Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Furnace Costs?

On Jan 26, 11:37*am, Larry Weil wrote:
The furnace in my house is 16 years old. *It is an oil-fired Sears 75000
btu forced hot air downflow furnace with a Becket burner. *It was Searsı
top of the line unit when purchased in 1992. *Note that this is a small
house (approx 1000 sq feet), so 75000 btu is more than adequate.

I recently had the unit repaired, several internal parts had to be
replaced. *The repair person said I would need a new burner soon,
perhaps in a couple of years. *He said perhaps I should get a whole new
furnace at that time, and that it would cost approximately $4000
installed. *I am rather leery as to whether this is really needed,
especially considering that the furnace has a lifetime warranty on the
heat exchanger (I know, itıs next to impossible to collect!).

He did not say what it should cost to replace the burner but not the
furnace. *Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on that (including
installation), as well as whether I really would need to replace the
entire unit?

Thanks for your help.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

If it is a 92%+ efficent condensing unit you have no reason to even
consider replacement. But repairman all want to sell you a unit to
make money when their work is slow.