text -

I assume you mean http://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com/ 'cuz
replacementwindows.com isn't much of a website, at least as far as I
can tell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Beware about warranties. My neighbor had a "Lifetime Warranty" on his
(very expensive) triple-pane windows. After 10 years most of them are
fogged up due to the gas leakage. The company is now out of business
making the "Lifetime Warranty" completely useless. Perhaps going with
a quality brand with a 10-year guarantee might be a good choice. My
parents bought triple-pane from Sears some 20 years ago and they still
look good--but I think they were one of the lucky ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good luck. The company i buy my GREAT windows from has changed suppliers 3
times in 3 years. Each time i bought windows, they have the same features,
but are markedly different windows. Just find one that offers an unlimited
lifetime warranty on leakage AND breakage.

"Smarty" wrote in message news:y8Ioj.7$lr3.4@trndny06...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 11:53*am, "Smarty" wrote:
[...]

Very simple. Just get windows from "Northeast aluminum products" They
sell "custom guard" vinyl windows wich are better than any of the big
brand names and can be installed in very little time. If the glass
breaks any glazing shop can repair it or you can just put in a whole
new window for about $150 or less if you do it yourself. Never
paint,no sweating frames, tilt in cleaning and hi efficency glass is
an option. They are in Philadelphia but will ship all over
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check out Alside vinyl

http://www.alside.com/index.aspx?page=510
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
I would expect / require the installer contractor to be either
manufacturer "approved" such as the Marvin window installations done
locally through their distributor "Big L", or through a place like Loews,
HomeDepot, Sears, etc. who will stand behind their installation over the
long term. In either case, I would expect to avoid the handyman, small
independent shop, or do-it-yourself approach since this is a big and
expensive job, likely to cost many tens of thousands of dollars based on
my initial research.

You are already off to a bad start. Sorry, but you are going to forgo some
of the best installers for a crap shoot lowest bidder by a big box store
that will not give a damn about you once the check clears. If it costs
tens of thousands of dollars, you are getting screwed or you live in a 15
story building with lots of windows. Figure $200 to $500 each installed.
Many variations exist as far as frames and glazing.

Many years ago I had a sideline business selling and installing windows and
doors. I made a bundle of money and did better work at lower cost than the
places you mention. Never had a callback. There are many reputable
contractors out there. Ask around.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ole ole is offline

I live on the Minnesota/Canadian border. Two days ago the wind chill here
was 48 below zero and my large Marvin picture window was actually slightly
warmer than the wall next to it. Also my Anderson French doors were
slightly warmer than the adjacent walls.

Marvin windows are manufactured about 100 miles from here in Warroad, MN and
I think are excellent for our cold winter weather. Also Anderson windows
are very good.

Personally I wouldn't consider anything else than these two companies for
windows and doors up here.

Just my two cents

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 11:53*am, "Smarty" wrote:
[...]

A Canadian manufacturer makes windows to higher standards that any you
named. The company is Loewen, they cost about 10% more (oops- that
was when the exchange rate was OK) than all you mentioned, but they
use Douglas fir, a hardwood, instead of pine like the others. As
well, all of their work is first class, architectural quality. Many
glazing options, up to triple pane.
DPA
Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

NeedleNose wrote:

A Canadian manufacturer makes windows to higher standards that any you
named. The company is Loewen, they cost about 10% more (oops- that
was when the exchange rate was OK) than all you mentioned, but they
use Douglas fir, a hardwood, instead of pine like the others. As
well, all of their work is first class, architectural quality. Many
glazing options, up to triple pane.
DPA

Uh, Douglas Fir is actually a softwood. (and Balsa is actually a hardwood).
Some of my neighbors have Loewen windows and seem to be happy with them.

The OP didn't say whether he was considering vinyl windows. If so
Milgard is a good one to check out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

M Q wrote:

NeedleNose wrote:

A Canadian manufacturer makes windows to higher standards that any you
named. The company is Loewen, they cost about 10% more (oops- that
was when the exchange rate was OK) than all you mentioned, but they
use Douglas fir, a hardwood, instead of pine like the others. As
well, all of their work is first class, architectural quality. Many
glazing options, up to triple pane.
DPA

Uh, Douglas Fir is actually a softwood. (and Balsa is actually a
hardwood).
Some of my neighbors have Loewen windows and seem to be happy with them.

In addition to that particular mistaken thought, I'd wager the actual
standards against which they test are the same as for the aforementioned
manufacturers are also the same and that each will have a class that
meets any particular level of test...a manufacturer's name means
something, but each of these makes a range of products. One has to
compare like _products_ not generic brands to make any rational comparison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 10:53*am, "Smarty" wrote:
[...]

The Loewren of Canada have a triple pane of R7. 2 that might be the
best you can get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 11:53 am, "Smarty" wrote:
I live in the cold northeast, and am looking to replace 17 windows in my 60
year old house with energy efficient and easy to maintain / repair windows.
This will be an expensive and messy project, impacting essentially every
room in the house, so I want to do it right the first time and make the best
choice I can for the window supplier.

I've been to see Pella, Andersen, Marvin as a first pass. I am especially
interested in dealing with a company that will be around a long time, if
there is any way to predict such things. My current 60 year old windows were
made by a company which went out of business years ago, and parts have not
been available for decades.

If ultra high efficiency has a good return on investment, and pays back
fast, I will certainly consider the premium price as being worthwhile.

I live in the cold Northeast as well, and have replaced 14 windows
over the past 2 years in our 1923 Colonial Revival house.

10 are Pella wood, 4 are "Pella" Thermastar vinyl.

In addition, we also had two Andersen windows installed by the
previous owner a couple years before we bought - one was among the 14
we replaced ourselves. The inner pane broke, according to the
previous owners without any prodding by them (I don't necessarily
believe them, but it was in the bathroom with extreme temperature and
humidity swings and for all I know was defective from the start).

The Andersen window that remains is a three-paned casement window in
the kitchen (the two outer panes open, middle pane is stationary). It
is easily the coldest window in the house, both in terms of air leaks
and in terms of radiating cold from the glass. I would replace it too
if it wasn't so large - it'd probably cost $1,000 to replace, and it
works fine, it's just wasting energy. I'm not happy with it, but
can't justify replacing it.

I would not personally buy Andersen windows based on this experience,
though I guess their wood windows could be better.

I'm pretty happy with the Pella wood windows we have - they work
great, they look great, they're easy to clean inside and out. Never
any condensation here, and we get down to 0 degrees where I am
occasionally. The inner pane always stays warm to the touch. I feel
like the weatherstripping where the two sashes meet could be better -
it's just a thin piece of vinyl, and when it's really cold I do feel a
little air coming through there - but it's not bad, and it could
probably be added on to pretty easily. I just haven't bothered. Only
other criticism I have is that the locks are proprietary (even generic
locks made for "thin" sashes won't fit), and the ones they sell in the
nicer finishes are really expensive. That might factor in to your
concern about getting parts if the company goes belly up, though I
think they've been around long enough that that's probably not going
to be an issue.

The Thermastar windows aren't nearly as good, but they're not "real"
Pella (they were another company that got bought by Pella). Anyway,
vinyl windows are vinyl windows as far as I'm concerned as long as
they keep the energy in, which they do well enough. I really wouldn't
buy any vinyl window for any room you care about the looks of - I've
never seen a vinyl window that didn't look like a cheap hunk of
plastic. (We put ours in the attic, mud room and bathroom). We
looked at several others before just going with these; even the really
expensive ones looked like cheap junk to us. Some vinyl windows are
more expensive than wood!

Pella and maybe other manufacturers have recently come out with
fiberglass windows - I would consider those, because they're supposed
to be low-maintenance like vinyl but look as warm and "chunky" as
wood. I haven't seen them myself, but that's the sales pitch. They
do cost a bit more than even wood, though.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

we use window world, get them out to show you their product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for the terrific suggestions. The DuraTherms cited below are
the nicest I have ever seen......... Looks like they must cost a fortune!

Thanks again.

Smarty

""Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "" wrote in
message ...
Smarty wrote:
[...]

If you like wood windows and like to pay lots of money try this:
http://www.durathermwindows.com/

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 10:31 am, "Smarty" wrote:
Thanks to all for the terrific suggestions. The Duratherms which were
recommended below are really outstanding...the nicest I have ever see.

Those seem to be intended mostly for industrial applications - they
seem to be competing with aluminum windows for large-scale
installations. The look of them is still pretty industrial. I don't
know if you'd be happy with that in an old house. Maybe in one of
these big modern mostly glass box houses, like they have pictured on
the homepage of their site.

Replacement Windows David Glass Home Repair 2 October 10th 07 09:03 PM
Replacement Windows Win Home Repair 3 May 21st 07 09:28 PM
Replacement Windows a12vman Home Repair 6 October 21st 06 06:48 PM
Replacement windows Fred Home Repair 1 September 26th 05 05:48 PM
Replacement Windows Claudia Home Repair 0 October 15th 04 04:18 PM