Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Who makes ***GREAT*** replacement windows?

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 16:53:50 GMT, "Smarty" wrote:

I live in the cold northeast, and am looking to replace 17 windows in my 60
year old house with energy efficient and easy to maintain / repair windows.
This will be an expensive and messy project, impacting essentially every
room in the house, so I want to do it right the first time and make the best
choice I can for the window supplier.

I've been to see Pella, Andersen, Marvin as a first pass. I am especially
interested in dealing with a company that will be around a long time, if
there is any way to predict such things. My current 60 year old windows were
made by a company which went out of business years ago, and parts have not
been available for decades.

If ultra high efficiency has a good return on investment, and pays back
fast, I will certainly consider the premium price as being worthwhile.

Many thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Smarty

Beware about warranties. My neighbor had a "Lifetime Warranty" on his
(very expensive) triple-pane windows. After 10 years most of them are
fogged up due to the gas leakage. The company is now out of business
making the "Lifetime Warranty" completely useless. Perhaps going with
a quality brand with a 10-year guarantee might be a good choice. My
parents bought triple-pane from Sears some 20 years ago and they still
look good--but I think they were one of the lucky ones.