Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace Costs?

The furnace in my house is 16 years old. It is an oil-fired Sears 75000
btu forced hot air downflow furnace with a Becket burner. It was Searsı
top of the line unit when purchased in 1992. Note that this is a small
house (approx 1000 sq feet), so 75000 btu is more than adequate.

I recently had the unit repaired, several internal parts had to be
replaced. The repair person said I would need a new burner soon,
perhaps in a couple of years. He said perhaps I should get a whole new
furnace at that time, and that it would cost approximately $4000
installed. I am rather leery as to whether this is really needed,
especially considering that the furnace has a lifetime warranty on the
heat exchanger (I know, itıs next to impossible to collect!).

He did not say what it should cost to replace the burner but not the
furnace. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on that (including
installation), as well as whether I really would need to replace the
entire unit?

Thanks for your help.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 12:37*pm, Larry Weil wrote:
[...]

I had a new furnace install a couple of months ago - a Thermo Pride -
for a house about 3X as large and cost was ~$5,000 which included
variable speed fan. I suspect price quoted you is in the ball park.

Firebox was leaking and cost would have been prorated on a low end
Lennox. I was glad to get rid of it because all repairmen had told me
it was a low end unit.
Don't know aobut Sears but I don't think of quality when I think of
them.

Lennox only lasted 16 years and had replaced previous one - forget
brand - that also lasted only 16 years. When that one went, it was a
nightmare as whole house got smoked up and had to be cleaned.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get at least three companies to come out and give you a QUOTE (not an
estimate). You could probably get by with a 57,000 BTU furnace but can't
judge that over the internet.

Who installs it is more important than the brand, but DO get one that has a
lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger. Acouple examples are Thermopride
and Armstrong......

"Larry Weil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 11:37*am, Larry Weil wrote:
[...]

If it is a 92%+ efficent condensing unit you have no reason to even
consider replacement. But repairman all want to sell you a unit to
make money when their work is slow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt very seriously that it is a condensing-type furnace. I'm guessing
they are lucky
if they are getting even 82% efficiency out of it. I agree that there are
some companies
out there that will try to get you to buy a new furnace when you really
don't need one...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Where do you get 92% out of OP's post? He said it was installed in 1992.

I was going to ask the same thing. I was NOT the one that said anything
about 92%. It was the poster I was replying to. That's why I stated that I
doubt that the OP has a condensing type furnace.

16 years is awful short life for a furnace, IMHO. I have known several
that made 35-45 years, including the 1960 furnace in this house, that I
just replaced a year ago. Still worked fine, but burned a lot of gas.

O.K. Now I will nit-pick. Look at the OP and you will see he said it was an
oil furnace and not gas. But you are correct on a couple points:

16 years IS a short lifespan for a furnace. But when it comes to oil, hot
air furnaces aren't much more efficient then they wer 30 years ago. There
are a couple companies that make condensing oil furnaces, but they are
pricey and then you are still only talking about MAYBE 87% efficiency.

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
boiler costs - rough costs / options dirt dibbler UK diy 1 July 5th 07 10:39 AM
run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from rusting clickclack Home Repair 7 July 7th 06 10:55 PM
Thick accordion-type furnace filters - can I retrofit furnace for standard? bryanska Home Ownership 1 August 9th 05 09:24 PM
Rough estimate of new furnace/AC and water heater costs Me Home Repair 2 August 27th 04 02:06 PM