Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Who makes ***GREAT*** replacement windows?

On Feb 1, 10:53*am, "Smarty" wrote:
I live in the cold northeast, and am looking to replace 17 windows in my 60
year old house with energy efficient and easy to maintain / repair windows..
This will be an expensive and messy project, impacting essentially every
room in the house, so I want to do it right the first time and make the best
choice I can for the window supplier.

I've been to see Pella, Andersen, Marvin as a first pass. I am especially
interested in dealing with a company that will be around a long time, if
there is any way to predict such things. My current 60 year old windows were
made by a company which went out of business years ago, and parts have not
been available for decades.

If ultra high efficiency has a good return on investment, and pays back
fast, I will certainly consider the premium price as being worthwhile.

Many thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Smarty

Pellas are not great they condense quicker than Anderson. Marvin are
good. Andersons glass machine is a 25,000,000 dollar machine that
makes real clear coated glass. You should check ratings of windows to
know what to buy SHG, CDF, U value, air infiltration etc to know what
you are buying. Tripple pane will save more. I would think Marvin or
Anderson to be best. Hurd makes some efficent glass products for the
South and North