Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement Windows

I have 9 Double Hung Windows on the front of the house which has a brick
exterior.

What are my options when it comes to brick? I won't buy another house that
has DH Windows: too many moving parts, too many drafts. I don't want to
remove brick to get to the nailing fins. Are the any companies out there
that make casement windows in a replacement?

This house is only 9 years old and the windows all leak, upper sashes fall,
very frustrating.

http://24.210.212.190/pub/window1.jpg
http://24.210.212.190/pub/window2.jpg

Thanks In Advance,
-a12vman

Posted to alt.home.repair

a12vman wrote:
I have 9 Double Hung Windows on the front of the house which has a
brick exterior.

What are my options when it comes to brick? I won't buy another
house that has DH Windows: too many moving parts, too many drafts. I
don't want to remove brick to get to the nailing fins. Are the any
companies out there that make casement windows in a replacement?

This house is only 9 years old and the windows all leak, upper sashes
fall, very frustrating.

http://24.210.212.190/pub/window1.jpg
http://24.210.212.190/pub/window2.jpg

Thanks In Advance,
-a12vman

Frankly your problems are not due to double hung windows, but your
problems are due to poor quality windows. It makes no difference what kind
of poor quality window you have, they will all quickly fail.

In my experience good double hung windows last longer and have fewer
problems than casement windows of the same quality.

Unfortunately quality windows and good installers are expensive in the
short run. They are far cheaper in the long run. I I would start by
finding the installer first and the specific window second. I would not
worry about how they are going to accomplish the job. A good professional
will assess your current situation and choose the correct method and product
to correct the problem. Even the best windows improperly installed will
soon disappoint you again.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

i use window worlds 2 pane windows with low e glass on my rentals.
230.00 each installed and as good or better than the 600.00 ones pushed
by other companies.been there, done that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"a12vman" wrote in message
.. .
I have 9 Double Hung Windows on the front of the house which has a brick
exterior.

What are my options when it comes to brick? I won't buy another house
that has DH Windows: too many moving parts, too many drafts. I don't want
to remove brick to get to the nailing fins. Are the any companies out
there that make casement windows in a replacement?

This house is only 9 years old and the windows all leak, upper sashes
fall, very frustrating.

You may have cheap windows, but there are many excellent double hung in the
marketplace.
The outside photo is kind of fuzzy and I'm not sure what it shows. Is there
no wood in the frame at all? I'm sure one way or another, they can be
removed without removing any brick. Is the house constructed of brick or
just a facade over a frame structure?

In older all brick homes, you were able to remove the trim, sash bead, then
the sash and put in a replacement unit against the remaining frame. If you
have windows nailed in and then a brick facade over it, removal is
different, but not impossible.

Go visit a Harvey window dealer and see what they have to offer. Use them
as a comparison for other brands you may consider.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:48:24 GMT, "a12vman"
wrote:

I have 9 Double Hung Windows on the front of the house which has a brick
exterior.

What are my options when it comes to brick? I won't buy another house that
has DH Windows: too many moving parts, too many drafts. I don't want to
remove brick to get to the nailing fins. Are the any companies out there
that make casement windows in a replacement?

This house is only 9 years old and the windows all leak, upper sashes fall,
very frustrating.

http://24.210.212.190/pub/window1.jpg
http://24.210.212.190/pub/window2.jpg

Thanks In Advance,
-a12vman

Yes, lots of companies can do exactly what you want. A list is
available at your lumberyard or box store.

You links don't work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW, I have a brick/block home circa 1961 with DH windows. I had them
replaced 3 years ago with Andersens, and have had no problems. The windows
were a complete tear-out, not just sash replacements.

Find a good installer with lots of references, and you should be ok.

Personally, I think if you have DH with grids, that's what you should
replace them with, otherwise your house looks funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
a12vman wrote:
[...]

I had all of my windows replaced this year with double-glazed tilt-in
windows. The contractor told me the same thing Joseph said about casement
windows. I had one fairly large casement window in my computer room, and he
created a replacement system where I have two side-by-side tilt-in windows
in place of the one casement window.

MaryL

Replacement Window Questions Robert11 Home Repair 3 July 9th 06 03:50 PM
Replacement Windows Matt Hoppes Home Repair 1 June 17th 06 07:17 AM
New Construction vs Replacement windows [email protected] Home Repair 4 June 16th 06 03:05 PM
Windows Replacement TerryB Home Repair 3 December 29th 05 05:01 PM
Replacement windows Gntry Home Repair 3 November 8th 05 05:59 PM